Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not at all. The earliest known civilizations of which we have records had their superstitions about powerful beings controlling their fate, and very often their pantheon of deities or spirits had an overall ruler. Or, as in classic Hinduism, all of the lesser gods were recognized as aspects or reflections of a single, omniscient being. In any case, the point is not whether a society worshiped one god or a dozen, but the fact that they found it necessary to worship any at all.
    First of all religion or a belief in the sacred is far older than civilization. "Powerful beings" (whatever we may mean by that) and an "invisible, intelligent all powerful being" are two different things. The gods (however we want to understand that term) of "primitive" religion did not create the world or stand outside of it. They were part of it, were not responsible for it and did not control its fate. The transcendent God of monotheism is a different animal. So is the Greek Logos. What you should have said is that "child like" societies perceived the world as infused with the sacred. Was that what you were trying to ridicule? Anyway, what we see historically is a progression toward the attitude you mock not away from it. That is the essential point.
    Far from being "myths", those are concepts we have gleaned from millennia of human interactions. They are a large part of what makes a society work, develop and thrive - justice in particular.
    Gleaned? What do you mean? You can prove them? They're real rather than mere human sentiment that varies across cultures, time and place? What are you talking about? Are you confusing useful with real and true?
    The Judeo-Christian Scriptures, including the lessons they contain, were written by human beings; their interpretation, along with the imposition of the corresponding rules therein, was also the work of people, masquerading as "God's messengers". For every advancement in justice, every understanding of truth, Christianity, as it has been practiced, has been responsible for an instance (or several) of injustice, persecution and death.
    I'm sorry you feel that way about Scripture but it's not what I asked. Are you child like? Do myths about equality, human dignity, justice, right and wrong etc. comfort you? Do you cling to them like a teddy bear in your in bewilderment? They certainly aren't truths. What would that even mean n your worldview?? How could they be true? Useful? Perhaps...but real and true? Nonsense.
    It means that many people - in the U.S. and Western Europe, I daresay a majority - who profess a belief in a supernatural "god" do so insincerely or without serious thought. They do so in order to "fit in" with family and co-workers, or because in many situations non-believers are not welcome or trusted. (Does anyone really believe that Kristen Synema is the first atheist in the U.S. Senate?) Or they identify as "Christians" in much the same way they would tell you that they are "German-Americans" or "Patriots fans" or members of a fraternal organization they haven't attended a meeting of in thirty years.
    If that is what you meant to say you said it poorly. To suggest that religion is cultural is to say not much of anything. In any case, how do you know this? Secondly, you shouldn't be so quick to criticize. After all, you believe in a great many things without giving them any serious thought. Some of them were listed above.
    Last edited by Mister D; 04-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's the one most people live with every day. It consists largely of dealing with the world as it exists, becoming involved when others are being hurt or threatened, and not giving a second (or even a first) thought to an invisible parent figure in the sky.
    Missed this one. What makes this mature or more realistic? The world as it exists? Huh?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,392x in 54,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Read your OP. Yes, there are all sorts of moral rules and dogmas associated with secular humanism but the trouble seems to be that what is declared useful is deemed right and true as if they mean the same thing.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Read your OP. Yes, there are all sorts of moral rules and dogmas associated with secular humanism but the trouble seems to be that what is declared useful is deemed right and true as if they mean the same thing.
    Mill wrote not only On Liberty but Utilitarianism. He seems to have subjected liberty to the common good. The same contradiction found in Hobbes and Rousseau.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,247x in 12,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First of all religion or a belief in the sacred is far older than civilization. "Powerful beings" (whatever we may mean by that) and an "invisible, intelligent all powerful being" are two different things. The gods (however we want to understand that term) of "primitive" religion did not create the world or stand outside of it. They were part of it, were not responsible for it and did not control its fate. The transcendent God of monotheism is a different animal. So is the Greek Logos. What you should have said is that "child like" societies perceived the world as infused with the sacred. Was that what you were trying to ridicule? Anyway, what we see historically is a progression toward the attitude you mock not away from it. That is the essential point. Gleaned? What do you mean? You can prove them? They're real rather than mere human sentiment that varies across cultures, time and place? What are you talking about? Are you confusing useful with real and true? I'm sorry you feel that way about Scripture but it's not what I asked. Are you child like? Do myths about equality, human dignity, justice, right and wrong etc. comfort you? Do you cling to them like a teddy bear in your in bewilderment? They certainly aren't truths. What would that even mean n your worldview?? How could they be true? Useful? Perhaps...but real and true? Nonsense. If that is what you meant to say you said it poorly. To suggest that religion is cultural is to say not much of anything. In any case, how do you know this? Secondly, you shouldn't be so quick to criticize. After all, you believe in a great many things without giving them any serious thought. Some of them were listed above.
    Your idea of "discussion" appears to be - insofar as your part is concerned - a blend of diversion, ridicule and nonsensical questions. Not interested.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Your idea of "discussion" appears to be - insofar as your part is concerned - a blend of diversion, ridicule and nonsensical questions. Not interested.
    This is all too typical of you. You say something stupid and obnoxious, you get asked to defend your POV, you pout, pick up your ball and run home. But I'm not through with you.

So tell us...what do you mean by diversion? What did I divert from and how? Be specific. What questions were nonsensical? Be specific. The ridicule was indeed present but I did try to minimize it. After all, you are an ignorant man deserving of my contempt.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-12-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    More like you're not capable. You deny that by blaming others for your faults.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,247x in 12,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is all too typical of you. You say something stupid and obnoxious, you get asked to defend your POV, you pout, pick up your ball and run home. But I'm not through with you.

So tell us...what do you mean by diversion? What did I divert from and how? Be specific. What questions were nonsensical? Be specific. The ridicule was indeed present but I did try to minimize it. After all, you are an ignorant man deserving of my contempt.
    I have my views on superstition - ghosts, vampires, werewolves, gods - and I have expressed them fully. That you apparently find a belief in any of those things to be a sign of societal maturity puts you at odds with not only my view, but that of most rational grownups. You want to be coddled and told that the myths you heard in Sunday School have some basis in the real world - so you lash out at anyone who calls such nonsense what it is. Quite frankly, there are more important things to be discussed, even on this forum.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have my views on superstition - ghosts, vampires, werewolves, gods - and I have expressed them fully. That you apparently find a belief in any of those things to be a sign of societal maturity puts you at odds with not only my view, but that of most rational grownups. You want to be coddled and told that the myths you heard in Sunday School have some basis in the real world - so you lash out at anyone who calls such nonsense what it is. Quite frankly, there are more important things to be discussed, even on this forum.
    I guess he is interested.

You have not answered a single question I posed. If it's not important why did you even respond? I know. I called you out and you were found wanting. Cowering Wolf might be a more appropriate moniker.

~Alain de Benoist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-12-2019)

+ Reply to Thread