Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    You can always count on him to go for low hanging fruit.

I suspect all over France people are saying, "Who?"
    I am confused as to what this post even means?

You are saying discussing why the destruction of place of worship bothers a nation that doesn't worship isn't an interesting question?

When you say Who? Do you mean when you say Jesus Christ to a Frenchman that he may ask who that is? or are you referring to Tucker Carlson? I am sure they don't know who he is...why should they? I don't know who their opinion hosts are and don't care.

The question is a fair one and Carlson is brilliant at bringing issues like this up.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (04-16-2019)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,020x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    I am confused as to what this post even means?

You are saying discussing why the destruction of place of worship bothers a nation that doesn't worship isn't an interesting question?

When you say Who? Do you mean when you say Jesus Christ to a Frenchman that he may ask who that is? or are you referring to Tucker Carlson? I am sure they don't know who he is...why should they? I don't know who their opinion hosts are and don't care.

The question is a fair one and Carlson is brilliant at bringing issues like this up.
    Carlson is an attention $#@!.

Have a nice day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alexa For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (04-23-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,095x in 27,768 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that the fire is out will the French determine how the fire started?

I noticed in the various stories that the islamofascists are not under consideration as the fire starters. I wonder why not. Islamofascists have been vandalizing churches and synagogues in Europe including burning them for many years.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    The fire and devastation at the Notre Dame Cathedral is very bad. I saw the 300 million dollars pledged by those two families and I was thinking about the rebuild. I have handled scores of fire claims, the largest being about $7,000,000 give or take. This is on another level. It's going to take time to solidify, stabilize, plan, design, raise money, mobilize and then begin construction.

1. How long do you think it'll take to begin construction? To actually start the rebuild (as opposed to the clear out)?
    2. Projected length of time once work is started?
    3. Projected costs? (I read that the place was in serious disrepair structurally before the fire so it'll have to be rebuilt)

My thoughts are that we won't see any construction before at least 3 years. First we'll have the C&O Investigation. (cause & origin of the fire) Then, imagine planning the new electrical, HVAC, fire-suppression, security, code-upgrades, etc. Imagine the fundraising. Bidding process.

Attachment 25807
    1. Without any unexpected issues holding it up, I think 3 years is a fair estimate.

2. I think it will be a minimum of 7 years before the rebuilding is complete, and again, that's without unexpected complications.

3. I have no idea on the costs, but expect that the $300 million raised is a drop in the bucket. In the end, it will be great for the economies of everywhere that provides labor and materials for it.
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post

I noticed in the various stories that the islamofascists are not under consideration as the fire starters. I wonder why not. Islamofascists have been vandalizing churches and synagogues in Europe including burning them for many years.
    It seems the fire started up in the area under construction. It's pretty unlikely that a terrorist could get access to the roof area undetected. It's certainly possible though. Construction has inherent risks and is often the cause of fires. Sparks from a misplaced nail or faulty equipment could have been the cause. I suspect it will be hard to determine.

I know some seem to really want it to be terrorism related and conspiracy theories will run wild, but in all likelihood it was just an accident.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

alexa (04-16-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my experience is any indication, they'll not seek to do anything but rebuild it as it was.

I would think therewill be a fire suppression component, but I don't think HVAC, internet, etc, will make the cut.

If nothing else, the volume of the cathedral probably makes HVAC cost prohibitive.
    I agree that they will likely try to build it as close to original as possible. Materials of a type that were not used in the original construction will not be used unless it is impossible to do otherwise.

I agree with you regarding HVAC. I would be shocked if they did include that. The cost to use that in a building of such size would be so great that it won't even be considered. I do, however, think that internet may make the cut. They can add that without it being very obtrusive or costly.
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Jordan For This Useful Post:

alexa (04-16-2019)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,735x in 55,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Carlson is an attention $#@!.

Have a nice day.
    It's his job to comment on current events. Are all commentators attention $#@!s?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    It seems the fire started up in the area under construction. It's pretty unlikely that a terrorist could get access to the roof area undetected. It's certainly possible though. Construction has inherent risks and is often the cause of fires. Sparks from a misplaced nail or faulty equipment could have been the cause. I suspect it will be hard to determine.

I know some seem to really want it to be terrorism related and conspiracy theories will run wild, but in all likelihood it was just an accident.
    It is far more likely the fire was intentionally set. Renovation construction does have risks. Known risks. A well run company would have taken those risks under consideration. How many Islamofascists worked on the renovation? How many worked in the general area where the fire started?

Notice how quickly you and other leftists dismiss the very idea that islamofascists had something to do with this fire. You are allies in your war against the west.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Lummy (04-16-2019)

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post

It is far more likely the fire was intentionally set. Renovation construction does have risks. Known risks. A well run company would have taken those risks under consideration. How many Islamofascists worked on the renovation? How many worked in the general area where the fire started?

Notice how quickly you and other leftists dismiss the very idea that islamofascists had something to do with this fire. You are allies in your war against the west.
    I'm not dismissing the idea that it was intentionally set. I just think it's more likely that it was an accident as per Occam's razor. If it was terrorism, you'd expect a more dramatic beginning, perhaps coordinated events and an immediate claim of responsibility.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (04-22-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I'm not dismissing the idea that it was intentionally set. I just think it's more likely that it was an accident as per Occam's razor. If it was terrorism, you'd expect a more dramatic beginning, perhaps coordinated events and an immediate claim of responsibility.
    I see the world differently. Occam's razor applies nicely to a fire set by an Islamofascist. I would expect a fire set by an individual to happen much as it happened.

+ Reply to Thread