Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,553x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amaranth

So my dad told me about this seed that I had never heard of called Amaranth. You eat it somewhat like a grain or grits. I had been wanting to try it for a while. It has 8 grams of protein in one cup, it has a host of other vitamins and minerals. https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/amaranth/ It is hailed as a super grain, better than quinoa. But it is not a grain but a seed. I finally found it at my local store in the bulk food section and got to try it. I cooked it much like a porridge. It was very surprising how good it was. I added a bit of salt to my water, I think I might have added a bit too much. But the flavor was really different and good.

Sadly my stomach did not tolerate it at all. I got an awful stomach ache and was sick all day from it. But before I got sick to my stomach I felt like eating it was really good and that it was a healthy food. It felt healthy when I ate it. I have a really sensitive stomach. There are lots of things I just cant eat. I looked it up online to see if others had the same reaction. I only found one other person. It sounds like most tolerate it really well.

I wanted to share it even though my stomach couldn't handle it in case anyone else wanted to try it. It seems amazing. I will post a few vids on how to cook it. I did not use the seaweed that the person in the first vid used, no thanks.

The diagram below is in the link above.

Nutritional value of Amaranth
    Serving Size: 1 Cup, 98 g
    Calories 251 Kcal.
    Calories from Fat 35.01 Kcal.

Proximity Amount % DV
    Water 184.89 g N/D
    Energy 251 Kcal N/D
    Energy 1055 kJ N/D
    Protein 9.35 g 18.70%
    Total Fat (lipid) 3.89 g 11.11%
    Ash 1.89 g N/D
    Carbohydrate 45.98 g 35.37%
    Total dietary Fiber 5.2 g 13.68%
    Starch 39.93 g N/D

Minerals Amount % DV
    Manganese, Mn 2.101 mg 91.35%
    Iron, Fe 5.17 mg 64.63%
    Phosphorus, P 364 mg 52.00%
    Copper, Cu 0.367 mg 40.78%
    Magnesium, Mg 160 mg 38.10%
    Selenium, Se 13.5 µg 24.55%
    Zinc, Zn 2.12 mg 19.27%
    Calcium, Ca 116 mg 11.60%
    Potassium, K 332 mg 7.06%
    Sodium, Na 15 mg 1.00%

Vitamins Amount % DV
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) 0.278 mg 21.38%
    Vitamin B9 (Folate, Folic acid) 54 µg 13.50%
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.054 mg 4.15%
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.578 mg 3.61%
    Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) 0.47 mg 3.13%
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) 0.037 mg 3.08%
    Tocopherol, beta 0.93 mg N/D
    Tocopherol, gamma 0.12 mg N/D
    Tocopherol, delta 0.59 mg N/D
    *Above mentioned Percent Daily Values (%DVs) are based on 2,000 calorie diet intake. Daily values (DVs) may be different depending upon your daily calorie needs. Mentioned values are recommended by a U.S. Department of Agriculture. They are not healthbenefitstimes.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average age of 19 to 50 years and weighs 194 lbs.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-15-2019),countryboy (05-15-2019),Dr. Who (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew amaranth once - it was a striking plant -- but I never got around to eating it. As I was reading your post, I was intrigued until I came to the part where you got sick. Quinoa makes me sick in the same manner so I'm thinking amaranth might too. Although I can tolerate wild rice, which is also a seed rather than a grain. Interesting.

Maybe try just a little? Sprinkle a few seeds on a salad or soup? Being mostly vegan (an occasional egg or milk in recipes), I try to stick to around 50% raw forms of food rather than cooked, although I do make seitan for it's high levels of protein. When I get some amaranth, I'll be cautious and use just a tiny bit at first. Thanks for the heads up.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

countryboy (05-15-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,175
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,307x in 13,431 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to eat these all the time. Haven't been to the health food store in a while, I may have to pick up a box or two. They're very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Health-Valley.../dp/B000EVNYRG

