User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Game of Thrones finale has a hidden message for progressives

  1. #11
    Points: 458,612, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397109
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    149,222
    Points
    458,612
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,411
    Thanked 44,684x in 32,881 Posts
    Mentioned
    1718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    You really think so? I have long understood him as a protofascist of sorts.
    To me he was the epitome of the Roussean principle of the state will force freedom on you. He tore down the old social institutions like the church and monarchy to free people from that but put them under his dictates. He was very Hitlerian as Dumont describes him in Essays on Individualism, equalitarian individualism subordinated to power or force, which was him. Daenerys ended up the same.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  2. #12
    Original Ranter
    Points: 226,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    396986
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90,831
    Points
    226,969
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    18,003
    Thanked 33,929x in 24,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    To me he was the epitome of the Roussean principle of the state will force freedom on you. He tore down the old social institutions like the church and monarchy to free people from that but put them under his dictates. He was very Hitlerian as Dumont describes him in Essays on Individualism, equalitarian individualism subordinated to power or force, which was him. Daenerys ended up the same.
    He had a strange and sometimes hostile relationship with the Church but i don't think he destroyed the monarchy. He was in some ways a usurper and it was true what he said: I found the French Crown lying in the gutter and i picked it up on the tip of my sword. I agree he was Hitlerian. I saw Abel Gance's Napoleon in college. It made a strong impression.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_(1927_film)
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  3. #13
    Points: 458,612, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397109
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    149,222
    Points
    458,612
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,411
    Thanked 44,684x in 32,881 Posts
    Mentioned
    1718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    He had a strange and sometimes hostile relationship with the Church but i don't think he destroyed the monarchy. He was in some ways a usurper and it was true what he said: I found the French Crown lying in the gutter and i picked it up on the tip of my sword. I agree he was Hitlerian. I saw Abel Gance's Napoleon in college. It made a strong impression.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_(1927_film)

    True, he sought to destroy monarchy but never succeeded. Simoneau's Napolean (miniseries) seems to depict him heroically with an underlying skepticism whether he deserves that fame. Franois-Ren de Chateaubriand's criticism in "On Buonaparte and the Bourbons" in Critics of the Enlightenment reveals just how much the French lost under him.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (05-22-2019)

  5. #14
    Original Ranter
    Points: 226,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    396986
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90,831
    Points
    226,969
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    18,003
    Thanked 33,929x in 24,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    True, he sought to destroy monarchy but never succeeded. Simoneau's Napolean (miniseries) seems to depict him heroically with an underlying skepticism whether he deserves that fame. Franois-Ren de Chateaubriand's criticism in "On Buonaparte and the Bourbons" in Critics of the Enlightenment reveals just how much the French lost under him.
    Chateaubriands piece was scathing. Enjoyable read.

    Napoleon sought to establish his own dynasty but the Old Regime wasn't having any of it. Very interesting historical figure. I have mixed opinions of him.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

    Chris (05-22-2019)

  7. #15
    Original Ranter
    Points: 198,266, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    45207
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    50,055
    Points
    198,266
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    18,927
    Thanked 14,202x in 10,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  8. #16
    Points: 2,539, Level: 11
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    226
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    881
    Points
    2,539
    Level
    11
    Thanks Given
    2
    Thanked 216x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    that the ends always and inevitably justify the means.

    That's the defining tenet of modern conservatism.

    Just look here. Almost all of the conservatives lie for TheCause, threaten and insult for TheCause, and in generally act very badly in the name of TheCause.

    In contrast, the liberals don't. Liberals are more the moral absolutists, while conservatives are flaming moral relativists.

    If any conservatives want to disagree, they should start by renouncing all these vague threats of "retribution". Those are political thug tactics, unworthy of decent people. I doubt we'll see that happen, of course, as it's a law of the conservative thug cult here that one must never criticize the bad actions of a fellow thug cult member. Instead, one must heap praise on those making the threats.

    Needless to say, you don't see the liberals here making such threats, or going on gang insult tirades to deflect from debate. Such bad behavior is a conservative thing. In their moral relativist minds, conservatives will justify any bad behavior as being for the greater good of hating liberals.
    Last edited by mamooth; 05-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.

  9. #17
    Points: 130,836, Level: 87
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,814
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    289721
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    60,902
    Points
    130,836
    Level
    87
    Thanks Given
    47,434
    Thanked 21,088x in 16,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daenerys explains to Jon the progressive philosophy that directs her actions.

    Its not easy to see something that has never been before, she tells him gently, a good world.
    How do you know it will be good?
    Because I know what is good. And you know, too.
    Jon pauses.

    What about everyone else, the other people who think they know, too? he asks.
    Daenerys looks at him.
    They dont get to choose, she says simply.

    This has been the progressive worldview since at least the time of Lenin: the elite know best and the deplorables dont get to choose.




    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post

    If any conservatives want to disagree, they should start by renouncing all these vague threats of "retribution". Those are political thug tactics, unworthy of decent people. I doubt we'll see that happen, of course, as it's a law of the conservative thug cult here that one must never criticize the bad actions of a fellow thug cult member. Instead, one must heap praise on those making the threats.

    Needless to say, you don't see the liberals here making such threats, or going on gang insult tirades to deflect from debate. Such bad behavior is a conservative thing. In their moral relativist minds, conservatives will justify any bad behavior as being for the greater good of hating liberals.
    Retribution is Coming.

    I shall enjoy your tears.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.


    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

  10. #18
    Original Ranter
    Points: 530,094, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    427267
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    159,181
    Points
    530,094
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    93,577
    Thanked 78,244x in 52,817 Posts
    Mentioned
    2220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post

    That's the defining tenet of modern conservatism.

    Just look here. Almost all of the conservatives lie for TheCause, threaten and insult for TheCause, and in generally act very badly in the name of TheCause.

    In contrast, the liberals don't. Liberals are more the moral absolutists, while conservatives are flaming moral relativists.

    If any conservatives want to disagree, they should start by renouncing all these vague threats of "retribution". Those are political thug tactics, unworthy of decent people. I doubt we'll see that happen, of course, as it's a law of the conservative thug cult here that one must never criticize the bad actions of a fellow thug cult member. Instead, one must heap praise on those making the threats.

    Needless to say, you don't see the liberals here making such threats, or going on gang insult tirades to deflect from debate. Such bad behavior is a conservative thing. In their moral relativist minds, conservatives will justify any bad behavior as being for the greater good of hating liberals.
    Liberals reject moral absolution, natural rights, etc. Not sure how you came up with this.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Cthulhu (06-01-2019)

  12. #19
    Points: 2,539, Level: 11
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    226
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    881
    Points
    2,539
    Level
    11
    Thanks Given
    2
    Thanked 216x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Retribution is Coming.
    See? More consistent awful behavior on your part. And no conservative here will criticize it.

    As my point was how conservatives justify any bad action in the name of the greater good of their politics, I thank you for jumping in to confirm that point.

    I shall enjoy your tears.
    Some fine moral relativism on your part. You base your standards on what you think will own the libs. In contrast, liberals base their lives on doing the right thing, whether or not it pisses off conservatives.
    Last edited by mamooth; 05-31-2019 at 08:44 AM.

  13. #20
    Points: 2,539, Level: 11
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    226
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    881
    Points
    2,539
    Level
    11
    Thanks Given
    2
    Thanked 216x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Liberals reject moral absolution, natural rights, etc. Not sure how you came up with this.
    By observing that the actions of conservatives are the opposite of their words.

    Your lives are an endless quest to justify the disgusting behavior of Trump and the Republicans in the name of TheGreaterGood. Almost all remaining conservatives are flaming moral relativists.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO