Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palm Sugar

Normally when I want sugar I use dates. They are really good and pure sugar. But I was at the store today and seen Palm Sugar. It has sparked my curiosity. It looks like it actually has good nutrients in it and a low glicemic index. I also seen that they had coconut sugar. I looked it up and Coconut sugar is palm sugar they are the same thing with different names. I guess the palm sugar is made from the sap from the flower buds on the Coconut Palm tree. It is minimally processed and no chemicals are used. I am kind of interested in trying this out.

The article says of course it is not good to eat a lot of it, it is sugar. But a little might not be bad. I am not sure though. I had never heard of it before.

coconut-sugar_625x350_41459324912.jpg

Here is an excerpt and link to the nutrients in Palm Sugar https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/pa...or-you-1292110

Health Benefits of Palm Sugar

Since palm sugar is an unrefined sugar, it is known to be rich in vitamins and minerals. As a result, it has become increasingly popular as a substitute to white and brown sugar. Research studies have found that it contains minerals like potassium, phosphorus, zinc, iron, manganese and copper; small amounts of phytonutrients such as polyphenols, flavonoids and anthocyanidin; and antioxidants. It is rich in B vitamins, especially inositol (Vit8) which is needed for the formation of healthy cells, as well as thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid and choline.

It contains the same 16 amino acids as present in the sap from which it is derived. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and are needed for cell growth and repair.

One of the biggest reasons of the popularity of palm sugar is due to its low glycemic index, a method of measuring how carbohydrates impact blood glucose levels. A high GI means that the food is rapidly absorbed by the body thereby increasing the blood sugar level and causing the pancreas to release large amounts of insulin. A low GI indicates that the food is slowly absorbed, preventing the spike in insulin level. Researchers have found that the GI of palm sugar is 35, compared to honey at 55 and table sugar at 68.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (06-06-2019),Peter1469 (06-06-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,059x in 24,885 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Cleveland Clinic has railed on the evils of processed sugar and what it does to your heart. This is worth a look.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-06-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive looked into coconut sugar because a friend swears by it, from what ive read the difference between palm sugar and regular is minimal. Palm has some nutrients but its negligible and the calories are both high and the glycemic level is minimal also, 60 for regular sugar 54 for palm.

Try Stevia, its made from sugar but zero calories and you need much less to sweeten. I only use it when I have iced tea or a tiny bit on like cheerios. No sugar in coffee or added to anything else

Heres a decent article on it, read to the end

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coconut-sugar
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (06-06-2019),Peter1469 (06-06-2019)

+ Reply to Thread