Natural goodness. Health Valley's Benefits: Health Valley original Amaranth Graham Crackers are all natural and are made with no genetically engineered ingredients; Made with organic wheat & amaranth; Low fat & low sodium; No hydrogenated oils. The History of Amaranth: When Hernando Cortez led the Spaniards into Mexico, he quickly learned that the wonder grain Amaranth was at the very center of Aztec culture. Amaranth was the most abundant grain the Aztecs grew and the nutritional cornerstone of their diet. So widely was the tiny grain cultivated that each year farmers offered over 200,000 bushels of Amaranth as tribute to their ruler Montezuma. Today, modern science confirms that Amaranth is truly a super grain. Amaranth is rich in lysine, one of the essential amino acids that is usually low in other grains. It contains twice the lysine and iron of wheat, and has more than 12 different vitamins and minerals. From a nutritional standpoint, it is clear why the Aztecs referred to Amaranth as a wonder grain.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

6. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I grew amaranth once - it was a striking plant -- but I never got around to eating it. As I was reading your post, I was intrigued until I came to the part where you got sick. Quinoa makes me sick in the same manner so I'm thinking amaranth might too. Although I can tolerate wild rice, which is also a seed rather than a grain. Interesting.

Maybe try just a little? Sprinkle a few seeds on a salad or soup? Being mostly vegan (an occasional egg or milk in recipes), I try to stick to around 50% raw forms of food rather than cooked, although I do make seitan for it's high levels of protein. When I get some amaranth, I'll be cautious and use just a tiny bit at first. Thanks for the heads up.
    Yes if you do try it make a small batch and just eat a few bites. That would be the safest thing. Also make sure to buy an organic one. I don't know if mine was organic, I bought it in the bulk section. But you can find organic, like the Bob's Red Mill, I am sure there are others. Make sure to cook it before you eat it. I read somewhere that if not cooked it can be toxic. But that would have to be looked into some more. That was some random site, someone might have been mixing it up with quinoa. But a few searches and you would know.

Strangely my stomach handled the quinoa really well. You have to wash it a lot. It has natural plant chemicals on the outside of it. I had heard it can be toxic. So you rinse until the water is clear then it is good to go.

I have never heard of seitan before. That is interesting. I will check it out.

For a long long time I did not eat any meat or dairy. But my b12 was pretty low, so I decided to incorporate eggs into my diet. I really didn't want to though. But I make sure to buy only truly cage free organic eggs. https://happyegg.co/
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-15-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,117x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to give it a try.

I do love Quinoa - I eat it a lot.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,135
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    So my dad told me about this seed that I had never heard of called Amaranth. You eat it somewhat like a grain or grits. I had been wanting to try it for a while. It has 8 grams of protein in one cup, it has a host of other vitamins and minerals. https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/amaranth/ It is hailed as a super grain, better than quinoa. But it is not a grain but a seed. I finally found it at my local store in the bulk food section and got to try it. I cooked it much like a porridge. It was very surprising how good it was. I added a bit of salt to my water, I think I might have added a bit too much. But the flavor was really different and good. Sadly my stomach did not tolerate it at all. I got an awful stomach ache and was sick all day from it. But before I got sick to my stomach I felt like eating it was really good and that it was a healthy food. It felt healthy when I ate it. I have a really sensitive stomach. There are lots of things I just cant eat. I looked it up online to see if others had the same reaction. I only found one other person. It sounds like most tolerate it really well. I wanted to share it even though my stomach couldn't handle it in case anyone else wanted to try it. It seems amazing. I will post a few vids on how to cook it. I did not use the seaweed that the person in the first vid used, no thanks. The diagram below is in the link above.
    Nutritional value of Amaranth Serving Size: 1 Cup, 98 g
    Calories 251 Kcal.
    Calories from Fat 35.01 Kcal.
    Proximity Amount % DV
    Water 184.89 g N/D
    Energy 251 Kcal N/D
    Energy 1055 kJ N/D
    Protein 9.35 g 18.70%
    Total Fat (lipid) 3.89 g 11.11%
    Ash 1.89 g N/D
    Carbohydrate 45.98 g 35.37%
    Total dietary Fiber 5.2 g 13.68%
    Starch 39.93 g N/D
    Minerals Amount % DV
    Manganese, Mn 2.101 mg 91.35%
    Iron, Fe 5.17 mg 64.63%
    Phosphorus, P 364 mg 52.00%
    Copper, Cu 0.367 mg 40.78%
    Magnesium, Mg 160 mg 38.10%
    Selenium, Se 13.5 µg 24.55%
    Zinc, Zn 2.12 mg 19.27%
    Calcium, Ca 116 mg 11.60%
    Potassium, K 332 mg 7.06%
    Sodium, Na 15 mg 1.00%
    Vitamins Amount % DV
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) 0.278 mg 21.38%
    Vitamin B9 (Folate, Folic acid) 54 µg 13.50%
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.054 mg 4.15%
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 0.578 mg 3.61%
    Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) 0.47 mg 3.13%
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) 0.037 mg 3.08%
    Tocopherol, beta 0.93 mg N/D
    Tocopherol, gamma 0.12 mg N/D
    Tocopherol, delta 0.59 mg N/D
    *Above mentioned Percent Daily Values (%DVs) are based on 2,000 calorie diet intake. Daily values (DVs) may be different depending upon your daily calorie needs. Mentioned values are recommended by a U.S. Department of Agriculture. They are not healthbenefitstimes.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average age of 19 to 50 years and weighs 194 lbs.
    Certainly as we age, our tummies can get a lot more sensitive, however based on what I've read, people can react badly to foods that they are just not used to. Another issue is combining animal proteins with plant proteins, which can complicate digestion. Before you write off amaranth, try just eating it in very small quantities. Perhaps mixed with your quinoa. Your stomach may adapt.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 05-15-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019),Peter1469 (05-16-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Certainly as we age, our tummies can get a lot more sensitive, however based on what I've read, people can react badly to foods that they are just not used to. Another issue is combining animal proteins with plant proteins, which can complicate digestion. Before you write off amaranth, try just eating it in very small quantities. Perhaps mixed with your quinoa. Your stomach may adapt.
    That is good advice. My stomach has been really strange my whole life. Like I couldn't eat broccoli, or eggs, certain foods will give me serious stomach aches and sometimes they have lasted for days. But I experimented taking probiotics and if I take one in advance I can eat the eggs and broccoli, with no stomach pain. I guess some people don't have proper stomach acids or something like that and they cant digest properly. I am also allergic to eggs, and milk. But I don't die if I eat them. I am also allergic to corn, that hasn't stopped me from eating it though. Who knows, I am pretty weak when it comes to those kinds of things. My mom was a smoker so who knows. I also was not breast fed, because of allergies. So I was a soy milk drinking baby. They say that babies who are breast fed have less allergies. So I guess I was weak since I was born. But my feisty spirit makes up for my weak body. LoL.

When I tested the amaranth I ate it by itself. I also did eat a small serving. I had not even imagined that it could make me sick. But besides that, I would still rate it highly. My own health issues cant taint such an awesome food. I could tell when I ate it that it was a great food. I really liked the taste too. I thought it was great. This is the reason why I recommend it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-16-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is good advice. My stomach has been really strange my whole life. Like I couldn't eat broccoli, or eggs, certain foods will give me serious stomach aches and sometimes they have lasted for days. But I experimented taking probiotics and if I take one in advance I can eat the eggs and broccoli, with no stomach pain. I guess some people don't have proper stomach acids or something like that and they cant digest properly. I am also allergic to eggs, and milk. But I don't die if I eat them. I am also allergic to corn, that hasn't stopped me from eating it though. Who knows, I am pretty weak when it comes to those kinds of things. My mom was a smoker so who knows. I also was not breast fed, because of allergies. So I was a soy milk drinking baby. They say that babies who are breast fed have less allergies. So I guess I was weak since I was born. But my feisty spirit makes up for my weak body. LoL.

When I tested the amaranth I ate it by itself. I also did eat a small serving. I had not even imagined that it could make me sick. But besides that, I would still rate it highly. My own health issues cant taint such an awesome food. I could tell when I ate it that it was a great food. I really liked the taste too. I thought it was great. This is the reason why I recommend it.
    I watched this documentary about this fellow who decided to try an entirely raw vegan diet. He was in serious digestive disorder for a least a week and spend a great deal of time in the bathroom and in pain. Eventually however, his stomach adapted.

