The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably some sort of nutritional deficiency. I get why some people are vegans. These animals go through some awful stuff. It's a brutal, ugly world. I'm not sure if God created it or it was nature and evolution but it's awful all the same.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can eat healthy vegan but its not easy, you have to have a huge variety of food since things you eat are seasonal, when its not the season. you have to replace it with something in season.

Theres alot of nutrients in meat and it takes several non meat replacements to supplement it besides protein.

Like amino acids etc
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    There are lots of reasons that people become vegetarians or even vegans, and I very much doubt that politics has a lot to do with it, for most folks.

Yes, for some it's about not eating even moderately intelligent creatures, but you certainly don't have to be a "liberal" to have qualms about factory farming and such. For others, it's more for whatever health benefits such a diet conveys. While no vegetarian myself, I find myself eating less meat these days, particularly red meat, because - as happens when some people get older - some of my tastes have changed; things that used to taste good no longer do.
    I go out of my way to not eat animals from conventional factory farms (CFF) for two reasons. First the way they are treated. And second for health reasons. They are not that healthy to eat and many of the studies of the dangers of red meat concern CFF beef, not grass fed beef. The ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is a main problem with CCF beef. Too many Omega 6s- that creates inflammation in the body. Inflammation seems to trigger a lot of conditions and diseases.
    Last edited by Peter1469; 05-28-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I go out of my way to not eat animals from conventional factory farms (CFF) for two reasons. First the way they are treated. And second for health reasons. They are not that healthy to eat and many of the studies of the dangers of red meat concern CFF beef, not grass fed beef. The ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is a main problem with CCF beef. Too many Omega 6s- that creates inflammation in the body. Inflammation seems to trigger a lot of conditions and diseases.
    As I have said before, there's more to it than what you are looking at. I understand you are not interested in the fact that animal protein promotes cancer, to the extent that you won't even take the time to read the evidence.

But here's a different reason not to eat beef: Beef is high in iron whether it's grass fed or not and the iron is not the same as you would get from plant foods. Red meat contains heme iron that builds up in the body and is bad for the brain. Iron from plant foods like spinach is called non-heme iron and does not build up in the body as excess amounts will be excreted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpster For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-30-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    As I have said before, there's more to it than what you are looking at. I understand you are not interested in the fact that animal protein promotes cancer, to the extent that you won't even take the time to read the evidence.

But here's a different reason not to eat beef: Beef is high in iron whether it's grass fed or not and the iron is not the same as you would get from plant foods. Red meat contains heme iron that builds up in the body and is bad for the brain. Iron from plant foods like spinach is called non-heme iron and does not build up in the body as excess amounts will be excreted.
    First of all, he's not eating a side of beef daily. Secondly, beef contains a mix of both kinds of iron. Third, it's much easier for our bodies to absorb heme iron.

Iron deficiency remains a problem for women in the US. Advising against the consumption of iron from animal sources is seriously bad advice.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-30-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post

The cancer issues with animal protein have to do with the ratio of Omega 3-6 transfatty acids.

Period. Iron is not going to be an issue from diet. Most are deficient unless they eat red meat.

So yes, if you eat grass fed animals that have the correct ratio you are not in danger of increased cancer risk. (Outside of side issues like overcooking.)
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Mister D (05-30-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    First of all, he's not eating a side of beef daily.
    It doesn't matter because, over time, it accumulates to the amount found in a side of beef. Duh!

Secondly, beef contains a mix of both kinds of iron.
    Where is the proof that it contains a mix of both? Anyway, it doesn't matter because red meat is rich in heme iron and will still accumulate in the brain and promote dementia.

Third, it's much easier for our bodies to absorb heme iron.
    All the more reason why it will accumulate to high levels in the brain and promote dementia.

Iron deficiency remains a problem for women in the US. Advising against the consumption of iron from animal sources is seriously bad advice.
    So you think that everyone must eat red meat because women of child bearing age may have a deficiency? Women don't need you to figure that out.

The same rule applies to older women: Heme iron can accumulate to excess levels in the brain and promote dementia.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 05-30-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vegetarians and vegans are a pain in the ass at my BBQs and social events that I host. I would not mind them if I had advanced warning when they RSVP. "over there are the vegetable and fruit trays. Excuse me I have to get back to the grill full of dead animal parts".
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-30-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    The cancer issues with animal protein have to do with the ratio of Omega 3-6 transfatty acids.

Period. Iron is not going to be an issue from diet. Most are deficient unless they eat red meat.

So yes, if you eat grass fed animals that have the correct ratio you are not in danger of increased cancer risk. (Outside of side issues like overcooking.)
    About cancer: All animal protein contains "Insulin-like growth factor 1" (IGF1) regardless of what the animals are fed.

About iron and dementia: Red meat contains heme-iron and can accumulate to high levels in the brain which can contribute to dementia in older people.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,092x in 12,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Vegetarians and vegans are a pain in the ass at my BBQs and social events that I host. I would not mind them if I had advanced warning when they RSVP. "over there are the vegetable and fruit trays. Excuse me I have to get back to the grill full of dead animal parts".
    I heard a comedian the other day making an interesting point. At most get togethers, the meat-eating hosts will provide a vegetarian option for those who want or need that...but when have you ever been to a vegetarian's house for a meal and there was a meat option for those who were not vegetarians?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

+ Reply to Thread