Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,763x in 2,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    My mom used to make fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy with strawberry shortcake on my birthday! Yum!

When I was a kid my favorite BD dessert was chocolate cake, but later it became strawberry shortcake (because I was born in June and that's when all the local strawberries are available). Yum!
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 38,041x in 25,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Similar type bite. A cottontail bite takes the cake - that rabbit bit me and tried to pull the piece off. He actually braced his hind feet on me and started pulling. He was funny and spirited but no dumb passive bunny. I learned not to hold him for too long. He was a wild critter, not a domesticated bunny. We were terrible though, we used to tease him and pretend predatory assaults with our hands - I think he knew it was a game. He would sit under some piece of furniture and we would put our hands in front of him and scratch the carpet aggressively so that he would feign an attack and thump his hind legs, grunt and scratch the carpet in front of him. We would call him tiger and he was pleased that he defeated us.
    Sounds like you were asking for it. They're timid creatures but will get defensive. Their teeth are built for leafy stuff but they have big teeth and will use them if cornered.

Hind legs and enough claws back there too with kick.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,387x in 5,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sauteed or deep fried?
    Sauteed. Wonderful stuff. Making me hungry thinking about it, and I just had dinner.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

"All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-11-2019)

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,387x in 5,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    At some point when I'm more settled I want to raise goats and chickens, partly for slaughtering but I'm worried about getting attached to them. I'm kind of the same way with critters.

Not overly though.
    When I lived in Hawaii I had a pet chicken named McNuggets. They're actually smarter than most people think. I thought she might be lonely, so I got her a fertilized egg to sit on, and when it hatched she had a chick to be mother to. Whatever kind of chicken the chick was was bigger than whatever she was, 'cause it wasn't too long before it was a head taller. I named him Chicky Babe. She used to run around the yard trying to protect him by putting her wing over his head, but she had a hard time reaching that high. I had a forty pound Lab-Shepherd mix named Zorro, and McNuggets would get all flustered and crazy when he went in the yard, thinking he was going to hurt her baby.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

"All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (06-11-2019),Dr. Who (06-11-2019)

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,760
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Sounds like you were asking for it. They're timid creatures but will get defensive. Their teeth are built for leafy stuff but they have big teeth and will use them if cornered.

Hind legs and enough claws back there too with kick.
    He didn't like being held for long. We had him from the time he was small enough to need to be fed milk from an eye dropper, but he was never domesticated. More fool me for thinking I could hold on to him for very long once he reached adulthood, but I was 8 and stupid in that respect. When he was biting me, as much as I wanted to just drop him, I didn't want him to be hurt. My mother grabbed him and put him down. Lesson learned. Their teeth are incredibly sharp, like scissors. My Dad made him a harness so we could take him for a walk - we lived near a field and large grove of trees. He would hop along the path and abruptly stop if there was a piece of grass "blocking his way". He would sniff both ends of the grass and then chop it in the middle. He did the same thing with speaker wires, LOL. Walking a rabbit is very strange. They will hop along very quickly and then without warning stop. He was happy for the adventure, however if you left the front door open, he wouldn't go outside. At one point we were going to release him to the wild - he refused to leave.

We had a narrow window by the front door which he liked to frequent, however if he saw a cat he would hide, like behind the refrigerator or deep in the crawl space. If you think finding a cat that is hiding is difficult, you should try a wild rabbit.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (06-11-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    When I lived in Hawaii I had a pet chicken named McNuggets. They're actually smarter than most people think. I thought she might be lonely, so I got her a fertilized egg to sit on, and when it hatched she had a chick to be mother to. Whatever kind of chicken the chick was was bigger than whatever she was, 'cause it wasn't too long before it was a head taller. I named him Chicky Babe. She used to run around the yard trying to protect him by putting her wing over his head, but she had a hard time reaching that high. I had a forty pound Lab-Shepherd mix named Zorro, and McNuggets would get all flustered and crazy when he went in the yard, thinking he was going to hurt her baby.
    Awww - that's adorable. My aunt had a pet duck for many years. IIRC it loved hot dogs. She always kept a kiddie pool in the back yard for the duck, which she called duck duck. I don't recall where she kept it in the winter.
    Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (06-11-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Sauteed. Wonderful stuff. Making me hungry thinking about it, and I just had dinner.
    I like chicken livers, but they are very rich. I use them in poultry dressing, mixed with ground pork and bread. I've never tried eating them as a meal.
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,231x in 6,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    My Mother (R.I.P.) used to do that and I'd always pick her lasagna. Now, we'll go out to brunch and I'll pay.
    We have a beautiful place a group of us go to on holidays, Fathers Day is Brunch, thats where were going
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

GROUCHO MARX,

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,096x in 1,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like chicken livers, but they are very rich. I use them in poultry dressing, mixed with ground pork and bread. I've never tried eating them as a meal.
    For chicken? Never heard of such a thing as poultry dressing for chicken. Interesting, but sounds like a lot of trouble for what you get out of a fairly small bird.
    You will rue forever that you ever supported the post-2007 democrat party.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    For chicken? Never heard of such a thing as poultry dressing for chicken. Interesting, but sounds like a lot of trouble for what you get out of a fairly small bird.
    Usually it's for turkey, but you can stuff a capon.
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread