Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good points by many here.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Virtually ANY dog can (and will) attack other animals, especially non-domestic animals if the dog hasn't been raised around that type of animal and taught gentleness. Being a pit has nothing to do with it. Sadly, when such an attack is occurring, the dogs become hyper-blind to commands, and they could bite the interferer. Many times, the interferer immediately starts screaming at the dogs, which just creates more chaos, and in the dog's intensified mental state, makes things worse.

Raising a dog (responsibly) from a puppy (any dog) is usually enough to keep it from biting humans, but if the puppy was in a stressful situation with its mother (such as if the mother was abused, starved, etc.), the mother's anxiety and tendency to bite can imprint on the puppy even at that young age.

Pits are no more likely to attack goats, chickens, cats, whatever, than any other dog breed. Due to their rather strong jaws, however, they can do more damage than some other breeds.

Bottom line -- potential pet owners need to learn how to train their dogs to reduce their natural prey drive. Unfortunately, too many dog owners don't have a clue. Worse yet, people in general need to understand that they could get bit if they interfere in a dog/goat fight or a dog/dog fight.

I don't blame the guy for trying to stop the killing, though. He's got a good heart.
    The owners of the dogs did not socialize their dogs with the goats. Had they done so, the dogs would not have attacked them. They should have socialized their dogs with other animals before they were 16 weeks old. Most dog biting incidents are as a result of improper socialization with people or other animals.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-19-2019)

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,532
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,995x in 18,678 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The owners of the dogs did not socialize their dogs with the goats. Had they done so, the dogs would not have attacked them. They should have socialized their dogs with other animals before they were 16 weeks old. Most dog biting incidents are as a result of improper socialization with people or other animals.
    Still may not have worked, some dogs are drawn to other animals, when they run away, which leads to the chase and, killing.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Still may not have worked, some dogs are drawn to other animals, when they run away, which leads to the chase and, killing.
    Goats are unlikely to run away from puppies. If you wait too long to socialize dogs with the elements in their environment that they should take for granted, they can view them as challenges to their territory or objects of fear. That time for easy socialization is limited.

"Socialization is really classical conditioning – creating an association between two stimuli. Behavioral scientists have identified the period from 4 to 14 weeks as the most important window of time for a puppy's social development. After the age of 14 weeks that window starts to close, and it closes pretty quickly." https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...g_16130-1.html
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant, when the dog gets older/bigger, socialization or not, some dogs naturally have a higher, 'chase' drive, if the little animals run, they chase.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,456x in 13,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, not socializing the dogs with goats caused them to attack their owner? Is there no end to the excuses people will make up for pitbulls? Enough already.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

8. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (03-19-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I meant, when the dog gets older/bigger, socialization or not, some dogs naturally have a higher, 'chase' drive, if the little animals run, they chase.
    That may well be true of dogs with a high prey drive like hunter breeds. Pits don't. There is nothing in their background that includes hunters unless you include terriers who hunt vermin.

I question the credibility of the many people who always say that their dogs were perfect angels until... I suspect that they are overlooking a myriad of clues that their dogs did, in fact, demonstrate aggressive behaviors many times but they didn't have the opportunity to act on them and that they, as owners, don't want to admit that they failed to adequately address these behaviors. This advances the sudden insanity theory about certain breeds of dogs.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may well be true of dogs with a high prey drive like hunter breeds. Pits don't. There is nothing in their background that includes hunters unless you include terriers who hunt vermin.

I question the credibility of the many people who always say that their dogs were perfect angels until... I suspect that they are overlooking a myriad of clues that their dogs did, in fact, demonstrate aggressive behaviors many times but they didn't have the opportunity to act on them and that they, as owners, don't want to admit that they failed to adequately address these behaviors. This advances the sudden insanity theory about certain breeds of dogs.
    That's what gets me, too...."he's always been so sweet, never did anything wrong, this is the first time"......etc.... those people didn't know HOW to pick up on signals their dog was presenting....the dog that just, snaps one day, was probably dropping signs, left and right.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-18-2019)

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm torn when it comes to pit bulls. I've known some well and they can be the sweetest, loyal and gentle dogs. They have a bad reputation and are often the dogs that really $#@!ty people tend to own and abuse.

The problem with pitts is their power and ability to cause extreme harm and even death. Other breeds bite more but don't have the same potential to cause extreme injuries. Pitties have been bred specifically to kill.

As others have said, their socialization and upbringing are key to their behaviour. Unfortunately many have been abused or raised by $#@!s, so there are many who end up in shelters or are eventually euthanized.

I think the breed should be phased out or at the very least be regulated. I'm not for euthanasia of existing pitts, but restrictions on breeding and mandatory spay and neutering.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (03-18-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known one nice pit, she belonged to my sister, I was surprised how nice that dog was, she didn't know me, the first time I walked into my sister's house, alone and, she didn't even bark, just looked at me and, lied back down....she lived for 14 years and my sister never got another dog because, she couldn't replace her, that was 16 years ago.

That, was the only nice pit I've known.

+ Reply to Thread