Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,009x in 10,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    Yes....Australian governance is miles ahead of America. American governments long for the glory days of the past.
    Hence why Trump was elected on his message of Make America Great Again.

And you just told me the newly elected Coalition government were elitists, corporate indentured servants doing the bidding of the rich and powerful.....and I mean....you JUST told me that.

F'n oops.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,773
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Labor and LNP take large donations from mining and energy multinationals , which means both parties are getting their strings pulled by the same people....much like what happens in the US . You can change the government but the faceless men lurking behind closed doors still want their payback for the big donations. - @PJL 8:22pm yesterday.

Australian governance is miles ahead of America -PJL some 9 hours later at 5:28am.

We have a saying in America about talking out both sides of your mouth. As we're on a talk board and thus typing.....why not pick a f'n argument you'd like to make...….you're all over the place and looking.....well......overmatched.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And @Rationalist please send me your list of coalition governments who don't have elitists in power. Thanks.

F'n unbelievable.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    It's funny to watch conservatives applaud the conservative victory in Australia while not understanding that they support universal healthcare, common sense gun laws, believe in global warming and have some progressive stances.
    As I've already mentioned, if a party in the US shared the same policies and ideologies, Mr. V and other extremists would call them communists.
    If by "common sense gun laws", you mean "no gun rights", sure. Granted, few Western countries actually understand gun rights. There was a time when the West actually understood them, but unfortunately, statism eroded them just like it did in much of the world outside of the West.

At this point, the US is one of the few Western countries with significant gun rights, while a few non-Western countries also have them. Granted, much of the West is also losing its freedom of speech.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    And @Rationalist please send me your list of coalition governments who don't have elitists in power. Thanks.

F'n unbelievable.
    You misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that elites don't control these governments. I was saying that they find them harder to control in the conventional sense, since they involve opposing elites. Coalition governments have elites with a variety of policy stances, so they have to come to certain compromises while still conflicting on other policies.

In short, power is more balanced.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJL View Post
    Yes....Australian governance is miles ahead of America. American governments long for the glory days of the past.
    I wouldn't go that far. Australian governance has a lot of flaws when it comes to social policy. Like a lot of the rest of the West, the freedom of speech has been eroded due to the expansion of hate speech laws, and Australia is also subject to the expansion of the surveillance state -- since it's part of the Five Eyes program. All 5 of the countries involved (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States) have seen reductions in the right to privacy for the sake of a false sense of security. Also, Australia tends to get pulled into American led interventions. So, you could say some of Australia's governance problem is due to American influence. Granted, Australia is also manipulated by Chinese influence.

The "glory days of the past" for America would be the early 1800s, at least in terms of limiting government. Granted, slavery was around at the time, so the "glory" wasn't evenhanded.

Where Australia excels is the allowance for coalition governance, although that's obviously not unique to Australia. Plenty of other western nations have this. America just happens to be one of the few without it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    You misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that elites don't control these governments. I was saying that they find them harder to control in the conventional sense, since they involve opposing elites. Coalition governments have elites with a variety of policy stances, so they have to come to certain compromises while still conflicting on other policies.

In short, power is more balanced.
    So....an outsider like say.....Donald Trump could win in a coalition government?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Australian governance has a lot of flaws when it comes to social policy. Like a lot of the rest of the West, the freedom of speech has been eroded due to the expansion of hate speech laws, and Australia is also subject to the expansion of the surveillance state -- since it's part of the Five Eyes program. All 5 of the countries involved (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States) have seen reductions in the right to privacy for the sake of a false sense of security. Also, Australia tends to get pulled into American led interventions. So, you could say some of Australia's governance problem is due to American influence. Granted, Australia is also manipulated by Chinese influence.

The "glory days of the past" for America would be the early 1800s, at least in terms of limiting government. Granted, slavery was around at the time, so the "glory" wasn't evenhanded.

Where Australia excels is the allowance for coalition governance, although that's obviously not unique to Australia. Plenty of other western nations have this. America just happens to be one of the few without it.
    You know anything about America in the early 1800's. Are you speaking to our government's expansion west, the War of 1812, what?

+ Reply to Thread