User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Being Gay Is Linked to These Biological Mechanisms, Scientists Say .....

  1. #11
    Original Ranter
    Points: 191,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    44401
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    48,195
    Points
    191,167
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    17,647
    Thanked 13,395x in 10,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    This was not an experimental design, which generally means no inferential effect or causal inference can be established. Observational designs are great for establishing foundational work in psychology, particularly with theoretical topics like this, but are also prone to sampling bias and conclusions can be dangerous because the type of research cannot establish causal inference the way a complex design could. Rahman was correct.

    The authors of the study were psychologists, by the way.
    And here is what the Professor had to say.


    Professor Brian Mustanski, director of the Northwestern Institute for Sexual and Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing, who was not involved in the study told Newsweek this is the first study to look at three biological factors related to male sexual orientation together, and to see how they may interact to influence a man's sexual orientation.



    "Their finding that each of these biomarkers are largely unrelated suggests that genes, hormones, and the immune system may have unique influences on the development of a man's sexual orientation," he said.....snip~



    Notice how that differs with Rahmans opinion
    .
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  2. #12
    Points: 13,559, Level: 28
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2043
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Right Now? The Planet Gand
    Posts
    4,872
    Points
    13,559
    Level
    28
    Thanks Given
    492
    Thanked 2,035x in 1,585 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    It's illegal to force someone to get counseling for it.

    As I recall the law, it's illegal to OFFER it.

    Since it was a stupid law, I voted against it with paying that much attention to it. It's California, I can't recall the last time they passed a sensible law.

    It's not against the law fir parents to force the u r kids to take puberty delaying drugs, nor is it against the kaw fir doctors to prescribe them, hence they are allowed to do harm.
    Last edited by Sergeant Gleed; 06-11-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

    We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

  3. #13
    Points: 68,642, Level: 63
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    212025
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mountains of WNC
    Posts
    26,238
    Points
    68,642
    Level
    63
    Thanks Given
    12,956
    Thanked 13,134x in 8,853 Posts
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting acronym the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences has PNAS.
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

  4. #14
    Points: 101,795, Level: 77
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178009
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    33,129
    Points
    101,795
    Level
    77
    Thanks Given
    6,289
    Thanked 9,470x in 6,937 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    As I recall the law, it's illegal to OFFER it.

    Since it was a stupid law, I voted against it with paying that much attention to it. It's California, I can't recall the last time they passed a sensible law.

    It's not against the law fir parents to force the u r kids to take puberty delaying drugs, nor is it against the kaw fir doctors to prescribe them, hence they are allowed to do harm.
    It was shelved...
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  5. #15
    Points: 29,135, Level: 41
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    176387
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    11,318
    Points
    29,135
    Level
    41
    Thanks Given
    0
    Thanked 6,083x in 4,237 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    The Catholic Priesthood is a poor choice as an example of opinion or practice in gay issues. they need to recuse themselves until they get their act together. Same goes for pedophilia issues.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

    Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (06-11-2019)

  7. #16

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 118,453, Level: 83
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,197
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    338735
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    N. Pole and VA
    Posts
    25,927
    Points
    118,453
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    3,487
    Thanked 15,859x in 10,105 Posts
    Mentioned
    1528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    And here is what the Professor had to say.


    Professor Brian Mustanski, director of the Northwestern Institute for Sexual and Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing, who was not involved in the study told Newsweek this is the first study to look at three biological factors related to male sexual orientation together, and to see how they may interact to influence a man's sexual orientation.



    "Their finding that each of these biomarkers are largely unrelated suggests that genes, hormones, and the immune system may have unique influences on the development of a man's sexual orientation," he said.....snip~



    Notice how that differs with Rahmans opinion
    .
    Do you understand what I said, and what you have quoted? If each of those biomarkers are "largely unrelated" that does not suggest that hormones, genetics and the immune system may be the missing link in sexual orientation. This is a psychological fallacy in research, and the danger associated with conclusions based on this type of data.

    Also, do you understand the field of psychology? You denigrated a psychologist for commenting on the article and the results reached based on the analysis, but the article was written by psychologists.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (06-11-2019),Dr. Who (06-11-2019)

  9. #17
    Original Ranter
    Points: 191,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    44401
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    48,195
    Points
    191,167
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    17,647
    Thanked 13,395x in 10,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Do you understand what I said, and what you have quoted? If each of those biomarkers are "largely unrelated" that does not suggest that hormones, genetics and the immune system may be the missing link in sexual orientation. This is a psychological fallacy in research, and the danger associated with conclusions based on this type of data.

    Also, do you understand the field of psychology? You denigrated a psychologist for commenting on the article and the results reached based on the analysis, but the article was written by psychologists.
    Nowhere in the article does it imply that the biomarkers are the missing link in sexual orientation. Having influences doesn't equate to the cause.


    Yes I understand the field of psychology. Do you understand the field of psychology wherein they have psychologists of alligator behavior. Insect behavior. Rodent behavior. All in field wherein rarely is there unanimous agreement on just about anything.


    Does it bother you that those influences can be looked on as defects within the human condition?
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  10. #18
    Points: 114,572, Level: 82
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 2,078
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    80414
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    38,802
    Points
    114,572
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    6,117
    Thanked 12,379x in 9,382 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    Hmm

    I thought it was a lifestyle choice.
    I've always believed that it was mostly biological in men and at least partly so in women. The practices have existed across time and cultures despite horrible bigotry in many places.

  11. #19
    Points: 114,572, Level: 82
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 2,078
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    80414
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    38,802
    Points
    114,572
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    6,117
    Thanked 12,379x in 9,382 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Choice is not protected except for abortion.
    Isn't freedom, to the extent that it still exist, all about the protection of choice?

  12. #20
    Points: 453,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    396489
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    148,062
    Points
    453,703
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,169
    Thanked 44,060x in 32,457 Posts
    Mentioned
    1707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Isn't freedom, to the extent that it still exist, all about the protection of choice?
    Yes, oughtn't it.

    Way I see it anymore, you have two ideals, individualism and equalitarianism, that are ideologically complimentary, all men are created equal, right, but that in practice compete, the left looking to put them in a hierarchical relationship with equality over individuality.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO