User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: San Francisco is first US city to ban facial recognition

  1. #1
    Points: 31,951, Level: 43
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    21433
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    5,156
    Points
    31,951
    Level
    43
    Thanks Given
    5,132
    Thanked 3,397x in 2,268 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    San Francisco is first US city to ban facial recognition

    1a1237.jpg


    See more at the link https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48276660


    Excerpt:

    Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

    The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

    Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

    Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

    Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

  2. #2
    Points: 116,181, Level: 82
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    80634
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    39,321
    Points
    116,181
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    6,293
    Thanked 12,599x in 9,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Attachment 25983


    See more at the link https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48276660


    Excerpt:

    Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

    The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

    Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

    Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

    Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.
    A set back for big brother!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

  4. #3
    Points: 1,972, Level: 10
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    598
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    773
    Points
    1,972
    Level
    10
    Thanks Given
    894
    Thanked 588x in 377 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Attachment 25983
    See more at the link https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48276660
    Excerpt:
    Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.
    The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.
    Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.
    Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.
    Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.
    Good. Walking on a street should not invalidate the expectation of privacy in one's person.



    I'm sure it will be a matter of time when certain authoritative groups feel audio recording the public will be an acceptable practice, right Siri?
    I never lose.... I either win, or I learn.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

  6. #4
    Points: 31,961, Level: 43
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    303339
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,545
    Points
    31,961
    Level
    43
    Thanks Given
    1,917
    Thanked 9,443x in 5,456 Posts
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Good. Walking on a street should not invalidate the expectation of privacy in one's person....


    How, exactly, does one go about walking on a public street while maintaining an expectation that - in this case - your face will not be seen or recorded by a camera?

    We're talking about a person's face - not the contents of their pockets or the information stored on their cellphone.

    I am as staunch an advocate as you will ever find when it comes to the protection of the individuals citizen's genuine Constitutional rights...but I must confess that this move puzzles me.



    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

    "All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (05-15-2019)

  8. #5
    Points: 1,972, Level: 10
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    598
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    773
    Points
    1,972
    Level
    10
    Thanks Given
    894
    Thanked 588x in 377 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post

    How, exactly, does one go about walking on a public street while maintaining an expectation that - in this case - your face will not be seen or recorded by a camera?
    We're talking about a person's face - not the contents of their pockets or the information stored on their cellphone.
    I am as staunch an advocate as you will ever find when it comes to the protection of the individuals citizen's genuine Constitutional rights...but I must confess that this move puzzles me.


    Being 'caught' while passing a business on a security camera is not my reference point. Having my face/person zoomed in on while in a public area, and the image stored for recognition purposes for future use, is.
    I never lose.... I either win, or I learn.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

  10. #6
    Points: 31,951, Level: 43
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    21433
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    5,156
    Points
    31,951
    Level
    43
    Thanks Given
    5,132
    Thanked 3,397x in 2,268 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    A set back for big brother!
    LoL
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO