Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kimchi

So I have been wanting to try Kimchi for years. It is a fermented cabbage dish. It looks really good. They say it is really good for you and a natural probiotic, and tons of health benefits here is a link to the pro's and con's. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...of-kimchi.html It is a Korean staple dish.

I finally decided to make a batch. I made it yesterday, it has to ferment for two days. I am excited to try it. I don't know if it will be gross, or great! It is an experiment. It was tough to make. I kind of had to wing it. There are so many different recipes. So I just looked at several and watched several videos and kind of met in the middle. Here is a link to a simple recipe. I didn't use the fish sauce. https://www.hungrygopher.com/simple-...4608;치/

1a1a11a1afgjdflgjksdfl.jpg

Here was a really simple recipe

Here is one that is a little more complicated

We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (05-16-2019)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,396x in 15,966 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like Kimchi. Its not an acquired taste. Its something you will know how you feel about it the first time you try it.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-13-2019),Peter1469 (05-16-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I like Kimchi. Its not an acquired taste. Its something you will know how you feel about it the first time you try it.
    I tasted the batch that I made fresh. I thought it was pretty good. But I imagine it will taste different once it ferments. I am very interested in trying it. It was not spicy enough though. I have always heard the Korean people talk about how spicy it was. I like that. So I put double the amount of pepper flakes but it was still not hot enough. I may refine it to my own style and put some habaneros in there.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (05-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well making the kimchi was a fun experiment. It finished fermenting today, and I got to taste it. It was nothing like I imagined it would be. I thought it would have a warm flavor because of the look of it. But instead it tasted more like a spicy pickle. I am not sure how else to describe it. I mean it was flavorful, but a bit sour. I didnt try it with food though. I just tasted it straigt. That might make a difference. I am still trying to figure what kind of food it would be good with, the Koreans eat it with rice. That might be good. So it is not gross, it is just not what I expected.

I really was interested in it as a probiotic. The probiotics that they sell in the store are proprietary blends. But if you eat the probiotics in their natural form such as fermented food, it is much safer. People have been eating them for a very long time.

Word of caution if anyone else attempts to make this recipe. The odor is potent. I cannot stress that enough. I did not use the fish sauce and it was potent. I cant even imagine if I had used the fish sauce. Beware by day two of fermentation you may end up single or divorced, LoL. My suggestion is make it in your kitchen and if you have a garage or a shop with a shop fridge. Then once you make it in your kitchen transfer it to the shop or garage to ferment. Once it reaches the desired fermentation then put it in the shop fridge. I think I will buy a mini fridge to put mine in.

I am going to roll with it. I will eat it over the next few days and see how I do with it. But honestly my old man must really love me. We were going to taste test it together, but when I opened the container, he gasped, and said I don't think I can taste it, I think I will vomit. I had to open the windows to air out the house. Once I taste tested it I couldn't really smell it in the house anymore, only he could. LoL.

I will have to figure a way of making this in a non offensive manner. I think in Korea they ferment it outdoors in clay jars. They also have special kimchi refrigerators for storing it. I guess they do that for a reason.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-03-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok the adventure with kimchi is getting better. So I refrigerated it last night, the main fermentation is done. Now it will slowly ferment some more in the fridge. It didnt really smell the fridge up.

I gave it a taste test today and it was different than yesterday, it was much less sour. I also ate it with food. The smell calmed down so much that even the old man tasted it and liked it. Today it tasted much better. Normally I can' eat eggs without taking a probiotic because my stomach will hurt otherwise. But I ate it with the egg today and it was pretty darn good. Hopefully I wont have to take a probiotic pill ever again.

Since every recipe online was different I just went with something inbetween. I will share the recipe I settled with.

2 very small nappa cabages since that is all they had at my store it probably equaled one large nappa cabbage.
    1 bag on the korean chili flakes, it has to be that certain kind called Gochugaru https://www.amazon.com/Tae-kyung-Kor...s%2C202&sr=8-3
    About a large carrots worth of Daikon radish
    1 large carrot fine sliced
    8 green onions
    1 asian pear, you can use any pear
    2 tbsps ginger
    Himalayan sea salt for brining
    1 1/4 tbsp of himalayan salt for the sauce
    1 1/4 cup of water for starch mixture
    3tbsp of rice flour for starch mixture
    2 tbsps of sugar in starch mixture.

