Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I charged it, and it started up. I was able to drive to drop off a load of branches to the wood recycling place, and back.
    I live on two acres of woods that need a lot of upkeep. This winter was hard on the woods too. I have so many trees to tend to.
    It occurs to me that if you didn't take branches to a wood recycler, then you wouldn't need a truck and would possibly have avoided the issue with the battery and whatever those costs will be.
    Sawdust from cutting and small wood chips from chopping can be strewn throughout your property, and branches decompose quickly, probably within the growing season or two. One benefit from this is the promotion of growth of edible mushrooms. They love rotting wood chips and branches.

Are you required by law to take trimmings and branches to a wood recycler?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    It occurs to me that if you didn't take branches to a wood recycler, then you wouldn't need a truck and would possibly have avoided the issue with the battery and whatever those costs will be.
    Sawdust from cutting and small wood chips from chopping can be strewn throughout your property, and branches decompose quickly, probably within the growing season or two. One benefit from this is the promotion of growth of edible mushrooms. They love rotting wood chips and branches.

Are you required by law to take trimmings and branches to a wood recycler?
    All of what you said is true. And yes I could just leave the property as is and could have saved some money. But I never consider it a loss when buying a vehicle. I can always sell it later, if I decide to, and get most or all of my money back. For now I feel it is a necessary tool.

I do have a smaller wood chipper. I love the idea of putting wood chips on my walking trails, which I have done extensively. But really two acres is a lot of trees. That wood chipper is not sufficient. I don't want to spend the money, on a better chipper, they cost a lot. I have made walking trails throughout my property and like to keep the branches off them. And often trees and bushes need trimmed. There is no law that says I have to do it. I just like to try and keep it cleaned up. I have tried burning the branches but it takes forever and is a lot of work. It is much easier to just fill up the back of the truck and take it to be shredded. I am pretty injured too, so I have to try and do what ever I can the easiest way possible.

Also when I pick up the cluttered fallen branches it allows more ferns to grow.

But everything you said is true though and I do agree.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-10-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just thought I would bring this question here, just in case someone might know an answer. So I bought this old truck for yard work. It was running like a champ. My nephew came over to visit, he is a proud new mechanic btw, LoL. He was like cool truck can I check it out. He dinked around with it a bit and started it up. When he turned the truck off, he didnt turn the key all the way off. It drained the battery, not completely but enough that it wouldnt start.

I charged it, and it started up. I was able to drive to drop off a load of branches to the wood recycling place, and back. I thought well problem solved. But the next time I went to start it, no go. Same story on repeat.

So basically the battery wont hold a charge now. Yesterday I charged it in the morning, but didn't drive it. I tried to start it again later that evening and it was dead again. I am wondering if anyone might know something?

I know that it is possible that the battery was damaged and wont hold a charge, or it could be that maybe there was too much stress on the alternator and it is not charging. But the thing is when I start it after jumping the gauge indicates that it is charging fine. I guess my next step would be to go get the battery tested, and then the alternator.

But I thought one of you might know something that I am missing in my little mystery.
    You probably have one or more dead cells. Batteries need to be replaced every five years or so

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-10-2019)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The battery for my truck is like 150, I think it is expensive. Especially since I had to buy the battery charger that was almost 100 bucks. In the end if it is just my battery, my nephew taking a peek at my truck will have cost me 250.00. I think that is expensive.
    The batteries for my boat cost about $800.00 to $1,000.00 apiece if I but them new. I have two. I go to budget batteries and buy a remanufactured one every three or four years. They cost less than $200.00 each and last just as long.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Batteries don't last forever - 3-5 years is the average. After that they won't hold a charge. However, if the battery is newer, then corrosion is a likely culprit. If your battery posts are green, you need to clean them.
    A carbonated beverage and stiff brush will clean off battery terminals.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-10-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-10-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/Lithiu...ack-62749.html

That is the best thing I have ever purchased to have in my vehicle. I have one in my truck and my wife's car. It holds a charge for a good while also.
    I should probably get one.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of what you said is true. And yes I could just leave the property as is and could have saved some money. But I never consider it a loss when buying a vehicle. I can always sell it later, if I decide to, and get most or all of my money back. For now I feel it is a necessary tool.

I do have a smaller wood chipper. I love the idea of putting wood chips on my walking trails, which I have done extensively. But really two acres is a lot of trees. That wood chipper is not sufficient. I don't want to spend the money, on a better chipper, they cost a lot. I have made walking trails throughout my property and like to keep the branches off them. And often trees and bushes need trimmed. There is no law that says I have to do it. I just like to try and keep it cleaned up. I have tried burning the branches but it takes forever and is a lot of work. It is much easier to just fill up the back of the truck and take it to be shredded. I am pretty injured too, so I have to try and do what ever I can the easiest way possible.

Also when I pick up the cluttered fallen branches it allows more ferns to grow.

But everything you said is true though and I do agree.
    You might also consider selling a few of your trees for lumber. That would open up the area and greatly reduce your property maintenance. Of course, not all trees are suitable for lumber, so you'd have to consult someone in that business about it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    You might also consider selling a few of your trees for lumber. That would open up the area and greatly reduce your property maintenance. Of course, not all trees are suitable for lumber, so you'd have to consult someone in that business about it.
    I don't think I could ever cut the trees down. I will cut small ones down here and there if I really have to. But I really like the trees a lot. I think once I finally get it cleaned up properly it should be easier to maintain in the future. I took out a whole little hill of blackberries, they are amazing of course but they block the view through the trees. Removing them really opened things up and now I can see through the trees. The deer seem to like it as well. After clearing that spot the deer were out laying in the dirt taking a nap. But if I was my dad though he would have leveled this place, my dad is the tree assassin. LoL.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-10-2019)

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a new battery. Same problem as you, wouldn't hold a charge. Battery had a shorted out cell. An aside: Here we are libs and cons trying to be helpful to one another. No rudeness, no name calling, just respectfully communicating. Why we can't do this while posting political opinions escapes me. I am as guilty as the next guy...
    Last edited by AZ Jim; 05-10-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ Jim For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-10-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-10-2019),Peter1469 (05-10-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Just bought a new battery. Same problem as you, wouldn't hold a charge. Battery had a shorted out cell. An aside: Here we are libs and cons trying to be helpful to one another. No rudeness, no name calling, just respectfully communicating. Why we can't do this while posting political opinions escapes me. I am as guilty as the next guy...
    It seems like it was battery season. As per your (aside) I was thinking the same thing. It was so nice that I refrained from starting any threads today.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-10-2019),Peter1469 (05-10-2019)

+ Reply to Thread