Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,585x in 94,416 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3D printed homes for the extreme poor

One was built in Austin a year ago and seems to be holding up. So more will be built. Could this be a relatively cheap way to provide for our extreme poor?

One year ago, America’s first 3D-printed home was unveiled in the city of Austin, Texas. In the time that has passed, the structure has proven itself to be resilient and cost-effective. Now, 50 more of the 3D-printed homes are being constructed for poor families in rural Latin America.

Icon, the tech company that designed the specialized 3D printer, partnered with the Silicon Valley-based nonprofit New Story for the initiative. Currently, they are working on constructing their “first-of-its-kind” neighborhood for Latin American families who make less than $200 per month.

The 3D-printed houses are ideal for low-income families because they are inexpensive to construct, as well as quick to build. To offer perspective, consider that a conventional house may take 4-6 months to build and cost between $300k-$600k. The 3D-printed house, on the other hand, can be constructed for roughly $10,000 and takes just 24 hours to print.

The speedy and inexpensive construction is being facilitated by the Vulcan II.

As GoodNewsNetwork reports, the 3D-printer that was designed specifically for building cheap homes. After the first 3D-printed house made headlines in 2018, the researchers spent the following year refining the design. They wanted it to be easier to use, as well as more resistant to outdoor conditions.

According to Icon, the Vulcan II is now commercially available for international use. As soon as next month, the company will begin shipping the printer. Pre-orders are being accepted for 2020.
    There is a cool video of the process at the link.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

One was built in Austin a year ago and seems to be holding up. So more will be built. Could this be a relatively cheap way to provide for our extreme poor?

Didn't we have a video up on the building of 3D homes?
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Didn't we have a video up on the building of 3D homes?
    Probably a while ago.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-06-2019)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very cool

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-06-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    That's very cool
    It is. And it may be a way to help the homeless population.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems the video is of an alligator getting a new tail printed, but I saw 3D house printing in person at a builder's show in Dallas last year.

It's pretty amazing, but I think the issue with housing for the homeless is more about trying to develop a sense of ownership, or at least a sense of respect for the property.

With any house material, you're still going to have to install the mechanical systems; plumbing, HVAC, wiring, and those all require care and a modicum of maintenance. Every "project" I've seen to house low-income individuals has turned to crap within a few short years, mostly because they don't care. There's a mental side to homelessness and I think it has to be addressed before we can successfully put these folks in residences.

But, 3D construction can only get bigger and more widespread. The demonstration I saw used a cementious-based product that was "hot," meaning it set up very quickly. The only problem I can see with that is that cement off-gasses for a while, sometimes for years, and those gasses can be toxic if they get into the interior of a home.

I do think we'll see a lot more of it, however, and with different materials eventually.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-06-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    It seems the video is of an alligator getting a new tail printed, but I saw 3D house printing in person at a builder's show in Dallas last year.

It's pretty amazing, but I think the issue with housing for the homeless is more about trying to develop a sense of ownership, or at least a sense of respect for the property.

With any house material, you're still going to have to install the mechanical systems; plumbing, HVAC, wiring, and those all require care and a modicum of maintenance. Every "project" I've seen to house low-income individuals has turned to crap within a few short years, mostly because they don't care. There's a mental side to homelessness and I think it has to be addressed before we can successfully put these folks in residences.

But, 3D construction can only get bigger and more widespread. The demonstration I saw used a cementious-based product that was "hot," meaning it set up very quickly. The only problem I can see with that is that cement off-gasses for a while, sometimes for years, and those gasses can be toxic if they get into the interior of a home.

I do think we'll see a lot more of it, however, and with different materials eventually.
    Caring for property is definitely a concern. When I was growing up a new "project" was built across the river in New Orleans. It was basically a high rise apartment building. It looks like Beirut after 2 years.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-06-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caring for property is definitely a concern. When I was growing up a new "project" was built across the river in New Orleans. It was basically a high rise apartment building. It looks like Beirut after 2 years.
    Exactly, the mindset of caring about where one lives just isn't there for many.

We regularly contribute to the construction of Habitat for Humanity homes in our area, and while we occasionally find someone who is really interested in home ownership at such an affordable price (only the cost of the materials, taken on a low-interest loan with no down payment), way too many think they are "entitled." We have rules whereby the recipients of the home have to complete so many hours to help the builders, but most don't. One of the most memorable recipients was a single mother who sat in a lawn chair and watched us work while she chain-smoked and let her toddler get underfoot. When we asked her to keep the child away - construction zones are not child-friendly - she would curse at us and tell us we thought we were better than her. I was so glad to finish that house!
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Exactly, the mindset of caring about where one lives just isn't there for many.

We regularly contribute to the construction of Habitat for Humanity homes in our area, and while we occasionally find someone who is really interested in home ownership at such an affordable price (only the cost of the materials, taken on a low-interest loan with no down payment), way too many think they are "entitled." We have rules whereby the recipients of the home have to complete so many hours to help the builders, but most don't. One of the most memorable recipients was a single mother who sat in a lawn chair and watched us work while she chain-smoked and let her toddler get underfoot. When we asked her to keep the child away - construction zones are not child-friendly - she would curse at us and tell us we thought we were better than her. I was so glad to finish that house!
    I would have packed my stuff up and left.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread