Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I believe it's fair to say that the strong "anti-SJW" reaction to Captain Marvel - and the somewhat more muted backlash to the popularity of Black Panther - has come about simply as a direct result of people liking/loving the movie for what some people consider "the wrong reasons". (We often hear, "Movies shouldn't be political!"...except, of course, when the political message of a movie corresponds to the politics of the critic.)

Many people - not all of them women, of course - rhapsodize over the depiction of a strong woman in films such as Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel; similarly, many people go crazy over a movie like Black Panther for its positive depiction of Black people. Why such positive, even joyful reactions should generate such negative reactions is something I don't entirely understand. Do some people just feel "left out" as a result? Is it truly misogyny or racial bigotry, or just a bad case of the pouts?
    Has nothing to do with anit Sjw, it has to do with the absurdity of it. I dont pay to see movies of any kind no matter who is playing the lead.

So whats next in the hollywood liberal agenda, another Jesus Christ movie, where Jesus is a black woman but has 2 white male slaves to carry the cross up the road so she can be crucified. Gee that will make some people feel good

Or how about we just make movies that are all black or all female and be done with it. WAIT!!!!!!!! better yet instead of just insinuating it in every movie how about the just blatantly make "White Males" the bad guys, the evil ones in all black or all female movies. That will portray exactly what they are trying to get across much quicker

You make this comment

(We often hear, "Movies shouldn't be political!"...except, of course, when the political message of a movie corresponds to the politics of the critic.

What tripe these movies are MADE for politics created out of politics and to push a political agenda and you try to blame those that are critical of these blatant productions and say they are the ones that politizing it. Just amazing how things are twisted to be favorable to the author
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of like the way some folks were so intensely butt-hurt when they "lost" the institution of civil marriage?
    In your mind seeing a movie is the same as five men wearing black dresses legislating from the judicial bench?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,089x in 12,284 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Has nothing to do with anit Sjw, it has to do with the absurdity of it. I dont pay to see movies of any kind no matter who is playing the lead.

So whats next in the hollywood liberal agenda, another Jesus Christ movie, where Jesus is a black woman but has 2 white male slaves to carry the cross up the road so she can be crucified. Gee that will make some people feel good

Or how about we just make movies that are all black or all female and be done with it. WAIT!!!!!!!! better yet instead of just insinuating it in every movie how about the just blatantly make "White Males" the bad guys, the evil ones in all black or all female movies. That will portray exactly what they are trying to get across much quicker

You make this comment

(We often hear, "Movies shouldn't be political!"...except, of course, when the political message of a movie corresponds to the politics of the critic.

What tripe these movies are MADE for politics created out of politics and to push a political agenda and you try to blame those that are critical of these blatant productions and say they are the ones that politizing it. Just amazing how things are twisted to be favorable to the author
    When it comes to movies, much of what is mischaracterized as "political" is really nothing of the kind. A movie like Boys Don't Cry, for instance, about the murder of a transgender man, is the true story of someone who was murdered because of who he was. I know of no legitimate political party or movement that takes a stand in favor of that sort of crime...do you? The film American History X highlights the ugly mindlessness of the White nationalist skinhead community. Again, is that really a Right-Left debating point? (I have long been of the opinion, by the way, that both films should be shown to every high school student in America.) Both films shine a light on the ugliness of violent intolerance. That is no more political than it is debatable. Yet I suspect that you would label at least one of them as advancing the "liberal agenda".

Another example of a movie that was accused of promoting a "liberal agenda" - actually, it was accused of being "anti-military", but to many ignorant individuals, the two are the same - is Avatar. It was said that the military was cast in a bad light in that film...except that there were no military members in it; the soldiers were corporate mercenaries. In terms of plot, the film might as well have been a remake of a some of those railroad workers vs. Indians movies of the 1950s. In fact, criticism of the way indigenous people have been treated by corporate interests and their hired help is an American tradition in popular culture. It wasn't invented by James Cameron, and it isn't confined to the "liberal agenda".

Quote Originally Posted by Common

When any of those things come to pass, then you'll have something to complain about, C. In the meantime, it's all inane, hyperbolic posturing on your part.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,089x in 12,284 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...What tripe these movies are MADE for politics created out of politics and to push a political agenda and you try to blame those that are critical of these blatant productions and say they are the ones that politizing it...
    Exactly what agenda is being advanced by having one or two movies out of literally dozens of superhero films focus on a female hero? Or by having a single film depict a Black superhero? I'm sincerely curious to know your thinking on this, so please don't dodge the question.

