Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It's the lying that's the issue. People can't make an educated decision to use the product nor are they liable to take precautions. It's very much like asbestos which scientists knew was a health hazard but companies continued to use it and not protect their workers for years after they were warned. It's pretty evil because I think they view it as the cost of doing business with no care about the human suffering and death they cause and they have tended to rely on the fact that pursuing these kinds of lawsuits is incredibly expensive, which sick people can't usually afford.
    That is so true. Kind of like smoking. We all know it can kill. But at least people can choose to start or not. Quitting is another story. Even if someone wants to quit they often can't. But that is another story. The point is if we are going to do something that could kill us like skydiving. It should be our own choice not forced on us. We should not be lied to when they know their products kill. Not just one of them but so many of them.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-14-2019),Dr. Who (05-13-2019)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 3,117
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by testsubjectalpha View Post
    And there are 6 billion hungry people on this planet every day. I'm just not going to weigh in on this one. I don't know what the right answer is when it comes to the balance between bugs and humans.
    Honesty is never the wrong answer and an educated consumer is never the wrong answer. There is a place for herbicides but their health risks shouldn't be hidden. There is also a place for the kind of farming techniques that naturally offend the bugs by making the crops smell bad to them. People should have a choice based on a real understanding of using those chemicals.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 705
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    testsubjectalpha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,956x in 6,792 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a tough issue man. There are 6 billion hungry mouths to feed everyday. While I can sit here and trash Monsanto, there are still 6 billion hungry people wanting to eat everyday. I don't know the right answer on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    That is so true. Kind of like smoking. We all know it can kill. But at least people can choose to start or not. Quitting is another story. Even if someone wants to quit they often can't. But that is another story. The point is if we are going to do something that could kill us like skydiving. It should be our own choice not forced on us. We should not be lied to when they know their products kill. Not just one of them but so many of them.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,737x in 55,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I consider them the cancer company. They have done much more harm than good. https://www.collective-evolution.com...e-by-monsanto/ Not only that for the longest time they wouldn't even label their food, so that we were forced to eat their products whether we wanted to or not. But that has changed but not due to them, due to consumer demand. Thankfully Organics have taken over the market and are labeled. We now know anything that is not labeled, just don't eat it.
    I consider them a company which has benefitted all of us whether you like them or not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is really sad is that people are dying because of the desire for weed free lawns. Lawns are just such unnatural things - living carpets, that need a ridiculous amount of maintenance and water to remain pristine. A fashion imported from the nobility of Great Britain that isn't really all that popular anywhere other than in former British Colonies and planted in places that don't have climates remotely like GB, where it drizzles for half the year at least.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude, what?

What is really sad is that people are dying because of the desire for weed free lawns. Lawns are just such unnatural things - living carpets, that need a ridiculous amount of maintenance and water to remain pristine. A fashion imported from the nobility of Great Britain that isn't really all that popular anywhere other than in former British Colonies and planted in places that don't have climates remotely like GB, where it drizzles for half the year at least.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude, what?
    Well, I'm not a dude, but whatever. I'm talking about all the landscapers and backyard warriors who have been using the product unsafely for years just for the sake of weed-free lawns. Now I am a fairly anti-lawn person. I would rather see perennial plants that need far less maintenance (and water) and look far more interesting along with environmentally friendly hardscaping unless you literally have a back 40 covered in natural grasses and whatever else grows in between which has to be mowed down periodically to inhibit the mosquitoes.

Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-13-2019),Peter1469 (05-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got that miss green eyes. But homeowners are not farmers attempting to feed 6 billion people everyday.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to testsubjectalpha For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-14-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true, kind of like the people who have lawns in Arizona. In some climates it is a great misuse of the resources. But I think it has to do with people feeling the need to fit in. I know that sounds crazy. But really that is a huge part of it.

M
    y dad is one of those roundup people. The crazy thing is that it never even kills his weeds. It only kills the grass, Lol. But, that does not stop him from hosing things down with it. A torch works better, seriously.

You are so right, it seems senseless to die for something so unimportant.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-14-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got that miss green eyes. But homeowners are not farmers attempting to feed 6 billion people everyday.
    It has been proven that people who use Monsanto don't produce more than those who don't. This is the reason that farmers in India are killing themselves in droves.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-14-2019)

+ Reply to Thread