Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    When it comes to Social Security numbers, it's true - originally it was not even lawful to require the submission of those numbers for any other purpose. Now every time you open a bank account, go to a new doctor's office or apply for a credit card, you have to give them that number or, in many cases, they won't even talk to you.
    Military members used to be assigned a unique "serial number", but since 1974 the military has used Social Security numbers. (That's what they say, but I enlisted in 1972 and I know for a fact they were using SS#s then.) I remember once coming across a multi-page listing of everyone in my squadron, over three hundred people, with Social Security/Service numbers and other personal information. It was just floating around for anyone to see.
    Yes, we give our privacy, our information and in some cases our very identities away, but companies frequently give it away, too. Years ago I received a bill from Sprint for cellphone service, more than a hundred dollars, which was a surprise to me since I didn't yet have a cellphone. When I called to inform them of this little fact, the Customer Service person sounded properly concerned and sympathetic and told me that someone from their "investigations" department would be contacting me.
    A week later, their "investigations" department - which turned out to be their Collections office - called and told me that I needed to pay the bill and file a police report. When I pointed out that I didn't owe them any money, and that they had apparently given away my identity to someone on the basis of their knowing my home address and Social Security number, the Collections guy tried to make it out to be MY fault for "letting somebody find out your Social Security number". I laughed and told him that I could no doubt find out HIS Social Security number with very little effort, despite my not being either a detective or a crook. I also advised him - and subsequently had to advise higher-ups at Sprint - that THEY were the victims, not me, so if anyone needed to file a police report it was them.
    Companies, like cellphone service providers and others, are so eager for a larger share of the market dollar that they will make it as easy as possible to open an account with them. Then when they - predictably - get defrauded, they go after the individual whose identity THEY, in effect, gave away. I liken it to my walking into a supermarket, filling my cart with groceries, and then telling the cashier, "Oh, I forgot my wallet. But here's my Social Security number and home address. I'll send you a check or stop by later to pay for these." Only I give them YOUR information. A week goes by and the store manager calls you and asks, "When are you going to pay for those groceries?" You say you don't owe his store any money, have never even shopped there, and he tells you that YOU have to pay the bill anyway and file a police report.
    Just FYI... you do not need to provide your Social Security number to any doctor or dentist, or any entity that cannot state a valid purpose in obtaining it, and 'for the records' is NOT a valid purpose. They may ask for it, but it's likely for pursuing collections if they need to.

Meanwhile, don't provided it if you don't want to, just as I don't, and I do not provide my spouse's name and social security number either, even when it's on the form. No one other than me is responsible for bills I incur.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Just FYI... you do not need to provide your Social Security number to any doctor or dentist, or any entity that cannot state a valid purpose in obtaining it, and 'for the records' is NOT a valid purpose. They may ask for it, but it's likely for pursuing collections if they need to.

Meanwhile, don't provided it if you don't want to, just as I don't, and I do not provide my spouse's name and social security number either, even when it's on the form. No one other than me is responsible for bills I incur.
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that you would have to provide the number if the health care provider was going to bill a work-related insurance company or Medicare. No?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that you would have to provide the number if the health care provider was going to bill a work-related insurance company or Medicare. No?
    For health or dental insurance, you have a (group insurance) member ID. For worker's comp, it is the employers FEIN/Policy Number that is used to file a claim... WC insurance does NOT have any record of the individual employees of an employer, except as those who have files a WC claim.

There are MANY instances when the question is on a form, any question actually, that it is not necessary to provide personal information such as your SS, some even DOB if you are not inclined. Parents Cause of Death, parental or sibling health conditions, etc. The are voluntary questions, answer as you will, or won't.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Medicare:

https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help-resources/your-medicare-card

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,861x in 10,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Well, if you think you want a piece of me, I'll stick around, son.
    You were asked to show where privacy was a right in the Constitution. You didn't/couldn't do it. You can google it easily enough. Think twice about any intellectual battle. You're the knife and I'm the gun.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    One of you deep, heavy-hitting legal eagles or military bots can explain exactly what it is about entering a house univited and walking through it at your leisure, I dunno, maybe taking a few vids or snapshots of the occupants, and leaving that makes that kind of thing illegal.

I'm humbled.
    Laws.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

+ Reply to Thread