Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Good point. The one thing that has jumped off the page at me is how spooky quiet this dog has been. Typically when I see or think dog I picture chaos. I am in a very quiet mode today actually very alone but much like the cat I am very cautious and do not feel the risk of chaos that sometimes accompanies people is worth it. I M beginning to think the dog is mirroring me by being so quiet. I am starting to feel guilty and bad for the dog because it must be bored. I will have to put on a happy face take the dog out back and hang out with it to feel right about being in charge of it. Dogs are like kids..too much maintenance. Now I am beginning to understand why my parents/handlers sent me to summer camp every year. They called it "church camp" . I call it " Hitler Youth Camp". In reality it was GTFO let them babysit for a month , camp. Neat
    You don’t get it. There is a reason why they call dogs man’s best friend. He is absolutely recognizing your mental state and acquiescing to that and as such he is being quiet and reserved. He probably also misses his owner.

What you are experiencing is a true bond. A bond that will never exist with a cat. The domesticated dog is amoung one of a few of man’s most amazing accomplishments. Enjoy it.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,284
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A funny thought . How odd and ironic would it be if this turned out like one of those "baby left on a neighbors doorstep" stories? Honestly, if I was my friend. And had to deal with what he does I'd leave the planet, not just the country. That being said he will be back. His brother and I actually got him this dog . His brother had the idea to do it and I found the dog and arranged to get it here. I was around it for most of the first day it arrived and I remember it was very quiet then too. Odd.
    I think you have an unfortunate impression of dogs. They are not all loud and crazy. They are fairly quiet animals unless they are excited or afraid. In some ways, cats are noisier because they complain! There are many cats and dogs on my street and of course, many of the cats roam the street. There have always been a number of them that will walk up to you and tell you about the fact that it's chilly outside and they can't get back in or asking whether you happen to have some tasty treats to spare for them. They will even show up at your door pretending that they are starving when it is obvious by their fat bellies that they are anything but underfed.

Dogs are not complainers. Now if you are eating something that they want, they will cry a little, (they smell things in parts per million) but you can tell them to lay down and they will comply with a big sigh.

The main difference between cats and dogs is the fact that cats think that you are their servant and perhaps you don't know your place or recognize who's the boss. Dogs will test you when they are teens but once you establish the pack order, they accept their place. Cats are not really pack animals, so cats see humans rather differently than do dogs. Humans to cats are far more of a utility - a source of food, shelter and nice scratches. If you die, the cat won't mourn your passing. He will be very annoyed if he is removed from his home. They do form attachments to places. Dogs, on the other hand, form attachments to people and will grieve the passing of a loved one. There are some cats that are a little different than others and at least seem to bond with people, but they are fairly rare. Hubby used to have a cat that was rather uncatlike in that he would go for walks with you, like a dog - no leash. He just liked to hang out like a dog. He also had all the dogs on the street terrorized. Of course, he was raised with dogs, so I'm not sure that he knew he was a cat.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 04-05-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Most dogs like to sleep a lot.

How old and what kind of dog?
    Its a 2 year old German Sheperd. Big dog.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a 2 year old German Sheperd. Big dog.
    He could probably use a walk. Don't forget to stoop and scoop.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    You don’t get it. There is a reason why they call dogs man’s best friend. He is absolutely recognizing your mental state and acquiescing to that and as such he is being quiet and reserved. He probably also misses his owner.

What you are experiencing is a true bond. A bond that will never exist with a cat. The domesticated dog is amoung one of a few of man’s most amazing accomplishments. Enjoy it.
    He is loyal. I fell asleep for what appears to be an hour or two. I remember while ago feeling tired but edgy. I was thinking " if that dog was a cat itd be laying next to me purring and calm me". When I woke a few minutes ago my heart was pounding with anxiety for a few minutes but the dog was right there. The cat wouldve been gone.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-05-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    He could probably use a walk. Don't forget to stoop and scoop.
    Party Scooper..!
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is loyal. I fell asleep for what appears to be an hour or two. I remember while ago feeling tired but edgy. I was thinking " if that dog was a cat itd be laying next to me purring and calm me". When I woke a few minutes ago my heart was pounding with anxiety for a few minutes but the dog was right there. The cat wouldve been gone.
    Man’s best friend.

Compared to the dog the cat is just a piece of the household like a table or picture.

There are dogs dogs that have been trained to recognize insulin shock in diabetics. Dogs who recognize episodes with individuals who are suffering from PTSD. Dogs who can smell cancer. Dogs who can rescue humans buried in ruble or avalanches.

There is no other animal on earth as in tune with humans as dogs. Our creation of the domestic dog ranks up there with medical science and mathematics.

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think you have an unfortunate impression of dogs. They are not all loud and crazy. They are fairly quiet animals unless they are excited or afraid. In some ways, cats are noisier because they complain! There are many cats and dogs on my street and of course, many of the cats roam the street. There have always been a number of them that will walk up to you and tell you about the fact that it's chilly outside and they can't get back in or asking whether you happen to have some tasty treats to spare for them. They will even show up at your door pretending that they are starving when it is obvious by their fat bellies that they are anything but underfed.

Dogs are not complainers. Now if you are eating something that they want, they will cry a little, (they smell things in parts per million) but you can tell them to lay down and they will comply with a big sigh.

The main difference between cats and dogs is the fact that cats think that you are their servant and perhaps you don't know your place or who recognize who's the boss. Dogs will test you when they are teens but once you establish the pack order, they accept their place. Cats are not really pack animals, so cats see humans rather differently than do dogs. Humans to cats are far more of a utility - a source of food, shelter and nice scratches. If you die, the cat won't mourn your passing. He will be very annoyed if he is removed from his home. They do form attachments to places. Dogs, on the other hand, form attachments to people and will grieve the passing of a loved one. There are some cats that are a little different than others and at least seem to bond with people, but they are fairly rare. Hubby used to have a cat that was rather uncatlike in that he would go for walks with you, like a dog - no leash. He just liked to hang out like a dog. He also had all the dogs on the street terrorized. Of course, he was raised with dogs, so I'm not sure that he knew he was a cat.
    Well stated. I think this dog is aware I'm out of my element with it and staying calm to keep me calm. I'm going to feed it and take it outside. Back shortly
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-05-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post

The main difference between cats and dogs is the fact that cats think that you are their servant and perhaps you don't know your place or who recognize who's the boss. Dogs will test you when they are teens but once you establish the pack order, they accept their place. Cats are not really pack animals, so cats see humans rather differently than do dogs. Humans to cats are far more of a utility - a source of food, shelter and nice scratches. If you die, the cat won't mourn your passing. He will be very annoyed if he is removed from his home. They do form attachments to places. Dogs, on the other hand, form attachments to people and will grieve the passing of a loved one. There are some cats that are a little different than others and at least seem to bond with people, but they are fairly rare. Hubby used to have a cat that was rather uncatlike in that he would go for walks with you, like a dog - no leash. He just liked to hang out like a dog. He also had all the dogs on the street terrorized. Of course, he was raised with dogs, so I'm not sure that he knew he was a cat.
    No cat thinks they are a dog. Cats don’t have the cognitive abilities of dogs. Cat people give cats way too much credit.

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am such a sucker. A friend of mine caught me about half asleep earlier asked if I could babysit his dog till sometime tomorrow. I'm not really used to being around a dog. My thoughts were " I'll hole up in my bedroom leave the dog up front and let it out every hour or two". The dog sees it different. It walks into my bedroom and lays in front of the bed. I suppose it will follow me wherever I go. I feel almost violated ?
    Pet and play tug of war with the damned thing and have some fun!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-05-2019)

+ Reply to Thread