Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYS strikes again!

So my son, grandson and son-in-law are camping this weekend at a state campsite. probably for the last time. I'm old and the ground is harder than it used to be so I'm only there during the day. Don't judge me! LOL
    So first off you have to book the sites online and pay a "registration fee" in addition to the site cost. Then Reserve America offers you a discount for accepting a 30 day trial membership. Instead it appears to wind up being some rebate it takes weeks and Lord knows what hoops to get your 10.00 bucks back. Of course before that happens the trial membership automatically converts to an up front $90.00 annual fee . Not if you request it but if you don't cancel
    My beef with this? If NYS is going to farm out the registration process they should hire a company who's in the business of booking reservations not scamming campers for memberships.
    I have not really camped in years ( except a little cabin camping, ) and before that I had used "wild sites" for years. So when it took the clerk several minutes to list the rules it was a bit shocking. But the thing that really caught our attention was this. "If plastic is burned it is a 300 dollar fine AND a misdemeanor!
    Can you imagine?
    "Sir we would like to hire you, but you have this criminal record can you explain?"

"Well I was camping and I dropped my red solo cup in the fire."

Chances of being believed outside of NYS= zero.

When my son-in-law got there and we told him he summed it up perfectly "This $#@!ing state"
    Last edited by donttread; 06-01-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,754x in 1,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    So my son, grandson and son-in-law are camping this weekend at a state campsite. probably for the last time. I'm old and the ground is harder than it used to be so I'm only there during the day. Don't judge me! LOL
    So first off you have to book the sites online and pay a "registration fee" in addition to the site cost. Then Reserve America offers you a discount for accepting a 30 day trial membership. Instead it appears to wind up being some rebate it takes weeks and Lord knows what hoops to get your 10.00 bucks back. Of course before that happens the trial membership automatically converts to an up front $90.00 annual fee . Not if you request it but if you don't cancel
    My beef with this? If NYS is going to farm out the registration process they should hire a company who's in the business of booking reservations not scamming campers for memberships.
    I have not really camped in years ( except a little cabin camping, ) and before that I had used "wild sites" for years. So when it took the clerk several minutes to list the rules it was a bit shocking. But the thing that really caught our attention was this. "If plastic is burned it is a 300 dollar fine AND a misdemeanor!
    Can you imagine?
    "Sir we would like to hire you, but you have this criminal record can you explain?"

"Well I was camping and I dropped my red solo cup in the fire."

Chances of being believed outside of NYS= zero.

When my son-in-law got there and we told him he summed it up perfectly "This $#@!ing state"
    Certainly sounds excessive.

But on the plus side...it does discourage campers from burning plastic in their campfires.

Volvo

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We camped up in the finger lakes a couple times some years back when I was back east. It was a small campground, very friendly. Never had any problems other than a sudden microburst with my son and granddaughter's tent got trashed. It was a pretty exciting 10 minutes there.

I don't remember any goofy rules there either. I fished in a private pond (caught a $#@! ton), went to town for dinners and drank wine out of the bottle around the campfire.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Certainly sounds excessive.

But on the plus side...it does discourage campers from burning plastic in their campfires.
    Damn, those people would freak out if I told them I used old asphalt roofing tiles to heat up the fire in the wood barrel on chilly fall nights...and that fire was hot enough to melt aluminum bars.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant Gleed For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-01-2019)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    We camped up in the finger lakes a couple times some years back when I was back east. It was a small campground, very friendly. Never had any problems other than a sudden microburst with my son and granddaughter's tent got trashed. It was a pretty exciting 10 minutes there.

I don't remember any goofy rules there either. I fished in a private pond (caught a $#@! ton), went to town for dinners and drank wine out of the bottle around the campfire.
    State or private campground? I'm guessing private due to the pond. NYS is in a competition with california these days with California to see who can be "the most restrictive state in America". You should of seen the monster microburst in 95!

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    Damn, those people would freak out if I told them I used old asphalt roofing tiles to heat up the fire in the wood barrel on chilly fall nights...and that fire was hot enough to melt aluminum bars.
    LOL. I know guys that burn tires, or used to . these days if the state didn't get them, they would be accused of blackface everywhere they went.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    State or private campground? I'm guessing private due to the pond. NYS is in a competition with california these days with California to see who can be "the most restrictive state in America". You should of seen the monster microburst in 95!
    I'm guessing private.
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread