User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your position?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pro-market

8 100.00%
  • Pro-business

0 0%
  • Pro-government

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: “Pro-Business” or “Pro-Market”? And What’s the Difference?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I'm all of the above.

I have a Business ...
    I use the Market ...
    ... and I don't live on a Wooded Mountain Top ... so I use the Public Sector also.
    Use was not the question, stance was. So you straddle the fence.

Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Use was not the question, stance was. So you straddle the fence.

I am genuinely pro-business ... because I'm not willing to work for someone else for them to get rich on my work.

I'm also pro-market and pro-regulation for obvious reasons.

... and I'm Pro-Government, because WE are The United States of America, not THEY are The United States of America

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some are antithetical.
    Not really. In the current capitalist model, large business requires markets to be obtain additional capital (better share prices); markets require business to have a "raison d'etre" and earn capital; the country requires government to minimally maintain infrastructure, education, law and order and defense. Government requires business to provide employment and employment is required to provide taxes. Markets require regulation to ensure that the unethical do not perpetrate fraud. How should one choose any one, when they are all interdependent?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Not really. In the current capitalist model, large business requires markets to be obtain additional capital (better share prices); markets require business to have a "raison d'etre" and earn capital; the country requires government to minimally maintain infrastructure, education, law and order and defense. Government requires business to provide employment and employment is required to provide taxes. Markets require regulation to ensure that the unethical do not perpetrate fraud. How should one choose any one, when they are all interdependent?
    The point of the question is which do you favor, which way do you lean? Pro-market or pro-business, as defined, and as defined pro-business is accomplish by political or pro-government means.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I am genuinely pro-business ... because I'm not willing to work for someone else for them to get rich on my work.

I'm also pro-market and pro-regulation for obvious reasons.

... and I'm Pro-Government, because WE are The United States of America, not THEY are The United States of America
    I see you confuse WE the United States with the government. We are not the government. Like Keynes you want to promote a healthy market but by means you conceive of as something we do to ourselves so it's OK.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The point of the question is which do you favor, which way do you lean? Pro-market or pro-business, as defined, and as defined pro-business is accomplish by political or pro-government means.
    Hope that single response will do for all three of your postings of it. :-)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still difficult, but as you do not define pro-government, then I will have to choose that option. As much as you have positive messages with respect to pro-market, I see a "panicked lemming" aspect to markets that can be detrimental. I agree with your analysis of pro-business. You did not define pro-government, which really makes it a pig in a poke, because it may be at times a lousy government.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Still difficult, but as you do not define pro-government, then I will have to choose that option. As much as you have positive messages with respect to pro-market, I see a "panicked lemming" aspect to markets that can be detrimental. I agree with your analysis of pro-business. You did not define pro-government, which really makes it a pig in a poke, because it may be at times a lousy government.
    Government is the means by which pro-business is favored. Thought I made that clear: "pro-business is accomplish [sic] by political or pro-government means."

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Government is the means by which pro-business is favored. Thought I made that clear: "pro-business is accomplish [sic] by political or pro-government means."
    Then why is pro-government listed as a separate entity in your list, if your only question is really pro-business or pro-market? What if I am neither pro-business or pro-market? I don't see either as the answer to everything economic. They each have their positives and negatives, most of which involve regulation in one way or another. Additionally, they are joined at the hip. If either is paramount, something will suffer, and neither can survive these days, without the other.

Reminds me about the joke about which is more important, the mouth or the (to put it politely) the alimentary tract. The most important thing is the brain.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Then why is pro-government listed as a separate entity in your list, if your only question is really pro-business or pro-market? What if I am neither pro-business or pro-market? I don't see either as the answer to everything economic. They each have their positives and negatives, most of which involve regulation in one way or another. Additionally, they are joined at the hip. If either is paramount, something will suffer, and neither can survive these days, without the other.

Reminds me about the joke about which is more important, the mouth or the (to put it politely) the alimentary tract. The most important thing is the brain.
    It was a joke: "To be "fair" I offer a pro-government choice. ;-)"

+ Reply to Thread