User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Amaranth

  1. #11
    Points: 27,397, Level: 40
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    20771
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,453
    Points
    27,397
    Level
    40
    Thanks Given
    4,268
    Thanked 2,735x in 1,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Yeah, going vegan only works if you don't have genetic impediments that will cause you to die from an inability to process the good veggies properly. It's the same kind of problem that the Inuit (Eskimo etc) people have with eating most vegetables and carbs. Their DNA isn't adapted to it, so it makes them unhealthy. On the other hand they are just fine eating raw seal meat and raw fish.
    I was in supreme health when I ate all vegan though. I just happened to have a few bad episodes that made me sick. First was Hanford, but that made my whole family sick meat eaters and all. Then the pharmaceutical that was the worst. But as far as health I was well nourished, and had great blood pressure and cholesterol. It was hard on the stomach though. But I was ok with that. It does make sense though. I hadn't heard of people not being able to eat the vegan way because of genetics. But it does make sense. But after getting sick from the pharmaceutical I couldn't eat properly anymore, and I lost quite a bit of weight during that time that I was on the medication. I couldn't hold food down. I had no idea I was being poisoned.

    Like I watched a documentary once that talked about people whos grandparents went through the dust bowl or the depression and experienced some kind of famine, that even though the great grandchild hadn't gone through it those genes were passed onto them as though they had. It had something to do with the epigenetics of how the genes expressed themselves and remembered the starvation, and their bodies were more likely to store fats. It was pretty interesting the stuff you said makes me remember that.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (05-15-2019),Trumpster (05-25-2019)

  3. #12
    Points: 123,196, Level: 85
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 2,854
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    861246
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    50,666
    Points
    123,196
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    3,771
    Thanked 3,506x in 2,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I was in supreme health when I ate all vegan though. I just happened to have a few bad episodes that made me sick. First was Hanford, but that made my whole family sick meat eaters and all. Then the pharmaceutical that was the worst. But as far as health I was well nourished, and had great blood pressure and cholesterol. It was hard on the stomach though. But I was ok with that. It does make sense though. I hadn't heard of people not being able to eat the vegan way because of genetics. But it does make sense. But after getting sick from the pharmaceutical I couldn't eat properly anymore, and I lost quite a bit of weight during that time that I was on the medication. I couldn't hold food down. I had no idea I was being poisoned.

    Like I watched a documentary once that talked about people whos grandparents went through the dust bowl or the depression and experienced some kind of famine, that even though the great grandchild hadn't gone through it those genes were passed onto them as though they had. It had something to do with the epigenetics of how the genes expressed themselves and remembered the starvation, and their bodies were more likely to store fats. It was pretty interesting the stuff you said makes me remember that.
    Genetics have a lot to do with how our stomachs process food and as we age, our stomachs get less efficient, so where at one point you were having tummy upsets but still absorbing the nutrition that you needed, it was OK, but as that efficiency derived from a bit of stray DNA that allowed you to cope declined, you got sick. An interesting investigation would be to determine where most of your particular DNA hails from and the historical diets of those people.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #13
    Points: 3,571, Level: 14
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    327
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    673
    Points
    3,571
    Level
    14
    Thanks Given
    836
    Thanked 317x in 227 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I was in supreme health when I ate all vegan though. I just happened to have a few bad episodes that made me sick. First was Hanford, but that made my whole family sick meat eaters and all. Then the pharmaceutical that was the worst. But as far as health I was well nourished, and had great blood pressure and cholesterol. It was hard on the stomach though. But I was ok with that. It does make sense though. I hadn't heard of people not being able to eat the vegan way because of genetics. But it does make sense. But after getting sick from the pharmaceutical I couldn't eat properly anymore, and I lost quite a bit of weight during that time that I was on the medication. I couldn't hold food down. I had no idea I was being poisoned.

