Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 45,242x in 33,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The good old days

I grew up on the waterfront on Puget sound. When I was a kid, I always had a boat. First it was a row boat. Then my dad got me a three horse power outboard motor for that row boat. Then I got older, got a paper route and bought a ten foot hydroplane.

I'd get up early in the morning and take off in my hydroplane. When I got low on gas I'd have to come home. My Dad would be waiting there and he'd start lecturing me about ignoring my chores and stuff. He'd put me to work in the yard and I'd be $#@!ing and moaning.. I thought he was a slave driver. Still he would always go to the local gas station and fill my two six gallon tanks.

My mother told me that when I get older I'll appreciate him for that and consider this time "the good old days". She was right.

Kids today don't get that experience.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-16-2019),texan (05-15-2019),Trumpster (05-16-2019)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,486x in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Story. Like that your dad always made sure you had gas for your passion.
    # Stop pointing fingers at Trump supporters. If you voted for Hillary or Bill you are the immoral one.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,396
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,602x in 3,863 Posts
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I grew up on the waterfront on Puget sound. When I was a kid, I always had a boat. First it was a row boat. Then my dad got me a three horse power outboard motor for that row boat. Then I got older, got a paper route and bought a ten foot hydroplane.

I'd get up early in the morning and take off in my hydroplane. When I got low on gas I'd have to come home. My Dad would be waiting there and he'd start lecturing me about ignoring my chores and stuff. He'd put me to work in the yard and I'd be $#@!ing and moaning.. I thought he was a slave driver. Still he would always go to the local gas station and fill my two six gallon tanks.

My mother told me that when I get older I'll appreciate him for that and consider this time "the good old days". She was right.

Most of the freedom we enjoyed back then would be called child endangerment today despite all the critical thinking skills that came of that freedom.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,101
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,102x in 8,193 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post

Times have changed. Rock and roll back then was considered satanic music. And by my guess they were talking about the Beatles.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,663x in 6,763 Posts
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Times have changed. Rock and roll back then was considered satanic music. And by my guess they were talking about the Beatles.
    I never understood how my father (and other adults) could accuse the Beatles of performing songs that "you can't even understand the lyrics" of. I heard and understood the words of their songs then, and I still do. The same for most if not all of the other popular groups of that day. Now, TODAY it's a different story. I do frequently hear songs that are popular today and I have to look up the lyrics online because either the lead singer is just unintelligible or their voice is overwhelmed by the instrumentation.

I will admit that there is one song from that earlier time for which I can only pick out about 30% of the words, and that is the 1972 hit by the Hollies, 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress'. I'm not a karaoke guy, but I think it would be hysterical to hear someone do that song exactly as they did it - mostly unintelligible - sound for sound.
    "If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed...walk it off." - Captain America in Captain America: Civil War

"The guy who kills me... I hope he does it because he hates my guts, not because it's his job." - Sonny (Al Pacino) in Dog Day Afternoon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,036x in 1,585 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be glad your old man couldn't understand Robert Plant.

And Dylan was totally unintelligible. What a waste.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant Gleed For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,663x in 6,763 Posts
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    Be glad your old man couldn't understand Robert Plant.

And Dylan was totally unintelligible. What a waste.
    Dylan's earlier songs were all pretty easy to understand, although his voice was never all that. Later, he became almost a parody of himself and it became increasingly more difficult to make out what he was singing. But compared to some of today's pop stars, he's Frank Sinatra.
    "If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed...walk it off." - Captain America in Captain America: Civil War

"The guy who kills me... I hope he does it because he hates my guts, not because it's his job." - Sonny (Al Pacino) in Dog Day Afternoon

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-16-2019),Cotton1 (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,874
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,807x in 8,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were also songs that if your parents could understand the words wouldn't be shocked by the language. Not so true today.

I saw something on line that stated most of the songs today are written and arranged by just two people. This is one of the reasons most of today's music sounds like most of today's music! Now its noise without meaning and twerking to show off the fat butts of the female singers.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,564x in 1,025 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I seriously laugh about now, but can also appreciate it from my Mom's point of view, back then.

For the first time I played Nazareth's Hair of the Dog, on 45, Mom cam in, pulled it off the record player without lifting the needle, marched up the hall, opened the front door and frisbeed it into a snow bank, saying 'That will be enough of THAT'.

I complained and whined, and a couple of days later retrieved it from the snowbank, but never played it in the house again. I still have it with my other vinyl records.

Now you're messin' with a......
    When people can't tell the difference between the Norweigen flag and the Confederate flag, we don't have a racist problem, we have a stupidity problem.

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,874
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,807x in 8,169 Posts
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Something I seriously laugh about now, but can also appreciate it from my Mom's point of view, back then.

For the first time I played Nazareth's Hair of the Dog, on 45, Mom cam in, pulled it off the record player without lifting the needle, marched up the hall, opened the front door and frisbeed it into a snow bank, saying 'That will be enough of THAT'.

I complained and whined, and a couple of days later retrieved it from the snowbank, but never played it in the house again. I still have it with my other vinyl records.

Now you're messin' with a......
    Well, there is always an exception isn't there! I don't recall any of the lyrics up to the mid 70's that contained profanity on the album itself (the stage shows maybe). There was a lot of innuendo and double meanings but nothing overt that I recall.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread