Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marianne Williamson: An Interesting Candidate

Marianne Williamson is a more obscure Democratic candidate who has just qualified for the first debate by garnering donations from more than 65,000 distinct persons, and who I just learned about by catching an interview with her on Sunday's Kasie DC program. In that interview, I was drawn in by her unique foreign policy ideas, which closely mirror mine. She has a history of political activism opposing the Iraq War back in the day and opposes our support for the Saudi war in Yemen as well, but also feels that we should have a feminist foreign policy, as in to say that we should consult with the women of Syria and Afghanistan as to what their needs are before just unilaterally and arbitrarily withdrawing all our troops from those theaters because they have potentially the most to lose from that. When she put it that way, she had my attention because that's very much what I believe the appropriate type of American foreign policy to be, and she's the only candidate, Republican, Democratic, or third party, running on such a position. Everyone else seems to be running either as an old-fashioned militarist or as basically a full-blown pacifist incapable of nuance.

I did some more research on her views on domestic policy recently, and found myself very pleased in that area as well, as she turns out to be a supporter of the Green New Deal, Medicare for all, a $15 minimum wage, tuition-free college, universal guaranteed income, and a universal savings account available to children at birth, and more, so I'm in broad agreement with her economic views as well.

Here are a couple of the useful resources (besides the interview linked above) I found detailing her background and positions on the issues: PBS, Wikipedia.

I especially like her foreign policy ideas and the fact that she founded the Peace Alliance and Project Angel Food non-profits. As with other Democratic candidates, there are some areas where I disagree with her (the Equality Act comes to mind immediately), but those are few and far between on balance. Her biggest weakness though, for me, is the fact that she has no experience working in government. Our current experiment with electing such a president hasn't worked out well in my opinion. I don't want a proper Washington insider, but I do prefer that a candidate for president have some governing experience working on behalf of millions of voters. Nonetheless I'm intrigued and want to hear more from her. I'd like to see her in June's debate! I fear I won't get the chance though, as the Democratic Party has capped the number of candidates eligible to participate at 20 and since pollsters don't bother to include Williamson's name, it's impossible for her to poll at 1% or more to meet the party's preferred debate qualification criteria even though she is eligible by the other metric (at least 65,000 unique donors). But I hope!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 05-15-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I did some more research on her views on domestic policy recently, and found myself very pleased in that area as well, as she turns out to be a supporter of the Green New Deal, Medicare for all, a $15 minimum wage, tuition-free college, universal guaranteed income, and a universal savings account available to children at birth, and more, so I'm in broad agreement with her economic views as well.
    And did she perchance explain how she plans to pay for all that?

Has she heard this from Alexander Fraser Tytler: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.""
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Don29palms's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 555x in 374 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So she is just as insane as all the rest of the demonrats. She obviously has no understanding of how the real world works.
    VOTE DEMOCRAT!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Don29palms For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-15-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And did she perchance explain how she plans to pay for all that?

Has she heard this from Alexander Fraser Tytler: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.""
    I was looking for that quote the other day, but could not remember the author. Thanks for posting that. It is true and accurate and something the Left refuses to even think about.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-15-2019),Chris (05-15-2019)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I was looking for that quote the other day, but could not remember the author. Thanks for posting that. It is true and accurate and something the Left refuses to even think about.
    The full quote is here: http://actionamerica.org/fun/tytler.shtml. The authorship is disputed but not the truth of the quote.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,991x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She talks about civil liberties, but then advocates government control over virtually every life decision one can be faced with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-15-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And did she perchance explain how she plans to pay for all that?...
    I guess she plans to tax the wealthy and corporations until they all are forced to either close down or leave the country.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    She talks about civil liberties, but then advocates government control over virtually every life decision one can be faced with.
    Liberals don't recognize natural rights, only those the government grants. To them, the bigger the government, the more rights we have. --Starts with the likes of Rousseau.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can picture her consulting with Muslim women.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Don29palms (05-15-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Marianne Williamson is a more obscure Democratic candidate who has just qualified for the first debate by garnering donations from more than 65,000 distinct persons, and who I just learned about by catching an interview with her on Sunday's Kasie DC program. In that interview, I was drawn in by her unique foreign policy ideas, which closely mirror mine. She has a history of political activism opposing the Iraq War back in the day and opposes our support for the Saudi war in Yemen as well, but also feels that we should have a feminist foreign policy, as in to say that we should consult with the women of Syria and Afghanistan as to what their needs are before just unilaterally and arbitrarily withdrawing all our troops from those theaters because they have potentially the most to lose from that. When she put it that way, she had my attention because that's very much what I believe the appropriate type of American foreign policy to be, and she's the only candidate, Republican, Democratic, or third party, running on such a position. Everyone else seems to be running either as an old-fashioned militarist or as basically a full-blown pacifist incapable of nuance.

Here are a couple of the useful resources (besides the interview linked above) I found detailing her background and positions on the issues: PBS, Wikipedia.

I especially like her foreign policy ideas and the fact that she founded the Peace Alliance and Project Angel Food non-profits. As with other Democratic candidates, there are some areas where I disagree with her (the Equality Act comes to mind immediately), but those are few and far between on balance. Her biggest weakness though, for me, is the fact that she has no experience working in government. Our current experiment with electing such a president hasn't worked out well in my opinion. I don't want a proper Washington insider, but I do prefer that a candidate for president have some governing experience working on behalf of millions of voters. Nonetheless I'm intrigued and want to hear more from her. I'd like to see her in June's debate! I fear I won't get the chance though, as the Democratic Party has capped the number of candidates eligible to participate at 20 and since pollsters don't bother to include Williamson's name, it's impossible for her to poll at 1% or more to meet the party's preferred debate qualification criteria even though she is eligible by the other metric (at least 65,000 unique donors). But I hope!
    I fail to see why you think she's such an interesting candidate. She's not advocating anything different than several other candidates.

Her ideas are fiscally impossible to accomplish anyway.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Don29palms (05-15-2019)

+ Reply to Thread