Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone had Cataract Surgery

Doctor said im a candidate and I am having problems with my left eye, everything is darker and print is slightly wavy. In the last year its gotten much worse and doc says it will be even worse next year, its not going away on its own so I get it done now or next year.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Doctor said im a candidate and I am having problems with my left eye, everything is darker and print is slightly wavy. In the last year its gotten much worse and doc says it will be even worse next year, its not going away on its own so I get it done now or next year.

Now
    It doesn't hurt and immensely improves your vision. I had it done about 10 years ago and have had absolutely no issues with it at all. One additional plus is that I was near sighted before but am not now. I need readers but I can go into any Dollar General and buy $2.00 sunglasses off the rack!!

Do it, if you are the 99.9% who never have an issue you won't regret it.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Now
    It doesn't hurt and immensely improves your vision. I had it done about 10 years ago and have had absolutely no issues with it at all. One additional plus is that I was near sighted before but am not now. I need readers but I can go into any Dollar General and buy $2.00 sunglasses off the rack!!

Do it, if you are the 99.9% who never have an issue you won't regret it.
    can you see the middle distance without glass's, do you see the dashboard on your car with no problem
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you see the middle distance without glass's, do you see the dashboard on your car with no problem
    Yes. No problem.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Yes. No problem.
    My decision is this, if I get the distance done in the left eye, then I have to get the right eye done also, If I opt for much improved near sighted vision in my left I dont need the right eye done. I have a hard time quantifying having two surgeries just so I dont have to wear glass's

You still need glass's' for computer and reading right Nathan ?
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My decision is this, if I get the distance done in the left eye, then I have to get the right eye done also, If I opt for much improved near sighted vision in my left I dont need the right eye done. I have a hard time quantifying having two surgeries just so I dont have to wear glass's

Reading yes, computer no.

Normally they will only do one eye at a time. In the event they botch the surgery they don't want you to go completely blind. That gives you an opportunity to see if doing one or both eyes are the best. I did my left eye and then about 3 weeks later I did the other eye. It was a bit disconcerting to me only having one eye done since I could see very well out of that eye but my right eye still need glasses

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,458x in 20,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had cataract surgery, but not the vision correction surgery. This is what was told to me. If you have it done, the corrective near/far sighted surgery, you'll need it again, that you eyes will eventually go back to the way they were.
    I still have long and short eye glasses, although my long sight is slightly better, post surgery. I have an irregular astigmatism in my right eye which prohibits me from wearing bi-focals.
    I cannot use a scope and my glasses. I have to shoot without glasses, but my sight is good enough to get a fix and target what I'm shooting at.
    I'd get it. It'll make a world of difference for you, and with today's tech, it's easy-peasy.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,611x in 25,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it done almost three years ago, had the close up done. They will do the close up vision in the other eye when it gets to that point. Now, I wear bifocals.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,275
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cataracts are progressive and can ultimately result in total blindness. So, I don't think you have much choice in whether or not to get surgery unless you are willing to become increasingly blind. My late parents both had their eyes done and so has my younger brother. It's not just lasic surgery. The doctor actually replaces the lens in your eye, however the type of lens can also address certain vision issues:

Fixed-focus monofocal. This type of lens has a single focus strength for distance vision. Reading will generally require the use of reading glasses.

Accommodating-focus monofocal. Although these lenses only have a single focusing strength, they can respond to eye muscle movements and shift focus on to near or distant objects.

Multifocal. These lenses are similar to glasses with bifocal or progressive lenses. Different areas of the lens have different focusing strengths, allowing for near, medium and far vision.

Astigmatism correction (toric). If you have a significant astigmatism, a toric lens can help correct your vision.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384765
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Cataracts are progressive and can ultimately result in total blindness. So, I don't think you have much choice in whether or not to get surgery unless you are willing to become increasingly blind. My late parents both had their eyes done and so has my younger brother. It's not just lasic surgery. The doctor actually replaces the lens in your eye, however the type of lens can also address certain vision issues:
    He told me I am not a candidate for Multifocal lenses because I have macular wrinkling, thats not macular degeneration its a different disease that doesnt make you go blind. Just for everyones info medicare and related insurances will not pay for multifocal cataract surgery you have to additional out of pocket for those lenses.

My decision is to get the distance lense where I need reading glass'. Or get my near sightedness made far better and still need glass's. If I get the distance lenses, ill have to get both eyes done, if I get the near sightedness ill still have to wear glass's. If Im reading it right thats what @DGUtley had done

BTW my father was almost blind in one eye and couldnt see well out of the other one before I could talk him into getting the surgery. One eye came out perfect he had issues with the other eye
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

+ Reply to Thread