    Like I watched a documentary once that talked about people whos grandparents went through the dust bowl or the depression and experienced some kind of famine, that even though the great grandchild hadn't gone through it those genes were passed onto them as though they had. It had something to do with the epigenetics of how the genes expressed themselves and remembered the starvation, and their bodies were more likely to store fats. It was pretty interesting the stuff you said makes me remember that.
    Yes, epigenetics. Same DNA but expressed differently. It's called DNA methylation:........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_methylation

    Perhaps it's the reason I like being on a vegan diet: Before coming to the U.S., my parents and grandparents survived by eating vegetables from their garden. That was their way of life in the small town where they lived. They didn't suffer any hardship that I know of. They just didn't have dairy products and only had chicken a couple times a year. Every family had a few chickens so they did have a few eggs. I can't be sure that it's the result of methylation but I do like the vegan way of life.

  5. #14
    Original Ranter
    Points: 519,491, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    424912
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    156,334
    Points
    519,491
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    91,510
    Thanked 75,888x in 51,348 Posts
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vast majority of vegans are weak and / or sickly.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  6. #15
    Points: 3,571, Level: 14
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    327
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    673
    Points
    3,571
    Level
    14
    Thanks Given
    836
    Thanked 317x in 227 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About Amaranth: I started eating Amaranth some years ago. At first I ate it rarely, like once a month; I would keep it in the freezer. But lately I've been eating it about 5 times a week because I'm experimenting with a gluten-free diet. I enjoy it a lot. I measure a quarter cup dry and cook it in 3/4 cup of water for 25 minutes. After I give it time to cool down, I mix in a small amount of chopped nuts and give it a light sprinkling of salt. I can also eat it plain or with a teaspoon of olive oil instead of nuts.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trumpster For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (05-25-2019),Peter1469 (05-25-2019)

  8. #16
    Points: 3,571, Level: 14
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    327
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    673
    Points
    3,571
    Level
    14
    Thanks Given
    836
    Thanked 317x in 227 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    The vast majority of vegans are weak and / or sickly.
    Well, that's an interesting subject. Do they become sick because of veganism or do they take up veganism because they are sick to begin with?

    I have to ask you because I don't have any vegan friends. I once went to a health club meeting but couldn't really tell who was on what diet.

    But now that you mention this about vegans, I think the same can be said of the vast majority of carnivores. Just think about it: The vast majority of Americans are carnivores and 2/3 of them are either overweight or obese which often leads to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, dementia, autoimmune disease and many other health issues.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 05-25-2019 at 01:27 PM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpster For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (05-25-2019)

  10. #17
    Original Ranter
    Points: 519,491, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    424912
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    156,334
    Points
    519,491
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    91,510
    Thanked 75,888x in 51,348 Posts
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Well, that's an interesting subject. Do they become sick because of veganism or do they take up veganism because they are sick to begin with?

    I have to ask you because I don't have any vegan friends. I once went to a health club meeting but couldn't really tell who was on what diet.

    But now that you mention this about vegans, I think the same can be said of the vast majority of carnivores. Just think about it: The vast majority of Americans are carnivores and 2/3 of them are either overweight or obese which often leads to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, dementia, autoimmune disease and many other health issues.
    Humans are omnivores. A few can be healthy eating a lot of meat; a few can be healthy eating only vegetables. But most of us need both.

    And factory farmed meat is not a healthy choice. Grass fed beef over corn fed. Free range chicken over caged fatties.

    But generally vegans must be careful to properly supplement. Otherwise they will be sickly and weak.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  11. #18
    Points: 3,571, Level: 14
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    327
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    673
    Points
    3,571
    Level
    14
    Thanks Given
    836
    Thanked 317x in 227 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Humans are omnivores.
    Oops. That's true.

    A few can be healthy eating a lot of meat; a few can be healthy eating only vegetables. But most of us need both.
    I agree to a limited extent because I ate a lot of meat until I was age 65 and my health was generally good. At one point I even tried the Paleo regimen and the "Eat for Your Blood Type" regimen (My blood is type O). They both recommended meat as the way to be healthy. And, for many years before that, I was practicing the Zone regimen. At the time, I didn't know it was a high protein regimen but was later informed of that by other authors.

    I believe I was healthy with all of those regimens, and my weight was always ideal, because I pretty much stayed away from highly processed foods. And this is in spite of the fact that I wasn't eating organic and wasn't eating grass fed meat and eggs.

    So why did I bother changing to veganism? You might remember that I told this story before. The reason is because I had family members who were also very healthy until they discovered they had cancer, and that includes everyone in my immediate family plus many aunts and uncles. As a result, I always did a lot of reading, searching for the cause. What was causing all the cancer when none of my grandparents ever had cancer?

    Then someone on another message board, who knew I was interested in health, asked me if I had read "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell PhD. It was a relatively new book and I agreed that I would read it, but was in no hurry to do so. When I finally got around to reading it, I was amazed at what I found. The bottom line is that animal protein promotes cancer. So I began changing my diet by the time I got to chapter 3 and was totally vegan within a month. Now, after being a vegan for about 13 years, I think my health is even better than it was before and I'm not 65 anymore, I'm 78. No cancer or any other health issues and I don't need to take medication which is kind of rare for someone my age. (The average 75 year old takes 3 or more medications every day.)

    And this is by no means the whole story. Animal protein can raise the risk for many other degenerative diseases.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 05-27-2019 at 10:06 AM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trumpster For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (05-28-2019),Orion Rules (05-29-2019),Peter1469 (05-27-2019)

  13. #19
    Original Ranter
    Points: 223,908, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    396179
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    89,630
    Points
    223,908
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    17,712
    Thanked 33,121x in 23,524 Posts
    Mentioned
    909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You ate a lot of meat for 65 years, maintained a healthy weight and were in generally good health? You attribute your continued good health to a sudden change at age 65? Do I understand you correctly?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  14. #20
    Original Ranter
    Points: 519,491, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    424912
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    156,334
    Points
    519,491
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    91,510
    Thanked 75,888x in 51,348 Posts
    Mentioned
    2210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Oops. That's true.



    I agree to a limited extent because I ate a lot of meat until I was age 65 and my health was generally good. At one point I even tried the Paleo regimen and the "Eat for Your Blood Type" regimen (My blood is type O). They both recommended meat as the way to be healthy. And, for many years before that, I was practicing the Zone regimen. At the time, I didn't know it was a high protein regimen but was later informed of that by other authors.

    I believe I was healthy with all of those regimens, and my weight was always ideal, because I pretty much stayed away from highly processed foods. And this is in spite of the fact that I wasn't eating organic and wasn't eating grass fed meat and eggs.

    So why did I bother changing to veganism? You might remember that I told this story before. The reason is because I had family members who were also very healthy until they discovered they had cancer, and that includes everyone in my immediate family plus many aunts and uncles. As a result, I always did a lot of reading, searching for the cause. What was causing all the cancer when none of my grandparents ever had cancer?

    Then someone on another message board, who knew I was interested in health, asked me if I had read "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell PhD. It was a relatively new book and I agreed that I would read it, but was in no hurry to do so. When I finally got around to reading it, I was amazed at what I found. The bottom line is that animal protein promotes cancer. So I began changing my diet by the time I got to chapter 3 and was totally vegan within a month. Now, after being a vegan for about 13 years, I think my health is even better than it was before and I'm not 65 anymore, I'm 78. No cancer or any other health issues and I don't need to take medication which is kind of rare for someone my age. (The average 75 year old takes 3 or more medications every day.)

    And this is by no means the whole story. Animal protein can raise the risk for many other degenerative diseases.
    It would be nice to see how you would have done with organic (grass fed) meat. The better Omega 3/6 ration might have be perfect for you. Too many Omega-6 promotes inflammation with promotes cancer.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO