User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eating Roadkill Is Illegal in California. But That May Change

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,599x in 25,152 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Eating Roadkill Is Illegal in California. But That May Change

Eating Roadkill Is Illegal in California. But That May Change. Let’s get the jokes out of the way first.

“Meals under wheels.”
    “Bumper crop.”
    “Gravel-tenderized meat.”

Chances are state Sen. Bob Archuleta has heard most of them. A Los Angeles County Democrat, he has a bill advancing through the Legislature that would allow Californians to “salvage” recently deceased wildlife from the sides of the state’s roads and highways. The eyebrow-raising (and for the squeamish, stomach-churning) effort has been the butt of “many jokes here in the Capitol and even in my own hometown” of Pico Rivera, he acknowledged. But jokes aside, he insists, “this bill is dealing with very serious issues.” It would allow outdoorsy and culinarily courageous Californians to engage in a very particular form of roadside dining, so long as they apply for a state permit after-the-fact. Proponents say that wildlife and highway regulators could then use the data to identify roadkill hotspots and help reduce human-wildlife collisions.

https://www.kqed.org/science/1941435...e-not-for-long

Roadkill-California-800x524.jpg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that proposition will pass as CA is one of the states that's seen chronic wasting disease (CWD) in captive deer populations. CWD is a prion disease, similar to mad cow disease, and while some studies show it probably doesn't transfer between the animals and the folks who eat them, the CDC recommends not eating the brain and spinal cord. It's pretty bad in Colorado now and it's spreading to other states. It's hurting the hunting industry in those places, because no one really wants to eat venison that's tainted.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-18-2019),Peter1469 (05-18-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of this before. It is actually a really good idea. I am not sure if it was in Alaska, but when someone accidently hits an animal, they take it right away to feed poor families. It is a good idea. Why waste a life? Some people are really poor and this could feed their family for a long time. They dont eat 10 day dead animals or anything they are fresh accidents. I think in Alaska the sherrif or wildlife person is called and they take it right away to the poor.

But as per @FindersKeepers post that is a whole other matter. That is scary.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-18-2019),Peter1469 (05-18-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link https://www.citylab.com/environment/...e-meat/579352/

Excerpt:

Every year, between 600 and 800 moose are killed in Alaska by cars, leaving up to 250,000 pounds of organic, free-range meat on the road. State troopers who respond to these collisions keep a list of charities and families who have agreed to drive to the scene of an accident at any time, in any weather, to haul away and butcher the body.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,431x in 94,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I have heard of this before. It is actually a really good idea. I am not sure if it was in Alaska, but when someone accidently hits an animal, they take it right away to feed poor families. It is a good idea. Why waste a life? Some people are really poor and this could feed their family for a long time. They dont eat 10 day dead animals or anything they are fresh accidents. I think in Alaska the sherrif or wildlife person is called and they take it right away to the poor.

But as per @FindersKeepers post that is a whole other matter. That is scary.
    Notwithstanding the issue FK talks about, it should be legal for the person who hit the animal, or a witness to use the meat. Why waste it? Of course you don't want a dead deer being picked up for food after a certain amount of time after it was killed.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-18-2019)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Notwithstanding the issue FK talks about, it should be legal for the person who hit the animal, or a witness to use the meat. Why waste it? Of course you don't want a dead deer being picked up for food after a certain amount of time after it was killed.
    I know in NY, when deer are hit by a vehicle, once the police are done with their investigation, the deer is up for grabs; the driver of the car who struck the deer has first dibs and if they don't want it, then anyone who wants to haul it off (within 2 hours) is free to do so.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (05-18-2019),Just AnotherPerson (05-18-2019),Peter1469 (05-18-2019)

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew a woman in Western Mass. that, for her husbands birthday gave him a pair of "roadkill gloves" I tried googling an image, but was unsuccessful. They were thick mothers that went up to the elbows, and when you make a fist, there is a blade protruding from the knuckles for "scraping" the pavement. That was the last time I ate at their house I can tell you *shudders*

Also, I have a great picture of a rusty can of "Roadkill Stew" that is on display at the local tavern, but I cant figure out how to share it to the site from my phone...quite an unsuccessful day so far

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-18-2019)

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I doubt that proposition will pass as CA is one of the states that's seen chronic wasting disease (CWD) in captive deer populations. CWD is a prion disease, similar to mad cow disease, and while some studies show it probably doesn't transfer between the animals and the folks who eat them, the CDC recommends not eating the brain and spinal cord. It's pretty bad in Colorado now and it's spreading to other states. It's hurting the hunting industry in those places, because no one really wants to eat venison that's tainted.

Since when did the California legislature become imbued with any common sense or any desire to act to promote the health of the people?

And remember this, they may decide to simply move that road kill off the human menu, but instead sell/donate the meat to the makers of animal feed, since fresh protein is always in demand in that industry. THEN those prions will get into the cattle feed and onto your grill.

At present there are federal laws restricting what can be used as source protein for animal feed...and they've been very effective in the US and thus no epidemics of most variants of Mad Cow in the US, except the extremist Rachel variant.

But a California as desperate for money as this state is could view roadkill sales to animal feed processors as a viable option, and California already has no respect for the law.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant Gleed For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (05-19-2019)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Eating Roadkill Is Illegal in California. But That May Change. Let’s get the jokes out of the way first.

“Meals under wheels.”
    “Bumper crop.”
    “Gravel-tenderized meat.”

Chances are state Sen. Bob Archuleta has heard most of them. A Los Angeles County Democrat, he has a bill advancing through the Legislature that would allow Californians to “salvage” recently deceased wildlife from the sides of the state’s roads and highways. The eyebrow-raising (and for the squeamish, stomach-churning) effort has been the butt of “many jokes here in the Capitol and even in my own hometown” of Pico Rivera, he acknowledged. But jokes aside, he insists, “this bill is dealing with very serious issues.” It would allow outdoorsy and culinarily courageous Californians to engage in a very particular form of roadside dining, so long as they apply for a state permit after-the-fact. Proponents say that wildlife and highway regulators could then use the data to identify roadkill hotspots and help reduce human-wildlife collisions.

https://www.kqed.org/science/1941435...e-not-for-long

Attachment 26001
    1) If you hit a deer it should either be yours or go to feed people at a shelter.
    2) If it's still warm it's probably OK. However, I personally have ever only practiced number one.

+ Reply to Thread