Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    My girl friend's daughter would not leave my mother's cat alone...then we were all in the kitchen and the kid was playing with one of those punch-balloons. Bap-bap-bap-POW...waaaaa!!!! And the black streaking to the bedroom. The little brat had cornered the cat with the balloon, so the cat did what a cat was going to do. I'm surprised the cat didn't have a coronary. My girlfriend didn't think it was funny.
    People don't seem to understand that toddlers can really inflict pain and even injuries on an animal, especially if it's small and that poor animal doesn't often have a lot of options. Toddlers and children in general, for their own safety, need to be taught how to interact with animals. If they aren't, the consequences can be disastrous.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    The rule on huskies is simple:

They cannot be trusted off a leash. Period. To much energy, too eager to play. No impulse control. They are bred to run, all out, under harness.
    That's basically true of all Spitz breeds. They are not all that domesticated which is why they look so much like their wolfen cousins.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,562
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,992x in 18,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Sometimes a person's fearful reaction to the dog's behavior actually encourages the crazy. The dog is barking and being aggressive and the owner is screaming at the dog to stop. Well, from the dog's perspective the yelling human is adding to the excitement. Everyone is barking! It actually reinforces the dog's behavior. The dog takes his clues from his leader. Using a shock collar may work on some dogs, but render other dogs fearful and anxious. Dogs have different personalities and sensibilities. There have been cases of dogs exposed to shock discipline that just refuse to go outdoors. If shock is used, the dog must be instantly rewarded for good behavior, but many people don't. I don't like them because people use them punitively.
    Oh yeah, a dog looks at it like, "yay, you're joining in!".

Redirecting works, too, for mine at least, he looks like he's getting ready to 'do something,' I'll say, "hey, c'mon, let's go," and start walking away, like towards the other side of the yard, he forgets about what he was going to do and, runs after me....then we play stick....he loves chasing sticks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-14-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Without knowing the circumstances of the growling, it's difficult to say in this instance. I agree that some dogs do have more aggressive tendencies than others. We had a half wolf female that was about 5-months-old when we got her. She was fine when hubby was at home but as soon as he wasn't she was giving me the side-eye and guarding her food. She was also really hinky with the neighbors and actually bit one - just a nip, but enough for me to say this isn't safe. Fortunately, I had the foresight to craft a sales agreement with the owner that required her to take the dog back and return my money. I had a feeling about that dog even before we bought her but hubby thought she was great. She was great with him ...
    We had hybrid wolf too, but we had to rehome him because he decided to eat the neighbor's llamas -- to be fair -- the neighbor's adult dog had a tendency to eat their llamas, and Chief, who was just 6 months, followed along. At first, I was hesitant with Chief (my daughter brought him home when he was just 2 months), but we bonded eventually. He was really funny, he tried so hard to be like the other dogs, he tried to bark but it came out as little sharp howls. He came to love the cats, they would sit on him like a cushion, and he got along with the other dogs.

Once, a horse kicked him and we took him to the vet. Our vet was closed so we went to a 24 hr. vet. That moron would not help him because he was a wolf. We had to wait until our vet opened Monday morning to set and cast his leg. I remember seeing some holes in the yard, and I asked my family if they knew which dog was digging. My son said it was Chief, but I figured it couldn't be him -- with a cast up to his shoulder. I was wrong -- I looked out the window once to see him swinging that casted leg like a bar - digging like mad. He was 3 months at the time.

After the llama incident, we took him to my sister in law's in Texas. Funny thing, though, while we only visited once or twice a year, that wolf always recognized us. The pact loyalty must be pretty strong.

I am, however, opposed to hybrid wolf breeding. While I loved Chief, I could see that it was wrong to mix domestic dog with wild animal. He was torn between two worlds and it wasn't fair to him.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (03-19-2019),Dr. Who (03-19-2019)

+ Reply to Thread