Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,020x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Presidential action under the War Powers Act is not a declaration of war. That can only come from Congress. Our last declaration of war was WWII. Interestingly, FDR did not ask Congress to declare war. He asked Congress to recognize that a state of war has existed between the Empire of Japan and the United States of America since the attack on Pearl Harbor, the day prior.
    ""I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire"

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files...WarMessage.pdf

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presidential action under the War Powers Act is not a declaration of war. That can only come from Congress. Our last declaration of war was WWII. Interestingly, FDR did not ask Congress to declare war. He asked Congress to recognize that a state of war has existed between the Empire of Japan and the United States of America since the attack on Pearl Harbor, the day prior.
    Thank you for that explanation!
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-18-2019),Peter1469 (04-18-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,486x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    ""I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire"

https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files...WarMessage.pdf
    Read the entire sentence. He is asking Congress to declare that a state of war already exists. Not a big deal. Just a historic curiosity.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-18-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Iran is directly involved in Yemen. This isn’t even arguable.
    Correct and any one arguing that they haven't seen evidence of Iran being involved. Is just flat out lying and or nothing more than an Iranian puppet.

Report: Houthi Commander Admits Iran, Hezbollah Training ...

www.thetower.org/4440-report-houthi-commander-admits-iran...
    Report: Houthi Commander Admits Iran, Hezbollah Training Fighters in Yemen. Iran boasted of its support for Houthi rebels as early as October 2014, after the Houthis captured Yemen’s capital Sana’a. The following month, an Iranian lawmaker with ties to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei boasted that Iran controlled four Arab capitals.

Iranian Cleric Admits I.R.G.C. Provides Weapons to Houthis ...

https://www.mei.edu/publications/iranian-cleric-admits-irgc...
    A senior Iranian cleric, who reportedly advises Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, has in a rare video admitted that Iran provides weapons to the Houthi rebels in Yemen. “Iran’s catering of missiles to the Houthis was carried out in stages by the Revolutionary Guards and the support and assistance of …

Exclusive: Iran Revolutionary Guards find new route to arm ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf-kuwait-iran-exclusive...
    Iran's Revolutionary Guards have started using a new route across the Gulf to funnel covert arms shipments to their Houthi allies in Yemen's civil war, sources familiar with the matter have told …

Iranian support gave Houthi rebels resources to wage war ...

https://www.ifmat.org/08/21/iranian-support-gave-houthi-rebels...
    TIP CEO & President Joshua S. Block detailed how support from Iran gave Houthi rebels the resources to wage war in Yemen and how the humanitarian crisis affecting the Yemeni people could be alleviated by cutting off the Houthis from their Iranian masters. “It is clear that the UN Verification and

New proof of Iran military support to Yemen rebels | MEO

https://middle-east-online.com/en/new-proof-iran-military-support...
    Dec 12, 2018 · UNITED NATIONS - More suspected Iranian-made weapons have been found in Yemen, the UN says in a report that will be discussed Wednesday by the Security Council. The Gulf monarchies and United States accuse Iran of supporting Huthi rebels in Yemen -- and see this as justification for the military campaign they have been waging in Yemen since 2015.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-18-2019)

Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,379x in 27,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Here's the problem as I see it -- and someone much more knowledgeable might come along and correct me...a President can declare war
    Not under our Constitution.

-- he just can't engage our troops for longer than 60 days without Congress' permission. This is a facet of the War Powers Resolution -- not the Constitution. The Resolution was passed in light of the Vietnam War.
    The war powers act does not change a thing. Our right of self defense allows the President to defend the nation. Offensive actions require a Congressional war declaration.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-18-2019),FindersKeepers (04-18-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Not under our Constitution.

The war powers act does not change a thing. Our right of self defense allows the President to defend the nation. Offensive actions require a Congressional war declaration.
    Thank you. I misunderstood that.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-18-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I require evidence before I'll believe something. So far, I've seen precious little evidence supporting the theory that the Houthis are proxies of Iran. Indeed, most of the evidence I've seen so far would suggest they are not Iranian proxies, but a simple domestic insurgency with primarily domestic grievances. Naturally, if Iran were to offer them support, they would probably accept it. But the idea that the Houthis are mere puppets of Iran is just war propaganda.
    The international community at large has stated their belief via their intelligence assets that Iran is deeply involved in supporting the Houthis and have been for decades. While I've never claimed the Houthis were "puppets" of Iran they would not exist today without them.
    The US doesn't have to be inside Yemen in order to wage war against it.
    Neither does Iran yet here we are.
    Targeting AQAP while supporting the Saudi regime is sort of like punching a prostitute while giving guns to her pimp. It's more than a little quixotic.
    AQ is no friend to the Saudi regime. This is a common myth but a myth nonetheless. While there are some members of the Saudi Royal family (which has about 15,000 members) that are sympathetic to AQ the regime is not.

No wonder Al Qaeda hasn't been defeated in almost eighteen years of fighting. The US government isn't actually trying to destroy them.
    Yes we utilize the enemy of our enemy in war regardless of other agendas. Sometimes short-sighted sometimes not but certainly not something that is new to history.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the entire sentence. He is asking Congress to declare that a state of war already exists. Not a big deal. Just a historic curiosity.
    Yo Pete.....looks like Iran was financing and supporting the Houthis. Even sending advisors into Yemen.

They just wasn't slick enough to hide it from everybody, huh?
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Ukraine is on Russia's border. And before it obtained its political independence, parts of Ukraine had been inside of Russian territory and political control going back to the 13th century. It's also been used as an invasion path into Russia on numerous occasions. Given all that, Russia obviously has a more substantial interest in Ukrainian affairs than the US. It's a mystery why some Americans think US involvement in that third world rump state is a good idea. The only thing it accomplishes is to strain our relations with Russia, a major nuclear power.
    Interest in Ukrainian affairs is a tad different than invasion an appropriating a large portion of a sovereign nation. The area that was appropriated gives Russia crucial access to ports on the Black Sea which is a major power projector and global destabilization catalyst.
    Why you think relations with Russia is important simply because they are a major nuclear power is beyond me. Having nukes does not equate to the necessity for good relations.

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, but do you think an actual Russian person could write as well in English as PJL does? I don't detect a hint of Russian language in his writing. If he is some kind of shadowy Russian figure, then he's doing a really good job of impersonating a native English speaker. Putin must have sent one of his top people to take over tPF.

(Putin and advisers sit around a table tucked deep inside a Russian military bunker)

Adviser: Vladimir Putin, it pleases us to inform you that Russia's worldwide conspiracy to destroy everything that is good goes according to plan.
    Putin: Yes, but what of tPF?

(the advisers shift anxiously in their seats as they exchange nervous looks with each other)

Adviser: Well, Vladimir... these things take time. Rigging elections inside the US and numerous other countries is one thing, but infiltrating tPF? Please, be patient, Vladimir. We have one of our top men on the job.
    Putin: Yes, but he's been experiencing some difficulties, hasn't he?
    Adviser: Well, yes, Vladimir. Some of tPF's top detectives are on the job. And as everyone knows, the members of tPF have never been mistaken about someone's identity before. Still, our operative will persevere!

Haven't we learned by now not to speculate on these kinds of things? What does it matter anyway? Does being Russian make someone's arguments automatically bad or worthless? I agree with a lot of what he says because it relies on sound reasoning and principles. As far as I can tell, JPL is advocating for the same values as America's founders, i.e., neutrality and independence in foreign affairs. The founders were not the least bit shy about their views on foreign policy either. We know for a fact that they believed in a far more restrained foreign policy. And, yet, we're supposed to believe that people like Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have a better hold on foreign policy principles than George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Excuse me while I puke.
    Most likely an expat.

-Darth Vader

+ Reply to Thread