Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Captain Marvel Freakout: Satisfying Observations

If you watched YouTube in any of the five months leading up to the release of the Captain Marvel movie, you might have noticed an uptick in content pre-emptively attacking the film because feminism. The anti-feminist movement against this film made its way indeed across much of social media, resulting in, for example, an audience anticipation score or just 27% on Rotten Tomatoes due to organized trolling. In reality, of course, the film was given a Cinema Score of A by actual moviegoers alongside a 73% "definite recommend" score on Post Trak, and has gone on earn more than $404 million domestically alone and more than $1 billion worldwide already, and is easily the highest-grossing film of the year to date. Clearly then there exists a certain divorce between the real world and the world of social media. A emergent popular YouTuber observed this divorce and poked fun at in a recent YouTube video.

Just thought I'd share it today because I found it funny to actually watch the anti-feminist online movement that mobilized so obsessively and insanely against this movie discredited and mocked at-length. It's satisfying.

Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-26-2019 at 07:27 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (04-26-2019),Standing Wolf (04-26-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally Polly I think that all these superhero trash movies suck. Hollywood puts out pure garbage today.

Either there is no plot or it sucks and endings are all lacking because they want to leave everything open to a cheap made sequel.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (04-27-2019)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Polly: I only had time right now to watch the first six minutes of the video, but I'm definitely going to watch the rest later. What I've seen of it is funny as Hell and right on target.

Common: Actually, most of the superhero movies of today are outstanding in terms of production and sheer entertainment value. It's popular in some circles to put down superhero movies in much the same way that some people denigrate their source material - the comics. Popular culture has always, and I mean always been about larger-than-life heroes and villains battling one another. (Ever hear of 'The Epic of Gilgamesh'? 'The Iliad' and 'The Odyssey'? 'Beowulf'?) Sure, there are great movies about dysfunctional families (American Beauty) and crime victims (I finally got around to watching Room earlier this week) and any number of other things, but sometimes we, as human beings, just want to watch a good slugfest - maybe with some humor and snazzy gadgets thrown in. Nobody does that better than Marvel, at this point.

Personally, I think it's probably better for developing minds and for society as a whole if our popular entertainment contains more power rays and flying people and fewer running gun battles where the heroes' only power comes from the barrel of a gun.

If you really want to see some movies that suck, check out some of the stilted, badly acted police dramas or cowboy films of the '30s and '40s, or the "experimental" art films of the '60s.

The silly, hyperbolic, over-the-top reaction of the anti-SJWers being mocked in the OP's video, however, is highly entertaining. And these are not folks who eschew superhero movies - they are self-proclaimed geeks and fanboys, who just have a problem with a movie that stars a powerful, confidant woman and can't abide the thought that some real life girls and women might take inspiration from that.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will watch based solely on her looks.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHA, she has a cat, SO...*pointing index finger trembles*...the Obama Deep State strikes again!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-28-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe it's fair to say that the strong "anti-SJW" reaction to Captain Marvel - and the somewhat more muted backlash to the popularity of Black Panther - has come about simply as a direct result of people liking/loving the movie for what some people consider "the wrong reasons". (We often hear, "Movies shouldn't be political!"...except, of course, when the political message of a movie corresponds to the politics of the critic.)

Many people - not all of them women, of course - rhapsodize over the depiction of a strong woman in films such as Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel; similarly, many people go crazy over a movie like Black Panther for its positive depiction of Black people. Why such positive, even joyful reactions should generate such negative reactions is something I don't entirely understand. Do some people just feel "left out" as a result? Is it truly misogyny or racial bigotry, or just a bad case of the pouts?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-28-2019)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to make fun of the ridiculous old horror movies and such where the women could only scream. Literally the bad guy killed their boyfriend in a long fight which could have been over at any point if she quit screaming and helped. A flower pot to the head or something. I think a lot of today's stuff is more realistic. By Hollywood standards that is. But I think it's a mistake for some actresses to make such an issue of it, instead of just normalizing these characters.
    Honestly , I do have to agree with MV a little. Wonder Woman can feminize all she wants as long as she keeps doing the films in that outfit!
    Last edited by donttread; 04-28-2019 at 04:44 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-29-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I believe it's fair to say that the strong "anti-SJW" reaction to Captain Marvel - and the somewhat more muted backlash to the popularity of Black Panther - has come about simply as a direct result of people liking/loving the movie for what some people consider "the wrong reasons". (We often hear, "Movies shouldn't be political!"...except, of course, when the political message of a movie corresponds to the politics of the critic.)

Many people - not all of them women, of course - rhapsodize over the depiction of a strong woman in films such as Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel; similarly, many people go crazy over a movie like Black Panther for its positive depiction of Black people. Why such positive, even joyful reactions should generate such negative reactions is something I don't entirely understand. Do some people just feel "left out" as a result? Is it truly misogyny or racial bigotry, or just a bad case of the pouts?
    I don't think that is it, at all.

I liked black Panther. I thought it was a good way to kill a couple of hours. It certainly didn't change my life or have any profound effect on me 30 minutes after I left the theater.

I haven't seen Captain Marvel and don't plan on seeing it. There is nothing about it that I find interesting or makes me want to see it.

People go to movies to be entertained. I think many people tend to get annoyed when certain types (mostly those with empty lives who think their intellects are far superior to what they actually are) start preaching about the great social significance of some movie. It detracts from the simple and pure enjoyment of it. I didn't go see Black Panther to get some kind of epiphany about ancient Black societies or whatever bull$#@! the Social Justice Warriors are claiming it is about. I went to see it to watch $#@! blow up and see people do stuff we all know is impossible but think is really cool anyway.

That is why most people go to see movies like that.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-29-2019)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post

I think it's the perfect storm of both; mostly a reaction to changes in a film genre that certain types of fans have gotten used to "owning" and now feel they no longer have exclusive "ownership" of anymore.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (04-29-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I think it's the perfect storm of both; mostly a reaction to changes in a film genre that certain types of fans have gotten used to "owning" and now feel they no longer have exclusive "ownership" of anymore.
    Kind of like the way some folks were so intensely butt-hurt when they "lost" the institution of civil marriage?

+ Reply to Thread