Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Ultimately, that determination is the mother's -- or if I had my way, the parents'. Her morality is no one else's business, and society is not impacted by her decision except that they insist on meddling in all things that have nothing to do with them, only then making it to do with them.
    So you are arguing that the Morality of murder is best defined by the murderer, it's nobody else's business, not even the victim.
    Last edited by Sergeant Gleed; 05-14-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant Gleed For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-14-2019)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimately, that determination is the mother's -- or if I had my way, the parents'. Her morality is no one else's business, and society is not impacted by her decision except that they insist on meddling in all things that have nothing to do with them, only then making it to do with them.
    You argue for legalized murder. I do not.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-15-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do make that case to the other 90% of the civilized world and 100% of the third world. Put your drive to meddle, control and make other men in your image to good use in, say, Nigeria or Somalia -- somewhere where they don't give a $#@! about your -- or anyone else's -- philosophy.

The father is half responsible, or so I read once. But screw it. Just give her a coat hanger and send her on her way.

About this issue especially, I do not care.
    If you didn't care you would not make an issue of it.

You are fine with legalized murder. You are no better than Polly.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I agree, personhood arguments are illogically subjective. We can see even you do not know how to objectively define when a living human being becomes/is a person. I'll stick to medical/biological definitions of life and when it begins at conception.

BTW, an artificial heart beats or the person is dead.
    My religion goes by when the first breath occurs, which makes a lot of sense medically/biologically. Respiratory depression, arrest or prolonged apnea ultimately stops life or can lead to brain death. The heart, while neat, requires respiration. The body requires oxygen and CO2. It's really more essential than the actual organs. Nothing on earth would really be living without the process or a similar process. This seems like a much cleaner way of determining life, and I think the Jewish people were onto something when they/we came up with that gem.

It is an interesting perspective, at any rate. Might be interesting to hear arguments about what the law or legal "rights" should be if a child is considered part of the mother until the first breath. If a mother is basically acting as nature's life support, which she is, does that impact her options or rights?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-17-2019),IMPress Polly (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,893x in 54,711 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    My religion goes by when the first breath occurs, which makes a lot of sense medically/biologically. Respiratory depression, arrest or prolonged apnea ultimately stops life or can lead to brain death. The heart, while neat, requires respiration. The body requires oxygen and CO2. It's really more essential than the actual organs. Nothing on earth would really be living without the process or a similar process. This seems like a much cleaner way of determining life, and I think the Jewish people were onto something when they/we came up with that gem.

It is an interesting perspective, at any rate. Might be interesting to hear arguments about what the law or legal "rights" should be if a child is considered part of the mother until the first breath. If a mother is basically acting as nature's life support, which she is, does that impact her options or rights?

Isn't that ensoulment? The Greeks believed it happened at 40 days after conception (Aristotle) and the early Catholic Church followed that, though now I think it happens at conception.*

My argument is purely biological, at least as far as when the life of a unique living being begins.

*https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...025-4/fulltext
    *https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...1869-1.1449517
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-14-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You argue for legalized murder. I do not.
    No, I argue for allowing others make their own choices. It's a stretch, IMO, to call abortion murder until such time as a the fetus is able to tell you how $#@!ing sick and tired this $#@!ing issue has grown. Yet one can't get out of the swamp because both sides want to impose their own sins on everyone else as a matter of accepted morality and behavior when neither are right. It isn't going to stop, so you can probably kiss your soul goodbye because at some point you're going to have to impose one or the other will on everyone else.

My position is that it's none of my business, it's hers -- or rather, it's hers and her mates. But hey, we won't bring dad into this, eh?
    Last edited by Lummy; 05-14-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it does. Killing a baby is nor rational or moral. There is no justification other than "I want to."

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I argue for allowing others make their own choices. It's a stretch, IMO, to call abortion murder until such time as a the fetus is able to tell you how $#@!ing sick and tired this $#@!ing issue has grown. Yet one can't get out of the swamp because both sides want to impose their own sins on everyone else as a matter of accepted morality and behavior when neither are right. It isn't going to stop, so you can probably kiss your soul goodbye because at some point you're going to have to impose one or the other will on everyone else.

My position is that it's none of my business, it's hers -- or rather, it's hers and her mates. But hey, we won't bring dad into this, eh?
    It is murder and you support it. You can come up with argument but the fact is that you support legalized murder.It is a biological fact. The baby doesn't have the same DNA as the mother, Everything else about her does, including cancer.

Morals are not changed to fit convenience. Your post is cartoon =like.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,774
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,450x in 13,505 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Several state legislatures are taking it upon themselves to define "personhood" as something that begins at one's first heartbeat, i.e. which is defined by the presence of a natural heartbeat. Okay well what about children, or any other people, with artificial hearts? I guess they're...not people then...right?

You see, people, personhood is so much more than just having a heartbeat, human DNA, or "potential". (Any egg cell or sperm has the "potential" to become a person, but that obviously doesn't mean it deserves legal rights, and we can all recognize that much.) Everything of value to human beings -- from our ability to perceive the world around us to our ability to form relationships -- is made possible by birth. Without these sorts of capacities, our's is but a shell of a life in comparison; a life only in a technical sense, not in a recognizable one.
    I'm really not understanding what your complaint is, other than, "how dare anyone try and impede our right to rip live children from the womb and slaughter them".

Soooo, do you think there should be any restrictions whatsoever on abortion? Full term? Make the baby comfortable, and have a conversation? What?
    Cutesy Time is OVER

14. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,774
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,450x in 13,505 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're good right up to the moment of birth?
    Cutesy Time is OVER

+ Reply to Thread