Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Uh, Who, you made the claim, now you provide the evidence, don't shift the burden to others.

Has it ever crossed your progressive imagination that the legal complexity inherent in the modern centralized State is what caused this incomprehensible mess? That in fact, things are worse in modern times than prehistoric to pr-modern times?
    Start with this: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...roit/26312107/
    http://www.parking-net.com/about-par...ory-of-parking
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    OK, so just to recall the context, you're trying to prove city parking laws were created in response to complaints.

Your first link describes how the city of Detroit invented the stop sign. IOW, officials invented law. It mentions nothing of citizen complaints as the driving force.

The second link describes how the first parking meter was invented in Oklahoma City. Merchants complained about traffic congestion and asked Carl Magee who invented the parking meter to limit parking times. Limiting parking times would increase congestion, not reduce it. And Roger W. Babson all on his own invented one and also filed for patent. Most people didn’t like it and likely complained, so by your theory of complaint-driven law, the meters should have been removed, but the city found it was a money-maker.
    Last edited by Chris; 06-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so just to recall the context, you're trying to prove city parking laws were created in response to complaints.

Your first link describes how the city of Detroit invented the stop sign. IOW, officials invented law. It mentions nothing of citizen complaints as the driving force.

The second link describes how the first parking meter was invented in Oklahoma City. Merchants complained about traffic congestion and asked Carl Magee who invented the parking meter to limit parking times. Limiting parking times would increase congestion, not reduce it. And Roger W. Babson all on his own invented one and also filed for patent. Most people didn’t like it and likely complained, so by your theory of complaint-driven law, the meters should have been removed, but the city found it was a money-maker.
    Underlying both articles was the problem of traffic congestion, people parking wherever they pleased and certain inherent dangers between traffic and parking. The role of city councils as representatives of the residents of cities is to deal with these problems and if necessary by creating ordinances.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Underlying both articles was the problem of traffic congestion, people parking wherever they pleased and certain inherent dangers between traffic and parking. The role of city councils as representatives of the residents of cities is to deal with these problems and if necessary by creating ordinances.
    Well, now you've changed your position from law derives from citizen complaints to it derives from elected and bureaucratic elites--which, btw, agrees with my position on modern law.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now you've changed your position from law derives from citizen complaints to it derives from elected and bureaucratic elites--which, btw, agrees with my position on modern law.
    They are not unconnected, particularly in cities. Of all levels of government, the most intimate is that of residents in cities and their representatives in municipal government.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They are not unconnected, particularly in cities. Of all levels of government, the most intimate is that of residents in cities and their representatives in municipal government.
    I see you're changing topics and your argument again.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you're changing topics and your argument again.
    It's not black and white. Clearly people in cities complain to the elected representatives about things like parking and city councils also receive feedback from businesses and municipal departments. Bigger municipalities also have city planning departments whose job it is to deal with population growth. I have said this before, but you ignore the fact that this isn't a situation of one or the other but one of cause and effect with multiple avenues leading to change.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's not black and white. Clearly people in cities complain to the elected representatives about things like parking and city councils also receive feedback from businesses and municipal departments. Bigger municipalities also have city planning departments whose job it is to deal with population growth. I have said this before, but you ignore the fact that this isn't a situation of one or the other but one of cause and effect with multiple avenues leading to change.
    Your argument was all law derives from complaint. That's what I challenged. I didn't challenge that some law derives from it.

From there you wander off into other topics and generalities.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your argument was all law derives from complaint. That's what I challenged. I didn't challenge that some law derives from it.

From there you wander off into other topics and generalities.
    There is never any middle ground with you. My argument is that the origins of most laws is complaint.

Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (06-02-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is never any middle ground with you. My argument is that the origins of most laws is complaint.
    You started off all, gave possibly one example, which amounts to some, and now you're reaching for most.

At this point it's not about middle ground, it's about chasing you around as you make unrelated claims about different things, almost as if you're in search of something you'll get right. Well, go ahead, not playing your cat and mouse game.

+ Reply to Thread