Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another raised them from puppies story

In the local paper, sorry no link, theres an article about 2 pitbulls that got loose and went on the neighbors property and slaughtered his 4 goats, the neighbor who knew the dogs since they got them as puppies ran out to try and save his goats and he was attacked by one pit while the other killed the goats, the owner finally heard it ran out and was subsequently attacked by both his pitbulls and is in critical condition. The neighbor has been admitted but not in critical care.

The owners wife said they had both dogs from 7 weeks old a brother and sister and that they were always sweet loving dogs, she said the neighbor always just walked into their yard and never had any issue with the two pitbulls.

You hear the same story all the time from pitbull owners, it reminds me of the same story we heard about pedophiles and child abusers when we went to arrest them, the neighbors and family would say I would never have believed it, he was such a great guy.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

texan (03-18-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virtually ANY dog can (and will) attack other animals, especially non-domestic animals if the dog hasn't been raised around that type of animal and taught gentleness. Being a pit has nothing to do with it. Sadly, when such an attack is occurring, the dogs become hyper-blind to commands, and they could bite the interferer. Many times, the interferer immediately starts screaming at the dogs, which just creates more chaos, and in the dog's intensified mental state, makes things worse.

Raising a dog (responsibly) from a puppy (any dog) is usually enough to keep it from biting humans, but if the puppy was in a stressful situation with its mother (such as if the mother was abused, starved, etc.), the mother's anxiety and tendency to bite can imprint on the puppy even at that young age.

Pits are no more likely to attack goats, chickens, cats, whatever, than any other dog breed. Due to their rather strong jaws, however, they can do more damage than some other breeds.

Bottom line -- potential pet owners need to learn how to train their dogs to reduce their natural prey drive. Unfortunately, too many dog owners don't have a clue. Worse yet, people in general need to understand that they could get bit if they interfere in a dog/goat fight or a dog/dog fight.

I don't blame the guy for trying to stop the killing, though. He's got a good heart.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

ODB (03-18-2019),texan (03-18-2019)

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 767
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,325x in 18,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some things can't be breed out, such as, aggression/fighting, it doesn't matter how a dog is raised, if it has that strong instinct/drive, to attack...it's going to and, it doesn't matter to the dog, who is on the other end... another dog, it's owner, the neighbor, a child....

When the question is asked, " what kind of dog was it," the answer is inevitably...."pit bull."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Common (03-18-2019),texan (03-18-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Virtually ANY dog can (and will) attack other animals, especially non-domestic animals if the dog hasn't been raised around that type of animal and taught gentleness. Being a pit has nothing to do with it. Sadly, when such an attack is occurring, the dogs become hyper-blind to commands, and they could bite the interferer. Many times, the interferer immediately starts screaming at the dogs, which just creates more chaos, and in the dog's intensified mental state, makes things worse.

Raising a dog (responsibly) from a puppy (any dog) is usually enough to keep it from biting humans, but if the puppy was in a stressful situation with its mother (such as if the mother was abused, starved, etc.), the mother's anxiety and tendency to bite can imprint on the puppy even at that young age.

Pits are no more likely to attack goats, chickens, cats, whatever, than any other dog breed. Due to their rather strong jaws, however, they can do more damage than some other breeds.

Bottom line -- potential pet owners need to learn how to train their dogs to reduce their natural prey drive. Unfortunately, too many dog owners don't have a clue. Worse yet, people in general need to understand that they could get bit if they interfere in a dog/goat fight or a dog/dog fight.

I don't blame the guy for trying to stop the killing, though. He's got a good heart.
    People keep telling me that but its most always just pitbulls, when I was on the job for 28 yrs it was most always pitbulls
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

texan (03-18-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    People keep telling me that but its most always just pitbulls, when I was on the job for 28 yrs it was most always pitbulls
    Me too, my job wasn't in law enforcement, but, in my case, it was most always, pit bulls.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

texan (03-18-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    My daughter is in law enforcement too, and she's also a schutzhund trainer. She says the same thing, but she says it's mostly due to a certain lowlife element that buys and teaches these dogs to be mean. They buy these dogs to fight or to offer a visible appearance of threat against other lowlifes. The people who own these dogs don't care about them and would rather they're mean. Half the time the poor dogs are kept on chains and half-starved. Puppies that come from those litters might be just fine, but there's an off-chance the mother's behavior patterned itself on them and could be triggered later.

The good thing is -- the placements we've been involved in have been very successful. I love all animals -- but especially dogs. I love all dogs. In my life, I've only come across one dog that was truly mean -- mean to the point that I couldn't approach him, even after trying for nearly an hour. But, he was mastiff, not a pit.

Pits are smart. I wish Standing Wolf would come back and contribute to this thread, he knows their temperament.

The first pit I ever fostered was a little guy - rescued from a home like the one above. Jet black, 10 weeks old. I let him out to play as I picked up twigs that had fallen after a strong wind. The little guy watched me and pretty soon he picked up a stick off the ground and put it on the pile I was making. He kept doing that. I called him "Little Helper," and he was eventually adopted by the local Fire Chief who kept him until he passed away just last year at 15 yrs. of age. When we'd run into each other in town, he and his wife would always tell me how much they loved their dog -- how he was such an important part of the family.

I know incidents occur, and I'm sorry for those, but I firmly believe they are 95% human-caused and only 5% dog-triggered.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-18-2019),Just AnotherPerson (03-18-2019),ODB (03-18-2019),texan (03-18-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If, by human caused, you mean the humans who own the pit bulls, I agree.

I believe, though, in most cases, it's a combination of a dog already predisposed to that behavior and, the lowlifes that haven't the faintest idea what they're doing, coming together, it can't help, but be bad.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me thinks I'll side with insurance companies on this one. Many insurers won't bother if the owner has a pit bull. Liability is astronomical and the numbers are hard to argue with.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Me thinks I'll side with insurance companies on this one. Many insurers won't bother if the owner has a pit bull. Liability is astronomical and the numbers are hard to argue with.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    Yep!

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have said this before in so many threads. But for all of the stories I have heard about pitbulls. I have never ever met one who was mean. Every pitbull I ever met was the kindest gentlest beings. I rescued one who was abused and found him a home. He was so sweet. I mean, I know I have heard the stories, but I just havent seen it. But I think most dogs are really awesome but for some reason the Pitbull's I encountered in my life were extraordinarily gentle hearted.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (03-18-2019),ODB (03-18-2019)

+ Reply to Thread