Lactose intolerance is not uncommon, but there are lactose specific enzymes that you can take. It really means that your genetic forebears tended not to be milk and cheese eaters. Legumes and cruciferous vegetables are hard for many people to digest if they don't eat them regularly. However, given your combined issue with eggs, I would suspect a sulfur sensitivity which may cause methylation issues. "Methylation is the process of taking a single carbon and three hydrogens, known as a methyl group, and applying it to countless critical functions in your body such as: thinking, repairing DNA, turning on and off genes, fighting infections and getting rid of environmental toxins to name a few". It is possible that you can combat it with molybdenum supplements. Molybdenum plays a role in producing sulfite oxidase (an enzyme), which is used in the final step of the breakdown of cysteine (an amino acid). Other supplements shown to improve methylation include choline and the B-vitamins, especially folate and vitamin B12.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I watched this documentary about this fellow who decided to try an entirely raw vegan diet. He was in serious digestive disorder for a least a week and spend a great deal of time in the bathroom and in pain. Eventually however, his stomach adapted.

Lactose intolerance is not uncommon, but there are lactose specific enzymes that you can take. It really means that your genetic forebears tended not to be milk and cheese eaters. Legumes and cruciferous vegetables are hard for many people to digest if they don't eat them regularly. However, given your combined issue with eggs, I would suspect a sulfur sensitivity which may cause methylation issues. "Methylation is the process of taking a single carbon and three hydrogens, known as a methyl group, and applying it to countless critical functions in your body such as: thinking, repairing DNA, turning on and off genes, fighting infections and getting rid of environmental toxins to name a few". It is possible that you can combat it with molybdenum supplements. Molybdenum plays a role in producing sulfite oxidase (an enzyme), which is used in the final step of the breakdown of cysteine (an amino acid). Other supplements shown to improve methylation include choline and the B-vitamins, especially folate and vitamin B12.
    That is very interesting. As per the first part of your comment, back in 2007 I went 100% vegan. But I didn't consider it vegan, I had made a personal vow. I cut out all processed foods. The only thing that I would eat that was processed was olive oil. And some occasional butter (rarely). I ate all vegetables and legumes and grains. But no bread, and not even a drop of sugar, unless it was 100% natural like fruit or dried fruit. That was tough on my stomach. But I stuck to it. Until I got really sick from that pharmaceutical and almost died. Which was just two years ago. I was so sick by that time and malnourished from getting sick from that medication, that I broke my eating vows, and started eating yogurt and milk, and eggs, and cheese. I have come such a long ways in healing that I am now going back to my old eating vows. But I am going to keep eggs in the diet.

The stuff you have said here is very interesting. I will look into it. I do eat this unfortified nutritional yeast that has tons of b vitamins in it. https://billionvegans.com/product/fo...-oz-pack-of-3/ you can see in the blown up pic it has like over 300% daily value of B5 and over 400% dv of B6. Thank you for that info. I will check into it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-15-2019),Peter1469 (05-16-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is very interesting. As per the first part of your comment, back in 2007 I went 100% vegan. But I didn't consider it vegan, I had made a personal vow. I cut out all processed foods. The only thing that I would eat that was processed was olive oil. And some occasional butter (rarely). I ate all vegetables and legumes and grains. But no bread, and not even a drop of sugar, unless it was 100% natural like fruit or dried fruit. That was tough on my stomach. But I stuck to it. Until I got really sick from that pharmaceutical and almost died. Which was just two years ago. I was so sick by that time and malnourished from getting sick from that medication, that I broke my eating vows, and started eating yogurt and milk, and eggs, and cheese. I have come such a long ways in healing that I am now going back to my old eating vows. But I am going to keep eggs in the diet.

The stuff you have said here is very interesting. I will look into it. I do eat this unfortified nutritional yeast that has tons of b vitamins in it. https://billionvegans.com/product/fo...-oz-pack-of-3/ you can see in the blown up pic it has like over 300% daily value of B5 and over 400% dv of B6. Thank you for that info. I will check into it.
    Yeah, going vegan only works if you don't have genetic impediments that will cause you to die from an inability to process the good veggies properly. It's the same kind of problem that the Inuit (Eskimo etc) people have with eating most vegetables and carbs. Their DNA isn't adapted to it, so it makes them unhealthy. On the other hand they are just fine eating raw seal meat and raw fish.

Mahatma Gandhi

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread