User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sex, alcohol and violence collided in murder case ensnaring SEALs and Marines

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex, alcohol and violence collided in murder case ensnaring SEALs and Marines

I have mentioned this case in another thread. This is an update- we now know what happened. SEALs, MARSOC, and Army SoF were working together in Africa. There was some animosity between them, but the incident appears to be the typical hazing that is seen in elite units. Unfortunately an Army SoF sergeant was killed. Two SEALs (from Seal Team 6) and two Marine SoF broken into the Army guy's room. He was put into a choke hold and his legs duct taped (probably arms too). It seems as if the MARSOC guys will get light punishment (still a career killer) and the Seals may get stiffer sentences.

After a long night of drinking in Mali’s capital, two Navy SEALs and two Marine Raiders smashed their way into Army Staff Sgt. Logan J. Melgar’s room with a sledgehammer.

Armed with duct tape, they had a goal, two of the alleged assailants recalled: teach the Green Beret soldier a lesson for leaving them behind in traffic on the way to a party at the French Embassy. It was the latest chapter in a feud between Melgar and the SEALs, who had traded accusations about careless behavior that could threaten their mission.

One of the SEALs, Petty Officer 1st Class Anthony E. DeDolph,

a former professional mixed-martial-arts fighter and a Purple Heart recipient, jumped on Melgar and put him in a chokehold on his bed sometime after 5 a.m., two of the men later told authorities. The other SEAL, Chief Petty Officer Adam C. Matthews, grabbed Melgar’s legs, while the two Marines sought to duct-tape them.

They moved on to Melgar’s wrists but realized he had stopped breathing.

“At this point, we immediately began attempts to revive SSGT Melgar,” Matthews recalled in a written description of that night’s events that he recently signed and submitted to the military. “He remained unresponsive, so we laid him back down and I began rescue breaths while the tape was cut off of him.”

“His chest rose and fell from my rescue breaths, and during one of the breaths, I saw red-

tinted spittle come out of his mouth and hit me in the face.”
    I have been choked out like this before. If done correctly it is harmless. And funny to all except the unconscious guy.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Armed with duct tape, they had a goal, two of the alleged assailants recalled: teach the Green Beret soldier a lesson for leaving them behind in traffic on the way to a party at the French Embassy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I have been choked out like this before. If done correctly it is harmless. And funny to all except the unconscious guy.
    Is this a "bonding" thing?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Is this a "bonding" thing?
    Probably so.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,304
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,341x in 15,822 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

I have mentioned this case in another thread. This is an update- we now know what happened. SEALs, MARSOC, and Army SoF were working together in Africa. There was some animosity between them, but the incident appears to be the typical hazing that is seen in elite units. Unfortunately an Army SoF sergeant was killed. Two SEALs (from Seal Team 6) and two Marine SoF broken into the Army guy's room. He was put into a choke hold and his legs duct taped (probably arms too). It seems as if the MARSOC guys will get light punishment (still a career killer) and the Seals may get stiffer sentences.

The story from the SEALs is bull$#@!. The murder of Melgar was no accident. They need to be hanged.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The story from the SEALs is bull$#@!. The murder of Melgar was no accident. They need to be hanged.
    I have not heard if they are going to be tried in a capital case- or not.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Seal plead guilty to hazing. He got demoted two ranks and 1 year in prison. And a bad conduct discharge, so most of his vet benefits are gone. This guy was on Seal Team 6.

A Navy SEAL pleaded guilty Thursday in the hazing death of a Special Forces soldier, acknowledging his role in a case that pulled back the veil of secrecy on a sensitive U.S. military deployment in Africa.

In a pretrial agreement, Chief Special Warfare Operator Adam C. Matthews pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit assault, unlawful entry, obstruction of justice and violating a general order by committing hazing. He had faced additional charges, including felony murder.

Navy Capt. Michael J. Luken, the judge in the case, sentenced Matthews on Thursday to one year of imprisonment, a demotion in rank to special operator second class and a bad-conduct discharge, which will take away most of his medical benefits.

Matthews said that he, along with another member of the Navy’s SEAL Team 6 and two elite Marine Raiders, caused the death of Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar, 34, by carrying out a “juvenile” late-night plot to break into the soldier’s room with a sledgehammer, place him in a chokehold, restrain him with duct tape and record it on video. The incident happened June 4, 2017, in Mali’s capital, Bamako.

Matthews, who grew up in Northern Virginia, said that he wanted to apologize to “the many I have hurt through my actions” and that there was no justification for them. He had been on the ground in Mali less than two days when he participated in the hazing and should have stopped it, he said.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread