User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Millennials talking? Strange things happen @ the Masters where cell phones are banned

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Lol...don't join the rose coloured rear view mirror crew bashing today's youth. It's not just young people doing this. Cellphone hypnosis isn't age specific. The biggest offenders on the road are middle aged luxury car drivers.

The reality is, millennials are no different than any other generation. They just have different circumstances. Our duty, as people older than them is to complain about them and their incompetence. Just like every other generation did...
    I'm not excusing the Gen Xers and they are raising the millennials to be even more distracted and self absorbed. These are just my observations. I also find that immigrants are less distracted than homegrown workers, perhaps because they were not raised with the same degree of technology, nor have they been as spoiled. However, I disagree that millennials are not different but I am older than you are, so I've observed more generations. I don't think that my generation was ever as mentally and emotionally young as the millennials that I see and hear.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I'm not excusing the Gen Xers and they are raising the millennials to be even more distracted and self absorbed. These are just my observations. I also find that immigrants are less distracted than homegrown workers, perhaps because they were not raised with the same degree of technology, nor have they been as spoiled. However, I disagree that millennials are not different but I am older than you are, so I've observed more generations. I don't think that my generation was ever as mentally and emotionally young as the millennials that I see and hear.
    I'm in my late 40's, but I work with and know some millennials. I honestly think we all forget what we were like and what it's like to be young. Evidence would suggest this is something every generation does. They've said disparaging things about every generation that undergoes change and always claim the current generation is dis functional or inferior to previous generations.

Have you ever heard of an older generation praising the virtues of their days youth? Of course not.

From my personal experience, I've seen evidence of the stereotypes of today's youth. Their delicate sensibilities, entitlement and ignorance. It's easy to point out because it stands out and is easy to criticize. However, I've also known a lot of millennials who are far more mature than I was at their age. They are far more driven, informed, conscious, tolerant, aware and self reliant than I was at their age. They eat better, suffer from less of the angst of youth, are more emotionally mature and more certain of their future than I ever was. But obviously that doesn't apply to the entire generation, but they aren't the stereotype we think they are.

...but if their generation is as bad, broken an disfunctional as people claim, the fault lays with the previous generation...and in turn the generation before that and before that and before that, etc...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (04-13-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When im walking in a store or somewhere and I see a moron talking to himself, [bluetooth to his phone] If I dont move they would ram right into me.

One of my favorites you are in the supermarket youre pushing a cart and looking at the products in the aisle and someone rams your heel from behind with their cart, you turn around they are on the phone and dont even know they rammed you.

Ever have to ask someone to move thats talking bluetooth or with ear buds on the phone and you have to tap them to make them fricken move and they give you the most ANNOYED pissed off look because you made them stop fricken talking. Those people piss me off.

Remember this People floridas auto insurance has doubled in the last 5 yrs.

Legal Weed+Cellphones = more traffic fatalities, TONS more accidents and incredibly higher auto insurance for everyone.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    When im walking in a store or somewhere and I see a moron talking to himself, [bluetooth to his phone] If I dont move they would ram right into me.

One of my favorites you are in the supermarket youre pushing a cart and looking at the products in the aisle and someone rams your heel from behind with their cart, you turn around they are on the phone and dont even know they rammed you.

Ever have to ask someone to move thats talking bluetooth or with ear buds on the phone and you have to tap them to make them fricken move and they give you the most ANNOYED pissed off look because you made them stop fricken talking. Those people piss me off.

Remember this People floridas auto insurance has doubled in the last 5 yrs.

Legal Weed+Cellphones = more traffic fatalities, TONS more accidents and incredibly higher auto insurance for everyone.
    The grocery store pisses me off too. What bugs me the most are people who just leave their cart in the middle of the isle blocking others. I usually slam into them "accidentally" and give the bozo a "sorry".

I don't find cellphones in grocery stores much of a problem. It's the general disregard for others and the obliviousness.

I'm not sure of the legality of cellphone use in cars in Florida. I know distracted driving causes accidents. It shouldn't be legal to use them unless it's hands free. As to pot, there have been a variety of effects on accidents and fatalities. Some saw increases, others didn't. Frankly I don't think legalization has much of an impact. Those same people were driving and smoking prior to legalization. Legalizing pot doesn't really create many new users.

My biggest problem with driving in Florida is that many drivers don't seem to know how to use a highway properly. I've come to call it "Free for All Florida". Many Floridians don't seem to understand that the left lane is for passing only. That results in frustrated tailgating, passing on the right and big disparities in speed. This causes traffic issues and high speed collisions. A stoner in the right lane worried that he's going too fast is the least of my worries. It's the oblivious idiot doing the speed limit or under in the left lane that's the real danger. Do they not know what they're doing, or do they just don't care?

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I'm in my late 40's, but I work with and know some millennials. I honestly think we all forget what we were like and what it's like to be young. Evidence would suggest this is something every generation does. They've said disparaging things about every generation that undergoes change and always claim the current generation is dis functional or inferior to previous generations.

Have you ever heard of an older generation praising the virtues of their days youth? Of course not.

From my personal experience, I've seen evidence of the stereotypes of today's youth. Their delicate sensibilities, entitlement and ignorance. It's easy to point out because it stands out and is easy to criticize. However, I've also known a lot of millennials who are far more mature than I was at their age. They are far more driven, informed, conscious, tolerant, aware and self reliant than I was at their age. They eat better, suffer from less of the angst of youth, are more emotionally mature and more certain of their future than I ever was. But obviously that doesn't apply to the entire generation, but they aren't the stereotype we think they are.

...but if their generation is as bad, broken an disfunctional as people claim, the fault lays with the previous generation...and in turn the generation before that and before that and before that, etc...
    For sure every generation gripes about the newer generations and I wouldn't say that mine was exactly virtuous but I do think that we were less shallow and far more independent and self-sufficient. Perhaps it was being raised by depression era parents with so many having served in WWII and growing up during the cold-war with the specter of nuclear war always hanging over your head. I don't know, but I definitely see a different work ethic in my generation and even in the one following my generation than in the millennial generation. They are totally comfortable with technology, but when it comes to things that require analysis and research, not so much - so many don't have either the patience or curiosity. They also don't like to come in early or stay late and heaven forbid you ask them to travel on their time, it's like you are asking them to donate a kidney, however, they expect raises and promotions for just doing the basics. It's just a different attitude.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-13-2019)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,020x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Attributed to Socrates by Plato.

Plus ça change, la plus c'est la même chose.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,457x in 13,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Oh c'mon, like that hasn't happened to all of us, lol.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

10. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

alexa (04-13-2019)

+ Reply to Thread