Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,577x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    One of the things that drives me nuts is these young lawyers that think that anybody that works with their hands is less than them. I tell every one of them that it depends upon which side of the street you're standing on as to whether you're an idiot or not. I explain that I can't change a transmission but that mechanic can't try a lawsuit -- but are valuable skills and the mechanic's are probably more valuable. Some never get it and treat secretaries like crap. Drives me nuts.
    I agree with you and Countryboy above.

I can do a lot for myself, but often I hire a pro because I want the end product to look professional. If a particular project doesn't require that, I will just do it myself. I certainly don't look down on tradesmen.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (06-08-2019),DGUtley (06-08-2019),stjames1_53 (06-08-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It's not just the fact that they don't have mechanical ability, but many think those of us who do this stuff for a living, should do it for next to nothing. I'm not sure why they think tradespeople aren't worth anything. We have dedicated our lives to honing our skills so they can have a nice place, why some think that isn't valuable, is beyond me.

I was finishing up a bathroom remodel the other day, and referred a painter to this couple. The painter came out (an older woman who works with a crew of women btw) and measured the job, and gave the lady of the house a price. This was for a good sized bathroom, walk in closet, and bedroom. This is a 60's addition to a 1920 cabin. the rooms have vaulted ceilings which are at least 16 to 18 feet high. This includes removing existing wallpaper, and likely skimming all the walls and sanding, and painting. The price was $2,800, which I thought was reasonable. The couple was shocked. The lady literally said, "twenty eight hundred dollars to remove a little wallpaper glue and paint? That's ridiculous".

Have no water and then tell me a plumber isnt worth anything, have no electric and tell him how an electrician is worth nothing.

Some people think that a tradesmen that you call to your home doesnt have a right to charge you for coming to your door with his many thousands of dollars in tools and then bust his ass fixing your problem. If you dont want to pay him DO IT YOURSELF.

My neighbor asked what plumber I use, I do most of my own plumbing but at this state of life some things I wont do, he wanted a new toilet installed. I gave him my guys number, he goes across the street and gives him a price. My neighbor wanted him to go pick up the toilet and bring it to the house and install it, he $#@!ed at me for weeks over the price he charged which was cheap, my neighbor is 88 so I let it go in on ear and out the other

I dont mind paying a trademan one bit but I expect to be treated fairly and have the job done right
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

countryboy (06-08-2019),Peter1469 (06-08-2019)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things that drives me nuts is these young lawyers that think that anybody that works with their hands is less than them. I tell every one of them that it depends upon which side of the street you're standing on as to whether you're an idiot or not. I explain that I can't change a transmission but that mechanic can't try a lawsuit -- but are valuable skills and the mechanic's are probably more valuable. Some never get it and treat secretaries like crap. Drives me nuts.
    Professionals that do that are just the classic $#@!
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,457x in 13,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks brother. I'm taking that as a high compliment.

I have a sister who put herself through law school, so I know what it takes to become an attorney. I have great respect for you, and what you do. Oh and, like you, she is a conservative.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Common (06-08-2019),DGUtley (06-08-2019),Peter1469 (06-08-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only a 140 bucks. Never leave home without it.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-08-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,577x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post

Only a 140 bucks. Never leave home without it.
    I need to get one of those.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-08-2019)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    It's not just the fact that they don't have mechanical ability, but many think those of us who do this stuff for a living, should do it for next to nothing. I'm not sure why they think tradespeople aren't worth anything. We have dedicated our lives to honing our skills so they can have a nice place, why some think that isn't valuable, is beyond me.

I was finishing up a bathroom remodel the other day, and referred a painter to this couple. The painter came out (an older woman who works with a crew of women btw) and measured the job, and gave the lady of the house a price. This was for a good sized bathroom, walk in closet, and bedroom. This is a 60's addition to a 1920 cabin. the rooms have vaulted ceilings which are at least 16 to 18 feet high. This includes removing existing wallpaper, and likely skimming all the walls and sanding, and painting. The price was $2,800, which I thought was reasonable. The couple was shocked. The lady literally said, "twenty eight hundred dollars to remove a little wallpaper glue and paint? That's ridiculous".

You could probably teach yourself my lifes work of estate planning , retirement planning , hedging ags , energy, interest rates etc. You might even lose your soul and get very good at it. However , I could not teach myself skilled trades. Im ambidextrious which I do not even know if that's good bad or ugly in trades. Other than that I could not even consider fixing the things I got fixed here yesterday. I hope he knocked my head off on price because I had no choice but pay whatever it took. I didnt even ask and have yet to look at whatever I scribbled my John Han$#@! on when he finished. If i was to open a business today that was not replication such as manufacturing it would be in a blue collar industry. Everyone is playing the technology game or pimping for someone who is. Blue collar subcontracting , silent partners , reorgs of existing , buyouts and consolidations would be very ripe imo. I could not live without tradesman. Tradesman could live without me .
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (06-08-2019)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,457x in 13,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    You could probably teach yourself my lifes work of estate planning , retirement planning , hedging ags , energy, interest rates etc. You might even lose your soul and get very good at it. However , I could not teach myself skilled trades. Im ambidextrious which I do not even know if that's good bad or ugly in trades. Other than that I could not even consider fixing the things I got fixed here yesterday. I hope he knocked my head off on price because I had no choice but pay whatever it took. I didnt even ask and have yet to look at whatever I scribbled my John Han$#@! on when he finished. If i was to open a business today that was not replication such as manufacturing it would be in a blue collar industry. Everyone is playing the technology game or pimping for someone who is. Blue collar subcontracting , silent partners , reorgs of existing , buyouts and consolidations would be very ripe imo. I could not live without tradesman. Tradesman could live without me .
    There is a certain amount of natural ability needed to do trade work. After innate mechanical ability, skills can be developed, and honed over time. I have been at it for many years, and I still learn new stuff, or stumble across ways to work more efficiently. I also know tradespeople who have been at it for decades, and are still hacks. Part of that is due to a lack of natural ability, and the other part is not really caring about craftsmanship, or having a passion for working with your hands. I love what I do, and never have a "long day" at work.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,973x in 55,600 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That’s mostly because they lazy fat bodies. When I went to basic training, we lost about 15% of the trainees in the first week. From day one you could predict who they were.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-09-2019)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    That’s mostly because they lazy fat bodies. .

You rang, sir?
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

+ Reply to Thread