Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    There is no "prison industrial complex". Violent offenders belong in prison. How and why they turned out to be anti-social savages is an interesting and relevant academic question but we must deal with what they are not what they could have been. Secondly, you seem to believe a softer and 'more caring' approach would be novel. It isn't. You lived through such a period in the 1960s and 1970s.

If there is no complex how the hell did the "Land of the used to be free" become the most incarcerated nation on earth? Also once we incarcerate them we are responsible for their safety and are not very good with that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

The Xl (03-21-2019)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    If there is no complex how the hell did the "Land of the used to be free" become the most incarcerated nation on earth? Also once we incarcerate them we are responsible for their safety and are not very good with that.
    That's a great point.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

donttread (03-21-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post

It could be a number of things ranging from bad policy to a more violent culture (largely localized to specific environments). It's certainly not a conspiracy. This is kook stuff. BTW, violent crime has gone way down over the last 20 years. I wonder if taking out the trash has had any effect?

As for "most incarcerated" spare me. I'm not worried about going to prison? Are you? Staying out seems like a no brainer.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    Did you see where Camel's Ass Harris, when she was AG of California, argued against early inmate release on the grounds that local economies would be harmed by the loss of the low-wage prison labor?
    I did. And for her unquestioning loyalty to even small time business welfare, she is now a Democratic Presidential contender. Shameful.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-23-2019)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Less criminals means less money and work for the prison industry, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, cops, etc. There is an incentive for over-criminalization. Once you realize those overseeing justice are the criminals themselves, it throws water on the notion of a legitimate and just justice system.
    It is sad. I'm no fan of criminality, but I have seen the trends. If a small town with very little crime opens a new jail with more beds, the crime rate goes up accordingly. Does this mean there is more crime? No. It means less severe crimes get treated with jail now that they have a bit more space. And they have to justify that extra space. If they leave it empty, no more new funding.
    I think we are well beyond the point where the number of people in jail or prison are able to be supported financially by the taxpayers who are not. Yet another thing being done on credit, that we can never pay for.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    It is sad. I'm no fan of criminality, but I have seen the trends. If a small town with very little crime opens a new jail with more beds, the crime rate goes up accordingly. Does this mean there is more crime? No. It means less severe crimes get treated with jail now that they have a bit more space. And they have to justify that extra space. If they leave it empty, no more new funding.
    I think we are well beyond the point where the number of people in jail or prison are able to be supported financially by the taxpayers who are not. Yet another thing being done on credit, that we can never pay for.
    You gotta love those small town jails. Very picturesque. lol
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread