Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walmart to deliver and put groceries in your fridge while your not home

Who the hell would do this, allow a stranger from walmart into your house while you are not home.

Walmart service to deliver groceries inside customers' homes

The online delivery wars are heating up inside shoppers' homes.Walmart is now offering to have one of its employees deliver fresh groceries and put them in your refrigerator when you're not home.

The nation's largest grocer said Friday that it will be offering the service this fall for more than one million customers in three cities: Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Missouri, and Vero Beach, Florida. Later this year, the service, called InHome Delivery, will also accept returns for items purchased on Walmart.com.

Continue reading below

Two years ago, Walmart tested a similar service in the Silicon Valley area but teamed up with delivery startup Deliv and worked with August Home, makers of smart locks and smart home accessories. That test has since been stopped.

The new service is part of Walmart's drive to expand its shopping options that include curbside pickup and online grocery delivery.

Amazon offers a similar service in certain cities, dropping off packages inside homes, garages or car trunks. But the service is not for groceries.

With Walmart's new service, customers place a grocery delivery order online and then select InHome Delivery and a delivery day at checkout.

Walmart workers will use smart entry technology and a proprietary wearable camera to access the customer's home. That allows shoppers to control access into their home and give them the ability to watch the delivery remotely.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/walmart-t...ustomers-homes
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Schwan's guy used to come in and put things in my fridge about 20 years ago -- but I knew him. No one locked their doors back then.

Amazon has a special camera you install to monitor the delivery person -- the Walmart deliverers wear wide angle cameras that show their hands at all times. Some of them require a keylock, such as what realtors put on the doors so they can come in.

I'm also guessing vetting will be tough for those positions, but still -- not something I'd just do.

It will, however, be handy for elderly shut-ins who can't get to the store to shop.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,756x in 15,337 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Who the hell would do this, allow a stranger from walmart into your house while you are not home.Walmart service to deliver groceries inside customers' homesThe online delivery wars are heating up inside shoppers' homes.Walmart is now offering to have one of its employees deliver fresh groceries and put them in your refrigerator when you're not home.The nation's largest grocer said Friday that it will be offering the service this fall for more than one million customers in three cities: Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Missouri, and Vero Beach, Florida. Later this year, the service, called InHome Delivery, will also accept returns for items purchased on Walmart.com.Continue reading belowTwo years ago, Walmart tested a similar service in the Silicon Valley area but teamed up with delivery startup Deliv and worked with August Home, makers of smart locks and smart home accessories. That test has since been stopped.The new service is part of Walmart's drive to expand its shopping options that include curbside pickup and online grocery delivery.Amazon offers a similar service in certain cities, dropping off packages inside homes, garages or car trunks. But the service is not for groceries.With Walmart's new service, customers place a grocery delivery order online and then select InHome Delivery and a delivery day at checkout.Walmart workers will use smart entry technology and a proprietary wearable camera to access the customer's home. That allows shoppers to control access into their home and give them the ability to watch the delivery remotely.http://www.fox5ny.com/news/walmart-t...ustomers-homes
    *Who the hell would do this, allow a stranger from walmart into your house while you are not home.* ............ The same people who would allow alexa, echo etal into their house. The same people who spill their guts and personal information on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etal. ............
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

Common (06-09-2019),MMC (06-09-2019),Peter1469 (06-09-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hanger4 View Post
    *Who the hell would do this, allow a stranger from walmart into your house while you are not home.* ............ The same people who would allow alexa, echo etal into their house. The same people who spill their guts and personal information on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etal. ............
    sad isnt it
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

hanger4 (06-09-2019)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    watching the nip and tuck style that both Amazon and Wal Mart are using as they jockey for market share will someday be a chapter in a university textbook. The rewards are basically the same as its a fight for market share, not survival. The course is tougher for Wal Mart imo because WMT has to stay near the trail of Amazon but not take their own very costly brick and mortar out of the game. The upside is Wal Mart can integrate their strategies on an upward curve or retreat , divide and rethink it from the comfort of their outlets. Its not 10 on a 10 but its a hedge against miscues.

Amazon, lack of brick and morter is their greatest strength and greatest weakness. Difficult to hide mistakes in transparent culture of amazon. My thoughts are amazon should park any mistake in plain view as a distraction. Amazon has diversification second to none and can use the wmt scuffle to build up their transportation etc. fed ex...look out Fred Smith. The dog is barking ...Amazon is rubbing your nose in it from only hours away.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-09-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No they will not
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    The Schwan's guy used to come in and put things in my fridge about 20 years ago -- but I knew him. No one locked their doors back then.

Amazon has a special camera you install to monitor the delivery person -- the Walmart deliverers wear wide angle cameras that show their hands at all times. Some of them require a keylock, such as what realtors put on the doors so they can come in.

I'm also guessing vetting will be tough for those positions, but still -- not something I'd just do.

It will, however, be handy for elderly shut-ins who can't get to the store to shop.

Sounds reasonable enough but just not sure I would let someone in when I'm not here.

For my elderly parents, who can no longer drive, I get their shopping list, go online to Walmart Grocery, order and schedule a time for pickup. They will collect the order and bring it out to my truck. No cost.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-09-2019)

Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    watching the nip and tuck style that both Amazon and Wal Mart are using as they jockey for market share will someday be a chapter in a university textbook. The rewards are basically the same as its a fight for market share, not survival. The course is tougher for Wal Mart imo because WMT has to stay near the trail of Amazon but not take their own very costly brick and mortar out of the game. The upside is Wal Mart can integrate their strategies on an upward curve or retreat , divide and rethink it from the comfort of their outlets. Its not 10 on a 10 but its a hedge against miscues.

Amazon, lack of brick and morter is their greatest strength and greatest weakness. Difficult to hide mistakes in transparent culture of amazon. My thoughts are amazon should park any mistake in plain view as a distraction. Amazon has diversification second to none and can use the wmt scuffle to build up their transportation etc. fed ex...look out Fred Smith. The dog is barking ...Amazon is rubbing your nose in it from only hours away.
    Amazon is building. Not stores, exactly. But they are building facilities where people can go to pick up their purchases.

Publix has the start of an online shopping experience. Unfortunately they have screwed it up. It is more like catalog shopping than walking the store's aisles. Nor does Publix take advantage of their backend databases. Publix knows every item I have purchased at their stores over the last decade. They failed to use it to offer me a streamlined shopping list. I buy roughly the same hundred or so items every week. With a small amount of effort they could offer me "My List" in the order they appear in the store I typically shop at. They could offer me additional items "nearby" the things I typically buy.

But they don't. Instead they did what is easiest for them rather than what is pleasing to me. I used it twice. Had they made it a better experience for me I would still be using it.

Amazon also knows every item I bought and every item I considered buying. They offer me the easy option of a repeat purchase along with items I might consider buying based on what I bought or looked at.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-09-2019)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,984x in 55,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Walmart workers will use smart entry technology and a proprietary wearable camera to access the customer's home. That allows shoppers to control access into their home and give them the ability to watch the delivery remotely.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/walmart-t...ustomers-homes
    Even if I can monitor it through video I still would not purchase this service.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Safeway home delivery (where I was at home) they brought your groceries into the kitchen and left them as I watched. I was dissatisfied because they picked produce and meat without the discerning eye that I would use. they just put stuff in bags and grabbed whatever pack of meat was on top. I'd use them for canned or boxed food if I ever tried their service again. But what's the use. I like shopping when I have to.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

+ Reply to Thread