Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,612x in 4,342 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Yes, it does. She also took pains to deny that feminists have long championed this sort of socialization argument after I pointed out that transgender politics are a logical outcome of precisely that sort of argument.
    My view is that transgenderism is consequential of the ideology of gender. Gender is a conservative ideology that says males are this way (dominant) and females are that way (subordinate). Thus, one who fails to conform to their prescribed social roles can become convinced that it's because they somehow metaphysically belong to the other sex. Gender ideology was re-popularized in its current form by $#@! movement theorists in the 1990s and has been streamlined onto the phones of the masses in the age of social media (i.e. today). It hinges on the Victorian era theory of the "male brain" and "female brain", which is probably nonsense you yourself passionately believe in.

Solving transgenderism means allowing for gender-nonconformity; it means not calling boys "$#@!" for playing with dolls and not referring to girls as "boys" for preferring toy trucks or video games, for example. Transgenderism is symptomatic of the fact that we need to broaden out and de-metaphysicalize our concepts of what it is to be male and female respectively. You see what I'm saying?

The only difference between you and a transgender movement activist in this area is that you subscribe to an older form of gender ideology that stresses the importance of gender-conforming behavior rather than gender-conforming identity. A difference of stress isn't a difference of principle.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-26-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,046
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,612x in 4,342 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I agree that there continues to be a significant problem with domestic violence and the vast majority is perpetrated by males. I think that it's primarily learned behavior as is misogyny. Can there be overlap with certain mental disorders? I think so.
    I agree. But overlap is different from consistently, one-sided blaming everything on mental illness. I assure you that violence is a choice for 99% of the population at the end of the day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (04-26-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    My view is that transgenderism is consequential of the ideology of gender. Gender is a conservative ideology that says males are this way (dominant) and females are that way (subordinate). Thus, one who fails to conform to their prescribed social roles can become convinced that it's because they somehow metaphysically belong to the other sex. Gender ideology was re-popularized in its current form by $#@! movement theorists in the 1990s and has been streamlined onto the phones of the masses in the age of social media (i.e. today). It hinges on the Victorian era theory of the "male brain" and "female brain", which is probably nonsense you yourself passionately believe in.

Solving transgenderism means allowing for gender-nonconformity; it means not calling boys "$#@!" for playing with dolls and not referring to girls as "boys" for preferring toy trucks or video games, for example. Transgenderism is symptomatic of the fact that we need to broaden out and de-metaphysicalize our concepts of what it is to be male and female respectively. You see what I'm saying?

The only difference between you and a transgender movement activist in this area is that you subscribe to an older form of gender ideology that stresses the importance of gender-conforming behavior rather than gender-conforming identity. A difference of stress isn't a difference of principle.
    It's amazing how this "ideology" managed to appear independently all over the world eons before the Victorian era. Look, this is safe space kook stuff. I'm not really interested in exploring your musings on gender. Feminists remain steadfastly ignorant of biology, history and anthropology. Whatever. What I am interested in doing is pointing out how transgender politics are a direct and logical consequence of feminist arguments. You can't resist falling back yet again to this constructionist position yet you still don't understand that it is precisely this kooky position that gives people the idea that men can be women and vice versa. It absolutely amazing how you go back and forth between making these claims and then denouncing men who no longer wish to be men.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree. But overlap is different from consistently, one-sided blaming everything on mental illness. I assure you that violence is a choice for 99% of the population at the end of the day.
    Virtually no one engages in a "one-sided blaming everything on mental illness". A tiny fraction of violence is attributed to mental illness. Why do you always make things up? Have you ever stepped back and wondered if this at least partly why you get a negative reaction?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,708x in 54,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Gender is an ideology now?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Gender is an ideology now?
    She can't seem to wrap her mind around the logical consequences of this position.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    She can't seem to wrap her mind around the logical consequences of this position.
    Postmodernism is anti-logical. Just a series of "interesting" declarations. To cite AOC: "I think that there a lot of people more concerned with being precisely, factually and semantically correct than about being morally right."
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,396x in 15,966 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Postmodernism is anti-logical. Just a series of "interesting" declarations. To cite AOC: "I think that there a lot of people more concerned with being precisely, factually and semantically correct than about being morally right."
    Thats rich coming from AOC. To even mention morality and liberalism in the same breath is laughable.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Thats rich coming from AOC. To even mention morality and liberalism in the same breath is laughable.
    Of course, she's not being moral but just moralizing.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it that we try and explain male violence as consequential of mental illness? Many women struggle with mental illness and rejection too, yet far less often resort to violent solutions. This isn't mental illness at work here folks, it's an ideology that says men are entitled to a yes answer.
    The gap in violence between men and women is biological at its core. Men are more prone to violence because of testosterone. Put testosterone together with mental illness, and it gets nasty. Women can certainly be violent as well, but again, differences in these aggregate trends come down to biology, not social constructs or ideology.
    That being said, culture can intensify violence. However, if we compare this culture to most others, violence toward women here is significantly lower than in a lot of other cultures. Islamic cultures, in particular, tend to be the most violent against women.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-16-2019)

+ Reply to Thread