User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prehistoric Medicine: How Archaic Humans Cured Themselves

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,908x in 54,723 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Prehistoric Medicine: How Archaic Humans Cured Themselves

Once again science demonstrates primitive peoples weren't so primitive.

Prehistoric Medicine: How Archaic Humans Cured Themselves

...In the late 1800s, French physician Ernest Duchesne observed Arab stable boys treating sores with mold growing on saddles. Duchesne took a sample of the fungus, identified it as Penicillium and used it to cure guinea pigs infected with typhoid. Earlier still, texts from ancient civilizations, including Rome, Egypt and China, discussed the healing powers of moldy bread applied to diseased skin.

And prior to written history, there’s reason to believe human ancestors took advantage of many medicinal fungi, plants and other natural agents. The use of natural remedies probably extends back millions of years — long before modern scientists understood the biochemical basis of these medicines.

...One reason to assume early human ancestors used natural substances: The behavior has been documented in many species, from caterpillars to sheep. Animals suffering from a parasite or other malady will deliberately consume substances that are medicinal, but have little or no nutritional value. The substances may even be avoided by healthy individuals and harmful in excess. Yet in small doses, they eliminate or prevent disease.

...In addition to assuming early humans self-medicated because many animals do, researchers have found natural remedies preserved at archaeological sites. Though we cannot know if the substances were deliberately administered for health, their abundance in association with human fossils and artifacts suggests this was the case.

In a 2019 Evolutionary Anthropology paper, archaeologist Karen Hardy analyzed plant species recovered from seven archaeological sites in the Near East, dating between about 8,000 and 790,000 years ago. During this span the region was occupied by Homo sapiens, Neanderthals and earlier forms of human ancestors. Of the 212 plant species identified, around 60 percent were medicinal and edible; they could have been used for food, medicine or both. Another 15 percent were non-edible, but may also have had curative properties in small doses.

In earlier work....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-11-2019),Common Sense (05-11-2019),nathanbforrest45 (05-11-2019),Trumpster (05-14-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here all the time I thought it was because they had Grokcare!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-11-2019),MisterVeritis (05-11-2019)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about garlic? Garlic is a natural antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral agent that was used by my ancestors in Europe. When my cousin completed a family tree, he found a relative of ours who was born in 1850 and died in 1956. Back then, from what I understand, people in that region survived by eating fruits and vegetables from their own gardens. Imagine that. Note: I use a little garlic in my cooking every day.

My ancestors didn't come from Egypt but I remember that garlic was prized in ancient Egypt. https://www.bing.com/search?q=Garlic...AB852438846365
    Last edited by Trumpster; 05-14-2019 at 03:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread