Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Yeah, at 65 bad health choices, damage is already done.

Turning it around isn't a bad thing, I am thinking you can recover a little but if you've already knocked 20 years off your life smoking, drinking and eating cheeseburgers for 65 years, anything you do now is going to be marginal IMO but I wouldn't not recommend a life/health change at that point.
    I've known people who smoked like chimneys into their 80's. If you eat cheeseburgers, smoke and drink, then you are at least a young adult, say 16 anyway. So, 65 years of that would take you to 81, which isn't a bad run, and you enjoyed yourself.

Just sayin' ...

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Nor do I. I recently increased my intake and I'vee noticed a difference. Tendenitis is gone. Aches are rarer. I'm sorry I didn't do it before but I didn't realize that the protein needs of older athletes are significantly higher than a younger athletes. Mind you, less than half of my protein comes from meat. The rest is from dairy, whole grains and legumes.
    Right, same here sort of but I don't track it as well as you do.

So I had cashews, maybe a half cup of them on and off through the day. An apple, then some celery for lunch and I got cubed ham, maybe quarter cup.

I eat peanut butter too, single serving things they put out in the cafeteria, like one or two of them a day.

Then when I get home... hit or miss. I should eat something like, I made cheeseburgers the other day, I ate one (no bun, just in a bowl) and I'm good. Ground meat is what it is, I should be eating like a piece of chicken or real beef but it's hard to make that kind of dinner for kids.
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    I've known people who smoked like chimneys into their 80's. If you eat cheeseburgers, smoke and drink, then you are at least a young adult, say 16 anyway. So, 65 years of that would take you to 81, which isn't a bad run, and you enjoyed yourself.

Just sayin' ...
    Groovy

Start smoking two packs a day. Do humanity a favor.
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,581x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right, same here sort of but I don't track it as well as you do.

So I had cashews, maybe a half cup of them on and off through the day. An apple, then some celery for lunch and I got cubed ham, maybe quarter cup.

I eat peanut butter too, single serving things they put out in the cafeteria, like one or two of them a day.

Then when I get home... hit or miss. I should eat something like, I made cheeseburgers the other day, I ate one (no bun, just in a bowl) and I'm good. Ground meat is what it is, I should be eating like a piece of chicken or real beef but it's hard to make that kind of dinner for kids.
    I eat a lot of ground meat but it's high quality as far as hamburger goes. The kids don't like chicken? My mom made chicken a lot. Breast can be kind of bland so I get that.

I'm allergic to peanuts now but I wish I could get into cashews, almonds etc. I just don't like them that much. Very good for you.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I eat a lot of ground meat but it's high quality as far as hamburger goes. The kids don't like chicken? My mom made chicken a lot. Breast can be kind of bland so I get that.

I'm allergic to peanuts now but I wish I could get into cashews, almonds etc but I just don't like them that much. Very good for you.
    I made pie-less chicken pot pie the other day. Cooked almost 6lbs of chicken breasts in the instapot, just plain with like salt and pepper, shredded it since the instapot really makes meats well, tender. Dumped it into a dutch oven thingy and added frozen peas and carrots and jarred gravy. I did eat some but I'm not crazy about eating jarred gravy.

That went over well with the crew but I could have just eaten the shredded chicken out of the instapot.

I love nuts, I go through a lot of them. Mostly (unsalted everything) peanuts because they're readily available locally. I get cashews when I can find them, almonds, walnuts (but they're super expensive) and sunflower nuts which I can get locally. I really like sunflower nuts a lot.

I do raisins too but they give me awful gas lol
    my junk is ugly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-29-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I made pie-less chicken pot pie the other day. Cooked almost 6lbs of chicken breasts in the instapot, just plain with like salt and pepper, shredded it since the instapot really makes meats well, tender. Dumped it into a dutch oven thingy and added frozen peas and carrots and jarred gravy. I did eat some but I'm not crazy about eating jarred gravy.

That went over well with the crew but I could have just eaten the shredded chicken out of the instapot.

I love nuts, I go through a lot of them. Mostly (unsalted everything) peanuts because they're readily available locally. I get cashews when I can find them, almonds, walnuts (but they're super expensive) and sunflower nuts which I can get locally. I really like sunflower nuts a lot.

I do raisins too but they give me awful gas lol
    Kind of like a chicken stew then? The pie part of chicken pot pie is difficult. No thanks.

Sunflower nuts or seeds? The seeds are awesome. I used to eat them as a kid. I was actually eyeing them in the store last week. They need salt. Funny you mention those. I'll take this as a sign.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kind of like a chicken stew then? The pie part of chicken pot pie is difficult. No thanks.

Sunflower nuts or seeds? The seeds are awesome. I used to eat them as a kid. I was actually eyeing them in the store last week. They need salt. Funny you mention those. I'll take this as a sign.
    Yeah, stew basically. Was really good. The pie part isn't as hard as it seems but you need this weird tool to do it, like a masher sort of, hand held. Basically flour and margarine. It really is easy and glorious.

Nuts. I don't want to get hooked into a salt diet so I'm conscious about it. I get unsalted as a rule, I get plenty of salt otherwise.

I do my lunch veggies like cukes with just straight vinegar. I love vinegar.

These, without the salt:

my junk is ugly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Mister D (05-29-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Those look like the seeds. Maybe the terminology is different out by you. They're high in calories but the oils are good for you. Nice dose if Vitamin E too.

Watch your salt. I don't worry about it because I lose a lot particularly now in the heat.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Those look like the seeds. Maybe the terminology is different out by you. They're high in calories but the oils are good for you. Nice dose if Vitamin E too.

Watch your salt. I don't worry about it because I lose a lot particularly now in the heat.
    Yeah, they're called nuts, not seeds which have the husks and salt usually on them.

Here at least but I really like them, sometimes dip my scoop of peanut butter in the bag, sounds stupid but it's really good.

I do kind of keep an eye on my salt, I don't want too less of it if it makes sense but I can lean to salt because I crave it. I just generally am conscious of it. Hence eating nuts unsalted.

I don't follow my intake like you do, I probably should but I don't, kind of winging it which isn't a bad thing I think. My recent flurry of blood tests came up all positive on all things so maybe my approach is working. I was still in the ok range of iron but on the low side so I'm thinking about that and red meat.
    my junk is ugly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Mister D (05-29-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow a little low on iron? That's interesting. But good for you if the rest is OK. Weight loss does wonders. You have to imagine how much stress that extra, useless weight puts on your system.

~Alain de Benoist

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (05-29-2019)

+ Reply to Thread