Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rampant Fish Fraud

We cant win, from salmonella lettuce and vegetables to over antibiotic'd beef to tainted chicken to rampant fish fraud.

The next time you order the catch of the day, beware: There’s a good chance you won’t get what your pay for, according to a recent study on seafood fraud.
    The conservation group Oceana found that 21% of the fish that researchers sampled from across the United States was not what it was labeled -- instead it was less desirable or cheaper fish. Popular and pricey fish like sea bass and snapper had the highest levels of mislabeling -- 55% for sea bass and 42% for snapper.

“If the price is too good to be true, you might want to choose something else,” says Kimberly Warner, a senior scientist at Oceana and one of the report’s authors.

Seafood was more frequently mislabeled in restaurants (26%) and at smaller markets (24%) than in large grocery stores (12%).

Warner says 90% of the seafood eaten in the United States is imported, and less than 1% is inspected by the government specifically for fraud. “The government needs more oversite and traceability of our seafood,” she says.

Oceana used DNA to test 400 samples of seafood from more than 250 retail outlets across the United States for the study, released March 7.

Last year, the New York Attorney General’s Office that found more than 1 in 4 samples of seafood bought at supermarket chains in the state were mislabeled.

“Research shows that seafood is mislabeled at all steps of the supply chain, from the time of catching to the import level, processing level, and grocer, retail, and restaurant level,” Warner says.

People are more likely to encounter mislabeled seafood in restaurants, either because a restaurant is unaware that it has purchased mislabeled fish, misidentifies a fish, or has purposely mislabeled it, Warner says.

Not knowing what kind of fish is on your plate can be dangerous to those who are allergic or more sensitive to certain types of seafood.

Warner says “wild” caught fish -- purchased at a premium -- are often substituted with farm-raised fish, which have higher levels of antibiotics and chemicals. The study also found that some fish was not sustainably caught, as advertised, and so-called locally sourced fish was from another country.

“Seafood is the last wild-caught food we eat. It tends to be pricey. If you’re going to a restaurant and paying top dollar, you want to be getting what you pay for,” she says.

Gavin Gibbons, a spokesman for the National Fisheries Institute, says his organization's Better Seafood Board works with the restaurant industry to make sure fish are labeled correctly.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/n...r5qXdXPx2OM%3d
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (03-25-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cat eats one type of canned glop labeled salmon and another labeled whitefish. She doesn't complain, and the prices are identical, so I'm okay with it. I rarely eat fish at restaurants except deep fried cod sandwiches. If they're mislabeled, its all the same to me. LOL

You should read what food servers do to the food before you eat it.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,717x in 16,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    My cat eats one type of canned glop labeled salmon and another labeled whitefish. She doesn't complain, and the prices are identical, so I'm okay with it. I rarely eat fish at restaurants except deep fried cod sandwiches. If they're mislabeled, its all the same to me. LOL

kitty-551554__480.jpg
    Thank you for being so good to your cat
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,649x in 25,177 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something is fishy here. The same thing is true in the olive oil business.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ra-virgin.html
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Common (03-26-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,556x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post

I believe that if cod is substituted with anything it is halibut. They taste similar and are both good, so that wouldn't bother me.

I rarely eat fish out- I did recently (St. Paddy's Day) and that was cod at a nice restaurant that bases its daily menu on what it gets fresh that morning. So the online menu is just a possibility. You got to go to see what they have any particular day.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,556x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Something is fishy here. The same thing is true in the olive oil business.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ra-virgin.html
    Both the fish and olive oil frauds have been around for a long time. There are some good brands of olive oil, I can't remember the entire list, but the one that I get is California Olive Ranch Everyday (they have other versions as well). But the two famous olive oils are not on the good list. They tend to be diluted with lesser oils.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy olive oil at aldis, its imported from italy and its outrageouly good. When i was a kid i rememver the strong smell of olives as the olive oil was heating. I get the same smell from aldis olive oil

Its pure sicilian Olive Oil
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-26-2019)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,650x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    We cant win, from salmonella lettuce and vegetables to over antibiotic'd beef to tainted chicken to rampant fish fraud.

The next time you order the catch of the day, beware: There’s a good chance you won’t get what your pay for, according to a recent study on seafood fraud.
    The conservation group Oceana found that 21% of the fish that researchers sampled from across the United States was not what it was labeled -- instead it was less desirable or cheaper fish. Popular and pricey fish like sea bass and snapper had the highest levels of mislabeling -- 55% for sea bass and 42% for snapper.

“If the price is too good to be true, you might want to choose something else,” says Kimberly Warner, a senior scientist at Oceana and one of the report’s authors.

Seafood was more frequently mislabeled in restaurants (26%) and at smaller markets (24%) than in large grocery stores (12%).

Warner says 90% of the seafood eaten in the United States is imported, and less than 1% is inspected by the government specifically for fraud. “The government needs more oversite and traceability of our seafood,” she says.

Oceana used DNA to test 400 samples of seafood from more than 250 retail outlets across the United States for the study, released March 7.

Last year, the New York Attorney General’s Office that found more than 1 in 4 samples of seafood bought at supermarket chains in the state were mislabeled.

“Research shows that seafood is mislabeled at all steps of the supply chain, from the time of catching to the import level, processing level, and grocer, retail, and restaurant level,” Warner says.

People are more likely to encounter mislabeled seafood in restaurants, either because a restaurant is unaware that it has purchased mislabeled fish, misidentifies a fish, or has purposely mislabeled it, Warner says.

Not knowing what kind of fish is on your plate can be dangerous to those who are allergic or more sensitive to certain types of seafood.

Warner says “wild” caught fish -- purchased at a premium -- are often substituted with farm-raised fish, which have higher levels of antibiotics and chemicals. The study also found that some fish was not sustainably caught, as advertised, and so-called locally sourced fish was from another country.

“Seafood is the last wild-caught food we eat. It tends to be pricey. If you’re going to a restaurant and paying top dollar, you want to be getting what you pay for,” she says.

Gavin Gibbons, a spokesman for the National Fisheries Institute, says his organization's Better Seafood Board works with the restaurant industry to make sure fish are labeled correctly.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/n...r5qXdXPx2OM%3d

Don't forget "bay scallops"

+ Reply to Thread