User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Can't Captain Marvel Be Gay?

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I don't think that there is a shortage of films and TV shows that depict LGBT characters. Less where they are the protagonist, however, I think that there is a reason why overt non-straight sex is not readily depicted. Most viewers would be uncomfortable watching it and when studios spend millions making the bigger movies, they want to make a profit. That won't happen if large segments of the population avoid the box office. Smaller movies and indie movies have a much smaller target audience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_LGBT_characters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GBT_characters
    Even a casual glance at the list of films provided demonstrates that the gay characters therein are overwhelmingly male specifically, and indeed that they are most often presented not even as normal side characters so much as either villains or as a kind of punch line at that. Further, those depicting lesbians (especially in good faith) are one-sidedly obscure films, not part of major franchises that millions of people have been exposed to. Indeed, the fact that such a list has to be kept at all proves by itself that gay characters are marginal in the world of movie-making.

You also seem to be implying that I'm requesting nothing less that actual sex being depicted on-screen (bolded), which isn't what I've suggested at all.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-23-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,464x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Even a casual glance at the list of films provided demonstrates that the gay characters therein are overwhelmingly male specifically, and indeed that they are most often presented not even as normal side characters so much as either villains or as a kind of punch line at that. Further, those depicting lesbians (especially in good faith) are one-sidedly obscure films, not part of major franchises that millions of people have been exposed to. Indeed, the fact that such a list has to be kept at all proves by itself that gay characters are marginal in the world of movie-making.

You also seem to be implying that I'm requesting nothing less that actual sex being depicted on-screen (bolded), which isn't what I've suggested at all.
    I grow weary. You want the fricking world ruled by lesbians. Just get past the dancing and admit that
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-23-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Part of the problem with discussing this topic is the phrase "lesbian coding." Search for that or "lesbian coded" finds lots of hits but nothing the directly or even contextually defines it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-23-2019),stjames1_53 (03-23-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would support more lesbians and less gays.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Common (03-23-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Part of the problem with discussing this topic is the phrase "lesbian coding." Search for that or "lesbian coded" finds lots of hits but nothing the directly or even contextually defines it.
    My definition of it is a situation wherein the filmmakers apply lesbian-specific tropes or characteristics to a given character or characters whose sexuality is either non-specified or presented as heterosexual. I pointed to more than one example of this in film in the OP, but the most classic example in my book can be found between the two lead characters in the '90s era TV show Xena: Warrior Princess, who are clearly supposed to be attracted to each other and even wind up kissing on the lips on multiple occasions through varying narrative contrivances that seem awfully arbitrary and convenient. But they're not allowed to formally be in love. (I mean I kiss my besties on the lips all the time, I don't know about you! )

Coding actually used to be demanded by the lesbian community, believe it or not. Like back in the '90s, there was a commercial that Subaru aired openly appealing to lesbian drivers after they conducted a study finding that lesbian women were a particularly strong demographic for their brand. Predictably, Subaru faced a huge public backlash in response from conservatives...but also from the lesbian community, which demanded more subtlety from Subaru in the future: coding that the lesbian community would understand, but which others probably wouldn't. They did exactly that. One example of the subsequent coding was a commercial wherein one of the car models shown had the license plate XNA LVR (translation: Xena lover) that the lesbian community picked up on, but which other people didn't.

Why did the lesbian community demand this back then, you ask? Because being overt about such things invariably resulted in a backlash not only against the advertiser (or media outlet or artist, as applicable), but also in attacks on the lesbian community by conservative forces. Subtlety avoided this dilemma. That was then, however. This is a different era. Many of us have different expectations today.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-23-2019 at 02:33 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Chris (03-23-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I would support more lesbians and less gays.
    So would I.

But in all seriousness, in gaming right now you have The Last of Us Part II coming out in the relatively near future. Published by Sony (you know, company behind the PlayStation systems), it will be the first AAA (i.e. non-indie) video game in history to narratively center an openly lesbian character. Predictably, it's a huge controversy, but Sony and developer Naughty Dog are willing to brave the storm at this point, it would appear. I guess this moment in time accordingly has me wishing that the world of filmmaking could have an analogous development of its own.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-23-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,482x in 15,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody else think this discussion is as ridiculous as I do?
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-23-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Does anybody else think this discussion is as ridiculous as I do?
    You're in good company, Cletus. This is a message board full of other old, conservative-minded people who are of a similarly narrow mind.

I've floated this same topic on a left wing message board that I go to as well and the response has been largely the opposite of what it's been here.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,482x in 15,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're in good company, Cletus. This is a message board full of other old, conservative-minded people who are of a similarly narrow mind.
    If anyone here has exhibited a narrow mind and limited intellectual capacity, it has been you. You are obsessed with this bull$#@!.

Movies are entertainment. Granted, an occasional filmmaker will think he is more than he is and try to use his film to send some great social message that no one really wants to hear, but for the most part, people go to movies to be entertained. They don't want to be preached to. They don't to be part of some attempt at social indoctrination. They want to forget the stresses of the day and immerse themselves in some imaginary world for two hours. That is all they want.

Less than 4.5% of Americans are homosexual. I suspect a couple of those percentage points come from people who think it is "edgy" to declare themselves homosexual in polls, but really are not. You are a small, insignificant minority that makes a disproportional amount of noise and demands a whole lot more attention than you warrant.

I've floated this same topic on a left wing message board that I go to as well and the response has been largely the opposite of what it's been here.
    Of course it is. They are Leftists. By definition, that makes them stupid.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-23-2019),stjames1_53 (03-23-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Less than 4.5% of Americans are homosexual. I suspect a couple of those percentage points come from people who think it is "edgy" to declare themselves homosexual in polls, but really are not. You are a small, insignificant minority that makes a disproportional amount of noise and demands a whole lot more attention than you warrant.
    I don't know about that. That statistic keeps growing over time. It was 4.1% in 2016 and 3.5% in 2012 in the same poll, and of course it used to be far less than that as well. The statistic keeps growing over time, which suggests to me that there are a lot of closeted people out there. Or alternatively, perhaps there is truly no such thing as sexual orientation after all and strict heterosexuality is just a superficial performance that's simply been socially imposed on us as a society.

I mean, for example, I've pointed people here to studies indicating that fully the majority of women experience a physical response to both images of nude men and nude women, for example, and that 60% of self-described "straight" women also say they are physically attracted to other women as well. So I mean maybe sexual orientation (as in being strictly heterosexual or homosexual at a biological level) is actually a rare thing or something that doesn't actually exist at all even. Either way, I wouldn't count on that 4.5% statistic remaining the same going forward.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread