Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I just thought I would bring this question here, just in case someone might know an answer. So I bought this old truck for yard work. It was running like a champ. My nephew came over to visit, he is a proud new mechanic btw, LoL. He was like cool truck can I check it out. He dinked around with it a bit and started it up. When he turned the truck off, he didnt turn the key all the way off. It drained the battery, not completely but enough that it wouldnt start.

I charged it, and it started up. I was able to drive to drop off a load of branches to the wood recycling place, and back. I thought well problem solved. But the next time I went to start it, no go. Same story on repeat.

So basically the battery wont hold a charge now. Yesterday I charged it in the morning, but didn't drive it. I tried to start it again later that evening and it was dead again. I am wondering if anyone might know something?

I know that it is possible that the battery was damaged and wont hold a charge, or it could be that maybe there was too much stress on the alternator and it is not charging. But the thing is when I start it after jumping the gauge indicates that it is charging fine. I guess my next step would be to go get the battery tested, and then the alternator.

But I thought one of you might know something that I am missing in my little mystery.
    If your battery was dead, it takes quite a while to charge it up again. You have to run the engine for at the very least 30 mins, but even then you're not fully charging the battery. So if you jumped, just took it for a quick drive and turned it off, I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't start the next day.

The battery might be shot, but it could be you just didn't run it long enough. But you'd probably be wise just to get a new battery for peace of mind.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-09-2019)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,459x in 13,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought I would bring this question here, just in case someone might know an answer. So I bought this old truck for yard work. It was running like a champ. My nephew came over to visit, he is a proud new mechanic btw, LoL. He was like cool truck can I check it out. He dinked around with it a bit and started it up. When he turned the truck off, he didnt turn the key all the way off. It drained the battery, not completely but enough that it wouldnt start.

I charged it, and it started up. I was able to drive to drop off a load of branches to the wood recycling place, and back. I thought well problem solved. But the next time I went to start it, no go. Same story on repeat.

So basically the battery wont hold a charge now. Yesterday I charged it in the morning, but didn't drive it. I tried to start it again later that evening and it was dead again. I am wondering if anyone might know something?

I know that it is possible that the battery was damaged and wont hold a charge, or it could be that maybe there was too much stress on the alternator and it is not charging. But the thing is when I start it after jumping the gauge indicates that it is charging fine. I guess my next step would be to go get the battery tested, and then the alternator.

But I thought one of you might know something that I am missing in my little mystery.
    Like others have said, likely the battery. Auto parts stores around here will test your battery and alternator for free.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Batteries are not expensive and they will check your alternator when they install it for you.
    The battery for my truck is like 150, I think it is expensive. Especially since I had to buy the battery charger that was almost 100 bucks. In the end if it is just my battery, my nephew taking a peek at my truck will have cost me 250.00. I think that is expensive.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    If your battery was dead, it takes quite a while to charge it up again. You have to run the engine for at the very least 30 mins, but even then you're not fully charging the battery. So if you jumped, just took it for a quick drive and turned it off, I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't start the next day.

The battery might be shot, but it could be you just didn't run it long enough. But you'd probably be wise just to get a new battery for peace of mind.
    Oh I didn't know that. I can try leaving the charger on for the full duration. I just charged it for like 40 mins and then put it on start mode and turned it on. I probably didn't drive it longer than the 30 mins. I thought it would have charged during that drive. I will try that. Thank you for the advice. If that don't work, I will replace the battery like you said.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The battery for my truck is like 150, I think it is expensive. Especially since I had to buy the battery charger that was almost 100 bucks. In the end if it is just my battery, my nephew taking a peek at my truck will have cost me 250.00. I think that is expensive.
    You should have multiple options for a battery. I bought one that cost me 180 or so but that was the best one they had. I could have gone for a less expensive one. The battery charger is a good thing to have on hand and will last longer than an old truck. I should get one too. It's very handy.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that kills a battery is if it sits without being charged frequently. You may not know how long the truck sat before being sold. Just a few months without being charged regularly is enough to kill the battery. Also sometimes some electrical parts of a vehicle don't turn off when they are supposed to - that can also kill a battery. Buy a new one and if it discharges too fast, you need to find the electrical drain.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When a battery goes it goes. They have a limited life. Mine died this January. Charging it from a friend's car got me home that day but the bottom line was I needed a new battery.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Another thing that kills a battery is if it sits without being charged frequently. You may not know how long the truck sat before being sold. Just a few months without being charged regularly is enough to kill the battery. Also sometimes some electrical parts of a vehicle don't turn off when they are supposed to - that can also kill a battery. Buy a new one and if it discharges too fast, you need to find the electrical drain.
    Especially if it sat that way all Winter.

~Alain de Benoist

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-09-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice. Yeah maybe that is it. Maybe it is older and that incident was the last straw for the battery. I will definitely get it checked. Here is something else I was wondering. If it was the alternator, and I do get a new battery and put it in. Could the new battery get ruined? I know most likely it is just the battery. But they are a bit expensive. I guess I was a little scared of that. But maybe I am wrong.
    One quick check you could do is, with the engine running, disconnect the battery, if the engine shuts down, you may have a faulty alternator.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-09-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-09-2019),Peter1469 (05-10-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    You should have multiple options for a battery. I bought one that cost me 180 or so but that was the best one they had. I could have gone for a less expensive one. The battery charger is a good thing to have on hand and will last longer than an old truck. I should get one too. It's very handy.
    So true the battery charger is a good thing to have. But it is really hard to pry the dollars out of my hand though. LoL

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Mister D (05-09-2019)

+ Reply to Thread