User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ‘Game of Thrones’ finale has a hidden message for progressives

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    You really think so? I have long understood him as a protofascist of sorts.
    To me he was the epitome of the Roussean principle of the state will force freedom on you. He tore down the old social institutions like the church and monarchy to free people from that but put them under his dictates. He was very Hitlerian as Dumont describes him in Essays on Individualism, equalitarian individualism subordinated to power or force, which was him. Daenerys ended up the same.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    To me he was the epitome of the Roussean principle of the state will force freedom on you. He tore down the old social institutions like the church and monarchy to free people from that but put them under his dictates. He was very Hitlerian as Dumont describes him in Essays on Individualism, equalitarian individualism subordinated to power or force, which was him. Daenerys ended up the same.
    He had a strange and sometimes hostile relationship with the Church but i don't think he destroyed the monarchy. He was in some ways a usurper and it was true what he said: I found the French Crown lying in the gutter and i picked it up on the tip of my sword. I agree he was Hitlerian. I saw Abel Gance's Napoleon in college. It made a strong impression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_(1927_film)
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    He had a strange and sometimes hostile relationship with the Church but i don't think he destroyed the monarchy. He was in some ways a usurper and it was true what he said: I found the French Crown lying in the gutter and i picked it up on the tip of my sword. I agree he was Hitlerian. I saw Abel Gance's Napoleon in college. It made a strong impression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_(1927_film)

True, he sought to destroy monarchy but never succeeded. Simoneau's Napolean (miniseries) seems to depict him heroically with an underlying skepticism whether he deserves that fame. François-René de Chateaubriand's criticism in "On Buonaparte and the Bourbons" in Critics of the Enlightenment reveals just how much the French lost under him.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-22-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    True, he sought to destroy monarchy but never succeeded. Simoneau's Napolean (miniseries) seems to depict him heroically with an underlying skepticism whether he deserves that fame. François-René de Chateaubriand's criticism in "On Buonaparte and the Bourbons" in Critics of the Enlightenment reveals just how much the French lost under him.
    Chateaubriands piece was scathing. Enjoyable read.

Napoleon sought to establish his own dynasty but the Old Regime wasn't having any of it. Very interesting historical figure. I have mixed opinions of him.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-22-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071x in 788 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    that the ends always and inevitably justify the means.

That's the defining tenet of modern conservatism.

Just look here. Almost all of the conservatives lie for TheCause, threaten and insult for TheCause, and in generally act very badly in the name of TheCause.

In contrast, the liberals don't. Liberals are more the moral absolutists, while conservatives are flaming moral relativists.

If any conservatives want to disagree, they should start by renouncing all these vague threats of "retribution". Those are political thug tactics, unworthy of decent people. I doubt we'll see that happen, of course, as it's a law of the conservative thug cult here that one must never criticize the bad actions of a fellow thug cult member. Instead, one must heap praise on those making the threats.

Needless to say, you don't see the liberals here making such threats, or going on gang insult tirades to deflect from debate. Such bad behavior is a conservative thing. In their moral relativist minds, conservatives will justify any bad behavior as being for the greater good of hating liberals.
    Last edited by mamooth; 05-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daenerys explains to Jon the progressive philosophy that directs her actions.

“It’s not easy to see something that has never been before,” she tells him gently, “a good world.”
    “How do you know it will be good?”
    “Because I know what is good. And you know, too.”
    Jon pauses.

“What about everyone else, the other people who think they know, too?” he asks.
    Daenerys looks at him.
    “They don’t get to choose,” she says simply.

This has been the progressive worldview since at least the time of Lenin: the elite know best and the deplorables don’t get to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post

If any conservatives want to disagree, they should start by renouncing all these vague threats of "retribution". Those are political thug tactics, unworthy of decent people. I doubt we'll see that happen, of course, as it's a law of the conservative thug cult here that one must never criticize the bad actions of a fellow thug cult member. Instead, one must heap praise on those making the threats.

Needless to say, you don't see the liberals here making such threats, or going on gang insult tirades to deflect from debate. Such bad behavior is a conservative thing. In their moral relativist minds, conservatives will justify any bad behavior as being for the greater good of hating liberals.
    Retribution is Coming.

I shall enjoy your tears.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post

That's the defining tenet of modern conservatism.

Just look here. Almost all of the conservatives lie for TheCause, threaten and insult for TheCause, and in generally act very badly in the name of TheCause.

In contrast, the liberals don't. Liberals are more the moral absolutists, while conservatives are flaming moral relativists.

Liberals reject moral absolution, natural rights, etc. Not sure how you came up with this.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (06-01-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Retribution is Coming.
    See? More consistent awful behavior on your part. And no conservative here will criticize it.

As my point was how conservatives justify any bad action in the name of the greater good of their politics, I thank you for jumping in to confirm that point.

I shall enjoy your tears.
    Some fine moral relativism on your part. You base your standards on what you think will own the libs. In contrast, liberals base their lives on doing the right thing, whether or not it pisses off conservatives.
    Last edited by mamooth; 05-31-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Liberals reject moral absolution, natural rights, etc. Not sure how you came up with this.
    By observing that the actions of conservatives are the opposite of their words.

Your lives are an endless quest to justify the disgusting behavior of Trump and the Republicans in the name of TheGreaterGood. Almost all remaining conservatives are flaming moral relativists.

+ Reply to Thread