User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Sikh airman petitioned the Air Force to let him wear a turban and beard. He just wo

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Sikh airman petitioned the Air Force to let him wear a turban and beard. He just wo

A Sikh airman petitioned the Air Force to let him wear a turban and beard. He just won

I don't attach too much importance to this. I don't particularly care if Sikhs can go native in uniform. However, I would note that it looks like that there now is an "I" in team.

The U.S. Air Force has granted a religious accommodation to an active-duty Sikh airman that will allow him to wear a turban, beard and unshorn hair in accordance with his faith.

In a statement, Airman 1st Class Harpreetinder Singh Bajwa said he was “overjoyed that the Air Force has granted my religious accommodation. Today, I feel that my country has embraced my Sikh heritage, and I will be forever grateful for this opportunity.”

Bajwa serves as a crew chief at McChord Air Force base near Lakewood, Wash. The Air Force’s decision to allow him to maintain traditional Sikh customs in regard to his appearance is a “historic” first, says the American Civil Liberties Union. The Air Force was not immediately able to confirm that he was the first Sikh in their service who was granted such a waiver.

Bajwa is a first-generation American who enlisted in the Air Force in 2017, hoping to serve his country. In accordance with Air Force rules, but in contrast to his religious practice, he was required to cut his hair and remain cleanshaven, said Kamal Kalsi, a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve and founder of the Sikh American Veterans Alliance who helped Bajwa win his accommodation.

“The Air Force places a high value on the rights of its members to observe the tenets of their respective religions or to observe no religion at all,” Air Force spokesman Major Nicholas J. Mercurio said in a statement confirming the decision.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-08-2019)

+ Reply to Thread