User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We have greatly underestimated feminism's harmful influence on millennials......

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,577x in 25,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    They are very entitled. They have been catered to like royalty their entire lives and believe that the education that they received is now a free pass - they just have to do the minimum and reap the rewards that prior generations had to really work for. The problem is that their familiarity with technology has been interpreted as greater intelligence and knowledge, but TBH to a Luddite any technical knowledge seems like magic. They are not that special. They were raised with technology. That's like revering those who learned to drive cars when they were first manufactured. I run circles around many millennials when it comes to technology. They know what they were taught but they are often incapable of teaching themselves (which I have done, all my life). That's the difference between knowing what you need to learn to do the job and assuming that you came out of school knowing everything there is to know.
    It is tiring having to change their diapers also.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-27-2019)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,316
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,042x in 8,891 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    My dad graduated with a degree in business. Yet taught himself chemistry and became the chief chemist for our local chemical plant. Then when he burned out on that he taught himself computers and code and ended up creating the first nationwide computer network for that company. He continued to work as a consultant after he retired.
    Your Dad sounds like he was a pretty "can do" individual who only saw challenges, not limitations.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-27-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,369x in 94,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Your Dad sounds like he was a pretty "can do" individual who only saw challenges, not limitations.
    He was.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-27-2019)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,316
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,042x in 8,891 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    He was.
    I understand his spirit. I dragged our department kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Left unto their own devices they would have been relying on 19th century technology for most things, other than the main computer system. We went completely paperless 3 years before the rest of the company and I became a superuser for database apps that only the IT people were using. It was a hard sell because they were terrified of technology. I also helped design the new claims system, which was developed about two years before the accounting and underwriting systems because I could communicate with the IT people in a way that they understood. I spoke their language. When necessary I would put what I wanted into a formula which they could convert into Java. They almost never had to go back and do anything over again unless I forgot something. I put the kibosh on anything coming from the international units that was stupid or ensured that those "ideas" were confined to their units. At the end of the day our international claims community was in love with our claims system. It was incredibly easy to use and completely intuitive. Then the mother ship decided to impose a juggernaut of an SAP system on the entire company. It is antiquated and horribly difficult and inefficient to use. Great for accounting but nothing else. Everyone is very unhappy.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread