Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Graham Han$#@!

In 1995, a British journalist published a book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. The main assertion of the book was that there had been far older civilizations, boasting far greater technological and cultural developments, than traditional historians acknowledged. Many other writers had proposed such a theory, as they have since, but Han$#@!, a very talented writer, took great pains to make his rather massive book a model of scholarly inquiry and reasonableness. In other words, not your usual "kook" theorizing.

I remember thinking at the time that the book was unfortunately named, as many people remember a book from 1968 called 'Chariots of the Gods' by a Swiss hotel manager named Erich von Daniken, who wrote a number of sequels, all of which advanced the "ancient astronaut" concept. Han$#@! is most definitely not von Daniken. Many critics have labeled Han$#@! a proponent of "pseudo-history" or "pseudo-archeology", but even if one is skeptical of his claims he is still a gifted writer, and his books are fascinating.

Han$#@! has since published several more books along the same lines, including studies and speculations about the Great Sphinx and another about the history and legends surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Back in 2002, I think it was, he wrote a huge book called 'Underworld', focusing on strange, in some cases unexplained, archeological phenomena beneath the Earth's oceans.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that he is going to be doing a book signing in the Phoenix area this coming Wednesday, and I'm planning to haul my bag o' books down there for autographs and meet the gentleman, along with picking up his new book, 'Magicians of the Gods', of course.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-22-2019),felexsanders (05-26-2019),Lummy (04-22-2019),MisterVeritis (04-22-2019),Peter1469 (04-22-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked. Ten bucks on Amazon.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My error. His new book is 'America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization'. 'Magicians' is the book he published in 2015.

Great fun and, as I say, some awfully good writing, even if you don't buy any of it as fact.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,765
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,450x in 13,505 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    My error. His new book is 'America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization'. 'Magicians' is the book he published in 2015.

Great fun and, as I say, some awfully good writing, even if you don't buy any of it as fact.
    Cool, I might add it to my list.

On a side note, the site's idiotic profanity filter ruined your thread title, LOL.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Cool, I might add it to my list.

On a side note, the site's idiotic profanity filter ruined your thread title, LOL.
    Yeah, I didn't see that one coming.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,765
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,450x in 13,505 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I didn't see that one coming.
    I just placed a hold on Magicians of the Gods, audiobook version, from my library. If I like it, I may buy some of his other works from Audible.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

8. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (04-22-2019)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1995, a British journalist published a book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. The main assertion of the book was that there had been far older civilizations, boasting far greater technological and cultural developments, than traditional historians acknowledged. Many other writers had proposed such a theory, as they have since, but Han$#@!, a very talented writer, took great pains to make his rather massive book a model of scholarly inquiry and reasonableness. In other words, not your usual "kook" theorizing.

I remember thinking at the time that the book was unfortunately named, as many people remember a book from 1968 called 'Chariots of the Gods' by a Swiss hotel manager named Erich von Daniken, who wrote a number of sequels, all of which advanced the "ancient astronaut" concept. Han$#@! is most definitely not von Daniken. Many critics have labeled Han$#@! a proponent of "pseudo-history" or "pseudo-archeology", but even if one is skeptical of his claims he is still a gifted writer, and his books are fascinating.

Han$#@! has since published several more books along the same lines, including studies and speculations about the Great Sphinx and another about the history and legends surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Back in 2002, I think it was, he wrote a huge book called 'Underworld', focusing on strange, in some cases unexplained, archeological phenomena beneath the Earth's oceans.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that he is going to be doing a book signing in the Phoenix area this coming Wednesday, and I'm planning to haul my bag o' books down there for autographs and meet the gentleman, along with picking up his new book, 'Magicians of the Gods', of course.
    You've piqued my interest. My e-library doesn't have Fingerprints, I usually like to start with first works on a subject, but this time I went straight to the recommended book. post mortem in a week or two (yes, I read quickly and voraciously)
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

countryboy (04-22-2019),Standing Wolf (04-22-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,526x in 94,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have listened to several interviews with both Han$#@! and von Daniken. Good stuff.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is one hard read. Unless one already knows much of the scientific references, you spend a great deal of time reading, and googling. While I have a passing acquaintance with some of the terminology, his 'squirrel' off into another subject, liberally peppered with personal adventures, took quite a bit of time to align to the subject.

I am a voracious reader, and quite used to finishing a lengthy tome in a week. I've been at this since the thread started, and am barely 25% of the way. Perhaps it's me, but there seems to be a great bit of promoting his previous works also.

I will continue on, but I will definitely not be using the phrase 'well written'.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

+ Reply to Thread