User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me again about the oppression of women in America?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,639x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Heart disease is strongly associated with stress, so perhaps men are contributing indirectly to those deaths as well.
    Ahh, but moreso the other way around. Because men die younger and often from causes fueled by stress.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have an agreement where I make all the major decisions and she the minor. I make the decisions like should Trump be President, If we went to war with Iran should we support it etc. She makes the minor ones like where are we going to live, what clothes am I going to wear to the wedding of her third cousin in Newark, do we get a SUV or a four door sedan, etc.

Finderskeepers, I have had the experience of someone trying to sell me something that is clearly my wife's area of expertise and the sale is lost in no uncertain terms for the disrespect shown my wife. This was quite prevalent in East Tennessee where the woman are still considered subservient in many cases.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Let's put it this way folks: men don't fear women. Women are not a leading cause of death for men.

Women DO fear men though because men are a leading cause of death for women. When that is no longer the case, THEN we will have parity. That's my principal gauge anyway.
    Well, you might find this pessimistic, but I would say this isn't likely to ever change. About the only way I could see it changing would require significant genetic modification of our species.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,586x in 55,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's put it this way folks: men don't fear women. Women are not a leading cause of death for men.

Women DO fear men though because men are a leading cause of death for women. When that is no longer the case, THEN we will have parity. That's my principal gauge anyway.
    Do you tremble in fear when a man is in your presence?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

donttread (05-20-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I would even question that they have it tougher? Men do most of the physical labor, die far more often from us waging war, from suicide ( 3x as often as women), and murder, and younger in general.
    Oppressed peoples don't get more medical and probably mental healthcare than oppressors do. Period. Past feminist did some great work, but they are no longer needed and cannot accept that. Hell women, in numbers much higher than men, can even file "rape charges" if they got drunk, participated in love making and later regretted it! Not passed out , just drunk by no clear definition. But we live in a society where we are responsible for our actions under the influence.Except for this and maybe some contract law!
    Interesting. Is a DUI a victimless crime @Cletus? Or does it take a drink to kill someone?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,474x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Interesting. Is a DUI a victimless crime @Cletus?

If a drunk gets in his car and makes it home without incident, who is harmed?

Or does it take a drink to kill someone?
    I don't even know what that means. The reason DUI is a crime is because the act of driving under the influence poses a threat to the safety of the general public. Personally, I don't think the act of driving under the influence should be a crime, but I do think if caught, it should result in the revocation of your driving privileges. If someone is injured as a result of driving under the influence, I believe that should result in criminal charges and the penalty for doing so should be severe.

Trying to conflate the college admissions scandal to driving under the influence is ridiculous. I would like to say I expect better from you, but the best I can muster is the hope that in the future you will at least attempt to do better.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-20-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we have parity, then. According to the CDC, the 10 leading causes of death for women of all ages are...

1. Heart diseases
    2. Cancer
    3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
    4. Stroke
    5. Alzheimer's Disease
    6. Unintentional injuries
    7. Diabetes
    8. Influenza and Pneumonia
    9. Kidney disease
    10. Septecemia

I don't see "men" anywhere on the list.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-20-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Does violence even make it into the top 10 causes?
    No.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A man can never know what it's like to walk into a room full of strange men who proceed to visually inspect you as they contemplate the possibility of sexual intercourse. In men's defense, they cannot really help it. Evolution has designed them to aggressively crave and seek out sex. But that makes it even scarier for women. The fact that men cannot stop themselves from desperately wanting sex may absolve men somewhat of their behavior, but it doesn't leave women feeling less oppressed.
    You have to be kidding. I agree there are a lot of creepy men. I was raised around women and believe me, i know. As for me? One of my pet peeves is for a woman to assume I want to do her . ive never met one yet thats as good as she thinks she is
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But they are sex-obsessed. It's just evolution.

The average man could kick your ass easily. And you behave accordingly. Either through subtle submissiveness in the face of men or by seeking out the protection of other men. And there's nothing wrong with that. You are doing what you have to do in order to survive a world dominated by males. But it is dominated by males. And their dominant position makes some oppression of women practically unavoidable. I'm not saying it's an extreme form of oppression. But it doesn't exist.
    That's probably true to some extent. But I'm sure you would agree that they probably experience less fear than a woman would in the same situation.
    I didn't pick fights. But I didn't NEED to fight either. You wouldn't understand because you're not a male. Lots of males like to fight. Again, it's just evolution. I'm not making a value judgement, but simply stating a fact.
    Generally speaking, cats are very capable of defending themselves against dogs. The same cannot be said for women as it relates to men.

You're basing your entire argument on the fact that men are physically stronger than women so women are fearful of men. Hence, women are oppressed to some extent.

But here's the thing -- while that may be true for some women -- it certainly isn't for all women. Many of us, simply, are not afraid. You might think we should be, but we are not. That doesn't mean we go looking for trouble - everyone (male and female) should take reasonable precautions not to purposefully stroll through inner city gang territory at night, not pick up rattlesnakes, not use hair dryers in the bathtub, etc.

Many things in this world can harm us, but that doesn't mean they "oppress" us. I am not oppressed. Not in the least.

I kind of think you may be giving the word "oppression" a different meaning.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

+ Reply to Thread