I reiterate my belief that it isn't the movies themselves that have caused a backlash - particularly since we hear so many expressions of butt-hurt from individuals who proudly admit that they haven't even seen the films in question and have no intention of doing so - but the happy reaction of, in this case, many women and Black people. That reaction seems to bother some folks...may even cause them to being ranting about how soon White males will either be eliminated from movies all together or will be cast strictly as villains.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (05-01-2019)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of like the way some folks were so intensely butt-hurt when they "lost" the institution of civil marriage?
    Pretty much, yeah. It's an apt analogy.

Exactly what agenda is being advanced by having one or two movies out of literally dozens of superhero films focus on a female hero? Or by having a single film depict a Black superhero? I'm sincerely curious to know your thinking on this, so please don't dodge the question.
    Question predictably dodged via non-answer.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 05-01-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what kind of movies do you like, @Common?

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    So what kind of movies do you like, @Common?
    Im not a big movie or tv guy, I cant give you a definitive answer because I dont have a certain type I go bonkers for.
    My wife likes some movies so I watch them with her not because they are my thing. id rather read a book or work around the house.

Hollywood makes cheap crap now, and all the endings SUCK because they always leave them open for a cheap made sequel.

Not trying to insult anyone but the popularity of these silly super hero cartoon movies demonstrates the mindset of the millenial generation

The biggest turnoff is hollywood putting their liberal message into everything and please dont try to tell me they dont I wont believe it polly
    Last edited by Common; 05-01-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not a big movie or tv guy, I cant give you a definitive answer because I dont have a certain type I go bonkers for.
    My wife likes some movies so I watch them with her not because they are my thing. id rather read a book or work around the house.

Hollywood makes cheap crap now, and all the endings SUCK because they always leave them open for a cheap made sequel.

Not trying to insult anyone but the popularity of these silly super hero cartoon movies demonstrates the mindset of the millenial generation

The biggest turnoff is hollywood putting their liberal message into everything and please dont try to tell me they dont I wont believe it polly
    Ideally I was looking for maybe the naming of one film that you did actually like. It's not a difficult request. Most people, even people who don't watch or care for a lot of movies, can name one or two that they did enjoy.

As to the generational argument here, I would point out that what one might call cartoonish action-oriented movies have been consistently the highest-grossing movies every year from 1977 (the year the original Star Wars and Superman films came out) to the present and that they've generally been considered family affairs for that entire time. So I'm not sure that the type of thing you're referencing here is actually a strictly generational phenomenon.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 05-01-2019 at 06:51 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (05-01-2019)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Ideally I was looking for maybe the naming of one film that you did actually like. It's not a difficult request. Most people, even people who don't watch or care for a lot of movies, can name one or two that they did enjoy.

As to the generational argument here, I would point out that what one might call cartoonish action-oriented movies have been consistently the highest-grossing movies every year from 1977 (the year the original Star Wars and Superman films came out) to the present and that they've generally been considered family affairs for that entire time. So I'm not sure that the type of thing you're referencing here is actually a strictly generational phenomenon.
    Mighty Joe Young, the original

Star wars had human actors, the animations where the same animations that are in all movies. The actors were HUMAN not computer generated like

Resident Evil.

Look the left and hollywood are trying to convince us that women are not onlyi the same as men but better and most of us that arent millenials dont and wont and rightfully wont believe it.

People other than millenials who have been indoctrinated since birth see it for what it is.

If Hollywood approached it differently it would have been far more acceptable.
    Last edited by Common; 05-01-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little bit of a cinephile. I watch a lot of movies. Here are some of my favorite films spanning my lifetime, organized by year of release (and also skipping a year here and there where I can't think of anything appreciable):

1984: The Terminator
    1985: The Color Purple
    1986: ???
    1987: Robocop
    1988: Grave of the Fireflies
    1989: Heathers
    1990: Total Recall
    1991: Thelma & Louise
    1992: A League of Their Own
    1993: Jurassic Park
    1994: Pulp Fiction
    1995: Tank Girl
    1996: Bound
    1997: G.I. Jane
    1998: The Truman Show
    1999: Office Space
    2000: Requiem for a Dream
    2001: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    2002: The Century of the Self
    2003: Kill Bill: Volume 1
    2004: Million Dollar Baby
    2005: ???
    2006: Idiocracy
    2007: Persepolis
    2008: Wall-E
    2009: Precious
    2010: Winter's Bone
    2011: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    2012: The Hunger Games
    2013: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    2014: Wild
    2015: Carol
    2016: The Lobster
    2017: Fear Us Women
    2018: Mommy Wildest

And here are what I'd classify as my current overall all-time top five:

1) Carol
    2) Mad Max: Fury Road
    3) The Grapes of Wrath
    4) Jurassic Park
    5) Bound

As one can see, I don't have a lot of strong genre preferences. I like some romances, some action movies, some comedies, some documentaries, live-action, animation, fiction, non-fiction, some mainstream, others obscure, it all just depends on the contents.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 05-01-2019 at 07:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread