Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    lol yeah, I can eat a $#@! ton of that.

Just peeling the shells off of them are enough reason to eat them lol without guilt.
    I thought about buying some without the shells the other day, but I was thinking what would be the fun in that? Peeling the shells is part of the awesomeness, not sure why but it just is. :)
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (05-29-2019),Dr. Who (05-29-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I thought about buying some without the shells the other day, but I was thinking what would be the fun in that? Peeling the shells is part of the awesomeness, not sure why but it just is.
    Exactly

like that one that is totally shelled up, that you have to whack it with a hammer to open up. That's the glory of them, you have to earn it lol
    my junk is ugly

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-29-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-29-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly

like that one that is totally shelled up, that you have to whack it with a hammer to open up. That's the glory of them, you have to earn it lol
    So true. :)
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,262
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Type 2 can be but no, type 1 is for life. Her father pinged type 1 in his early teens. Guess that's where he got it from. My mom was type 2 but she was a train wreck. Way overweight, smoked, type 2 diabetes... Her dad was a tiny guy and my son is too, 120 pounds and he's lost weight on his new diet and is concerned with it. Me and my other two boys are big, stocky guys and I'm trying to help him with his diet, to eat the right things but maintain his weight. It's not easy.

He works as a security guard at a local gas well. Takes sandwiches to work, he thinks rye bread and peanut butter are lower in carbs. That kind of thing. Shifting to lettuce wraps and lower carb stuff. He's pretty structured, he just needs to figure it out and I need to help him with that.

Strength training? No, don't do anything like that, not my style. What is it?
    I can't speak to strength training but if your son eats complex carbs i.e. whole grains, he can maintain his weight and serve his diabetes. Complex carbs don't convert to sugar immediately, they take a lot of digestion and because it's time consuming, they end up being used instead of being converted. Think old school diet, like 150 years ago on the farm in eastern Europe. Buckwheat, barley, groats. No potatoes, no white rice. He needs that heavy seedy bread not commercial rye. If you can't buy it where you are, he may have to learn to make it. There are breadmaker recipes for everything. He basically needs to stay away from processed starches and sugars and even most fruit. Most importantly, he can't let his diabetes get out of control or get too hungry. Losing weight or gaining weight are both bad signs (if it's not muscle gain) but most long-term survivors of diabetes have a very low BMI.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (05-29-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-29-2019),Peter1469 (05-30-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I can't speak to strength training but if your son eats complex carbs i.e. whole grains, he can maintain his weight and serve his diabetes. Complex carbs don't convert to sugar immediately, they take a lot of digestion and because it's time consuming, they end up being used instead of being converted. Think old school diet, like 150 years ago on the farm in eastern Europe. Buckwheat, barley, groats. No potatoes, no white rice. He needs that heavy seedy bread not commercial rye. If you can't buy it where you are, he may have to learn to make it. There are breadmaker recipes for everything. He basically needs to stay away from processed starches and sugars and even most fruit. Most importantly, he can't let his diabetes get out of control or get too hungry. Losing weight or gaining weight are both bad signs (if it's not muscle gain) but most long-term survivors of diabetes have a very low BMI.
    I want to talk with you more on this but I'm going to sleep soon.

I'll bring it up tomorrow, we really need the help.
    my junk is ugly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-29-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exercise is actually extremely important for people with Type 1 diabetes. But if your son isn't really active he should first see his doctor to makes sure his heart is up to it. Building lean muscle mass with strength training could be the best thing for him in the long run.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-30-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,582x in 36,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Type 2 can be but no, type 1 is for life. Her father pinged type 1 in his early teens. Guess that's where he got it from. My mom was type 2 but she was a train wreck. Way overweight, smoked, type 2 diabetes... Her dad was a tiny guy and my son is too, 120 pounds and he's lost weight on his new diet and is concerned with it. Me and my other two boys are big, stocky guys and I'm trying to help him with his diet, to eat the right things but maintain his weight. It's not easy.

He works as a security guard at a local gas well. Takes sandwiches to work, he thinks rye bread and peanut butter are lower in carbs. That kind of thing. Shifting to lettuce wraps and lower carb stuff. He's pretty structured, he just needs to figure it out and I need to help him with that.

Strength training? No, don't do anything like that, not my style. What is it?
    Oh, I see. Yeah, I read that Type II is largely if not exclusively behavioral. Type 1 is inherited. Aside from my candy habit, my diet of lean meats, vegetables and whole grains would be something he should should adopt. Putting his own twist on it of course.
    I should have just said weight lifting but push ups and other body weight exercises do the same thing.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (05-30-2019),Dr. Who (05-30-2019),Peter1469 (05-30-2019)

+ Reply to Thread