User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any Birders on the Forum?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I was sitting here this morning in my DR in NNY way north of Syracuse and saw what I first thought was a Cardinal but quickly realized was a Taniger. The problem is that with the help of Goggle image, I have identified it as a Summer Tanager which should not be here vs. A Scarlet Tanager which, while rarely seen, do range into this area.
    Can a Summer Tanager ( male) be this far north? If so is he doomed if the weather doesn't break real soon?
    I noticed some similar type events when I lived near Hanford in the Tricities. Some years ago we started seeing animals that we had never seen before. "we" meaning the residents, of the area. The first shocker was the Blue Heron, then the Pelican, then small lizards. There was one other bird but I don't know what it is called. It suddenly appeared, they floated in the water much like ducks do, and they would dive under water for a really long time and then pop up way far from where they dove.

I still remember the first time I seen the blue Heron it was quite shocking. We (me and family) were camping we had hiked back to some trout lake. When we got to the lake there was a giant blue heron he was like nothing I had ever seen before kind of like a dinosaur, so blue. He opened his wings to fly and that is when you could see how massive that bird was and he took flight. Not long after they were in the city too. It wasn't such a shock thereafter.

So my thoughts are that things are changing and the animals are finding new homes.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,511x in 14,775 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Turkeys aren't generally considered beautiful up close either, but Ben Franklin wanted them to be the national bird, instead of the bald eagle.
    OK. But that head?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I noticed some similar type events when I lived near Hanford in the Tricities. Some years ago we started seeing animals that we had never seen before. "we" meaning the residents, of the area. The first shocker was the Blue Heron, then the Pelican, then small lizards. There was one other bird but I don't know what it is called. It suddenly appeared, they floated in the water much like ducks do, and they would dive under water for a really long time and then pop up way far from where they dove.

I still remember the first time I seen the blue Heron it was quite shocking. We (me and family) were camping we had hiked back to some trout lake. When we got to the lake there was a giant blue heron he was like nothing I had ever seen before kind of like a dinosaur, so blue. He opened his wings to fly and that is when you could see how massive that bird was and he took flight. Not long after they were in the city too. It wasn't such a shock thereafter.

So my thoughts are that things are changing and the animals are finding new homes.

Sounds like you are describing a loon? Critters do show range movement. Our whole area used to have no appreciable Possum population, but they are around the southern portion of our area now. Other times, like Otters 15 years ago and T. Vultures before that the creature is "reintroduced" on purpose. That is probably more common here because we are in the Adirondacks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-30-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are describing a loon? Critters do show range movement. Our whole area used to have no appreciable Possum population, but they are around the southern portion of our area now. Other times, like Otters 15 years ago and T. Vultures before that the creature is "reintroduced" on purpose. That is probably more common here because we are in the Adirondacks.
    I think you are right :) probably a loon. I looked at the images they did look similar to them. Ours were more scraggly looking and were all black and a bit smaller. The head looks the same. But maybe there are different variations. I don't know. You know many here on this site have given me that same name, surprised I didn't think of it myself. LoL
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 04-30-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

jigglepete (05-02-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a neighborhood hawk. This morning it was sunning itself on one of my wall columns. When I got up to take a picture it noticed me immediately. With two or three seemingly effortless wing flaps it was up in the trees.

This is the second time in a month.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-01-2019)

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,760
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,451x in 13,506 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. But that head?
    Lol.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

10. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-01-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right probably a loon. I looked at the images they did look similar to them. Ours were more scraggly looking and were all black and a bit smaller. The head looks the same. But maybe there are different variations. I don't know. You know many here on this site have given me that same name, surprised I didn't think of it myself. LoL
    There are at least 2 subspecies but also because of the partially submerged way the float the white can be hard to see sometimes. When you mentioned the distance they cover and time they stay down I immediately thought loons. Commorants are black, but I don't know them to be known for covering distance under water like the loon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-30-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    We have a neighborhood hawk. This morning it was sunning itself on one of my wall columns. When I got up to take a picture it noticed me immediately. With two or three seemingly effortless wing flaps it was up in the trees.

This is the second time in a month.
    Wonderful, may I interpret this auspicious interaction for you? Ah yes, the hawk shows itself. This can be interpreted as a sign from heaven, that it is time to start the great civil war. It is as though it is a symbol representing, that the time is at hand. That is how it seems, but when you go get your camera with a few easy flaps he is out of sight. This second half can be interpreted as you having thought the time was right, but it was just out of your reach. The moment that you go to employ your great civil war it will disappear before your eyes, like the Guiado coup d'état.

It can be interpreted as what seemed like the opportune time, would prove to not be a reachable goal.

….....purifies this sacred space with holy sage.........Sprinkles ceremonial tobacco........The great Oracle has taken upon herself the great kindness of interpreting your auspicious encounter...........

It is said if the great bird lands 3 times within the month you will be greatly blessed by then heavens. You will obtain health and immortality. All you need to do to ensure his return, is make sure the bird feeder has seeds............................................ Sprinkles ceremonial tobacco. ............... Perhaps prey will draw him near.

But you must not allow the Hawk to eat the birds at the feeder, or the blessings will be taken back by the heavens. If the blessings of heaven are taken back, then one of three things will occur, you will begin to start believing in climate change, or you will transform into a democrat, or three you will begin to have an aversion to corporations. Should any of these three occur great suffering would ensue throughout the land, and there will be great turmoil in the earth realm, for a time of 300 klapa's.

With palms joined the oracle bows to you. May you be blessed by the heavens if the bird returns and attain health, and immortality.............Burns ceremonial sage............................Sprinkles ceremonial tobacco....................

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (05-02-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are at least 2 subspecies but also because of the partially submerged way the float the white can be hard to see sometimes. When you mentioned the distance they cover and time they stay down I immediately thought loons. Commorants are black, but I don't know them to be known for covering distance under water like the loon.
    The commorant looks a lot closer to the bird I am describing. It might be. The loon was a pretty bird.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (05-02-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The commorant looks a lot closer to the bird I am describing. It might be. The loon was a pretty bird.
    Yes they are, commorants belong in the sea. they are a plague in some inland water ways. Loons can pop up a couple of hundred yards and probably 2 minutes from where they went under. I have been very close to these great birds.

+ Reply to Thread