First cut up cabbage as in vids. Put in a very large stock pot or large plastic container, and pour cold water over it. Then dump the water out. Just for a good rinse. Be gentle with the cabbage. Put it back in the basin in layers and salt those layers with the sea salt, you just sprinkle it on with your hands lightly. Once you salted all layers gently toss it. Let it sit for 1/2 hour then toss gently again. Do this every 1/2 hour it takes about 1 hour and 40 mins or so to brine properly. Vid number one explains how you will know when it is brined properly.

Then once brined, fill basin with water and move the cabbage around gently and then dump the water. This is to rinse off the salt and clean the cabbage well. Do this rinsing process three times.

While your cabbage is brining you can make the sauces and cut the vegetables.

Slice the vegetables as in the vids, carrot, daikon, green onion. Put them in a bowl.

In a sauce pan boil 1 1/4 cup of water with three tbsp of rice flower boil it, then reduce heat to simmer, then add some sugar what ever amount you like. I did 2 tbsp. Cook for a bit more. Remove from heat let cool completely. Remember to stir well this should cook just like gravy.

In the food processor I added 10 garlic cloves, 2tbsp ginger, 1/2 of Asian pear, 1/4 of an onion, 1 1/4 tbsp pink salt, blended to pure. Put in a bowl, and then added 1 1/4 cup of the Korean red pepper flakes. I then added the cooled starch mixture, and stirred it all together. (others add fish sauce, and some people replace fish sauce with soy sauce for the umami. I did neither, if you do use soy sauce use less salt.)

Put the brined cabbage in with the vegetables and add the sauce mixture and toss it with your hands with gloves on, so your hands don't burn or get stained. Toss till everything is well covered. Put it in a container of your choosing, many use a one gallon glass jar with lid. I just used a plastic container. What ever you use don't fill past 80% full because kimchi is alive and it needs room to grow. Once in container press it down to remove all of the air and to submerge it below the liquid as best as you can.

Then you put the lid on you can put it on loosely if you want to, I didn't. Leave out on the counter for two days, then refrigerate. They say that you should Press it down once per day to remove all of the air and submerge the cabbage below the liquid.

That is it. I have seen some say it can last several weeks up to several months in the fridge. Oh and like I said if you ferment it in the garage or shop you can skip any unpleasantness, or even put it in an empty ice chest on the porch and close the lid or a large plastic bin so nothing can bother it. Just an idea. One more thing the daikon and carrot were so good in this next time I will add more. They are important to the flavor.

For further information here is a link about possible B12 in Kimchi, it is interesting. http://jacknorrisrd.com/b12-in-ferme...-centenarians/
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 05-15-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve actually never tried it. I’m not an unadventurous eater, but I am naive about Korean. I’m good with sauerkraut for those health benefits, though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    I’ve actually never tried it. I’m not an unadventurous eater, but I am naive about Korean. I’m good with sauerkraut for those health benefits, though.
    I am not adventurous either. I just wanted to try it for the health benefits, and it looked so good to me too. I have been wanting to try it for some time. Sauerkraut is very similar and has similar health benefits. If you do like
    Sauerkraut then you would most likely, like the kimchi provided you like spicy stuff too. But sauerkraut is very good for you as well.
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 05-16-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I am not adventurous either. I just wanted to try it for the health benefits, and it looked so good to me too. I have been wanting to try it for some time. Sauerkraut is very similar and has similar health benefits. If you do like
    Sauerkraut
    then you would most likely, like the kimchi provided you like spicy stuff too. But sauerkraut is very good for you as well.
    I love spicy food. I live in Houston. I shouldnt have any problem finding a good Korean restaurant. If I commit to the drive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-16-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    I love spicy food. I live in Houston. I shouldnt have any problem finding a good Korean restaurant. If I commit to the drive.
    That would be fun I guess they have really good food. I watch Korean dramas and they are always eating food in their shows, and it always looks so amazing.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,120x in 94,142 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is good and good for you. But if you eat it all the time it will change your body odor.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-17-2019)

+ Reply to Thread