User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Trump has made America less racist

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    In a tragic sort of way. I've been thinking more and more of applying for Canadian or Irish citizenship.
    You could actually expedite the process by first getting Somali citizenship first, then applying as a Somali citizen.

Then you'd be a legit refugee and get moved to the front of the line.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (05-18-2019)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a tragic sort of way. I've been thinking more and more of applying for Canadian or Irish citizenship.
    Back when I was liberal, I used to think about moving to Canada in the long run. Ireland was also a possibility. Over time, I became conservative mostly because of how far left the Democrats eventually became in the late 2000s and early part of this decade.

If you move to Canada or Ireland, both are significantly more liberal than America, which may have some advantages, but I would say the disadvantages are considerably more noticeable.

For starters, neither country has much in the way of gun rights, particularly Ireland. It's honestly hard to find a Western country with better gun rights than America. There are a few countries outside of the West with better gun rights (Yemen is one, ironically).

Second, freedom of speech is better here than pretty much anywhere else. Hate speech laws are notoriously broad in a lot of other countries, particularly in Europe. Canada isn't as bad about it as most places, but C-16 is a good example of where their government intervenes too much.

This forum might be more conservative than some people's preferences, but honestly, general American society is left of center. All the major urban areas are liberal as well, and with most mainstream media based in the most liberal parts of the country, that basically creates a mainstream that shifts leftward continuously.

I guess that's why, in hindsight, I find it weird when people talk about moving to places like Canada. If you want a more liberal environment, there are plenty of cities in America that fit this. The only real advantage to moving to Canada is that they have socialized medicine. Even so, if you have a good employer plan, socialized medicine doesn't seem like much of an advantage when taking into account higher taxation in most Canadian cities as compared with most American ones, and substantially higher gas prices. Oh, and of course, ridiculously cold weather. Only a few parts of the US can compare with most of Canada's cold weather and snow (like Minnesota).

Ireland is definitely better in the weather department, if you can deal with mostly cloudy days and a lot of rain. They have a ridiculously high sales tax, but that's typical of a lot of Western Europe. They're not as bad about income tax. Still, Ireland is part of the EU, so ultimately, the laws they have to deal with are often handed down by an unelected committee in Brussels. To each their own, but I wouldn't call that ideal, even compared to the bickering of Congress.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably be more at home in Canada. It's like America but without the extremism.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    You'd probably be more at home in Canada. It's like America but without the extremism.
    OMG, did you just really type that tripe?
    https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...lamists-report

Left-wing extremism often has developed from working-class movements seeking in theory to eliminate, not preserve, class distinctions. Communism evolved from left-wing extremism. The threat from left-wing extremists did not die with the collapse of the Soviet Union, however. Domestic groups and state-sponsored cells and individuals have continued their espionage activities and the planning of terrorist actions against the U.S. government. Leftist extremists were responsible for three-fourths of the officially designated acts of terrorism in America in the 1980s. From an international perspective,of the 13,858 people who died between 1988 and 1998 in attacks committed by the 10 most active terrorist groups in the world, 74 percent were killed by leftist organizations.
    https://fas.org/irp/world/para/left.pdf
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,898x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    Back when I was liberal, I used to think about moving to Canada in the long run. Ireland was also a possibility. Over time, I became conservative mostly because of how far left the Democrats eventually became in the late 2000s and early part of this decade.

If you move to Canada or Ireland, both are significantly more liberal than America, which may have some advantages, but I would say the disadvantages are considerably more noticeable.

For starters, neither country has much in the way of gun rights, particularly Ireland. It's honestly hard to find a Western country with better gun rights than America. There are a few countries outside of the West with better gun rights (Yemen is one, ironically).

Second, freedom of speech is better here than pretty much anywhere else. Hate speech laws are notoriously broad in a lot of other countries, particularly in Europe. Canada isn't as bad about it as most places, but C-16 is a good example of where their government intervenes too much.

This forum might be more conservative than some people's preferences, but honestly, general American society is left of center. All the major urban areas are liberal as well, and with most mainstream media based in the most liberal parts of the country, that basically creates a mainstream that shifts leftward continuously.

I guess that's why, in hindsight, I find it weird when people talk about moving to places like Canada. If you want a more liberal environment, there are plenty of cities in America that fit this. The only real advantage to moving to Canada is that they have socialized medicine. Even so, if you have a good employer plan, socialized medicine doesn't seem like much of an advantage when taking into account higher taxation in most Canadian cities as compared with most American ones, and substantially higher gas prices. Oh, and of course, ridiculously cold weather. Only a few parts of the US can compare with most of Canada's cold weather and snow (like Minnesota).

Ireland is definitely better in the weather department, if you can deal with mostly cloudy days and a lot of rain. They have a ridiculously high sales tax, but that's typical of a lot of Western Europe. They're not as bad about income tax. Still, Ireland is part of the EU, so ultimately, the laws they have to deal with are often handed down by an unelected committee in Brussels. To each their own, but I wouldn't call that ideal, even compared to the bickering of Congress.

Yea, I keep reading about how most Americans are liberal even if they don't know it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Well, I would say Canada has the other end of extremism. They're quite politically correct, like a lot of the West outside of the US. Even parts of the US are pretty politically correct.

+ Reply to Thread